Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

The yards, gaff and boom look great. Very clean and well put together!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hate to tell you, but even though some of the thumbnails are available, nothing shows up when you click on them. I'm just FULL of good news these days, eh? Wife says I'm full of something all right...

Brian

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Greatgalleons, The Niagara is my second ship and I've been inspired by your work. I have bunches of questions but if I asked then all at once this would be one long message. Perhaps the best way is to ask  when I hit that point in my build.  I am ready to start framing for the gun ports and sweeps. The stern has been troublesum, the plans show somewwhat of a arch to the top rail on the transom. All of my stanchion frames lined up flat across the top. I am not so far along that I couldn't redo the entire transom area. Any Thoughts?

Jerry

Yes you can always add a little curve with extra wood to the top if you want . I did make a very slight curve. I'm done with the wood working on my build and there is so much wood left over more than half provided in the kit. Keep adding and taking away wood from that area till it's the way you like it.

Edited by greatgalleons

Very nice looking work! You've been busy as that's quite a bit of work. Jerry, had you thought about starting you own build log so we can see your progress as well?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

patrickmil, I have thought about starting a log but first I have to figure out how to post pics. I am finding my way around this site by trial and error. I've been looking at all of the Niagara build logs and found it a great source of information. Just reading the posts has answered some of my questions.

Jerry,

Take your pics first.  Open them up on your computer.  I use paint and resize them down to 13% both ways.  Then post a comment.  Then go back and edit it using the full edit tab.  This allows you to then locate your pics in your saved file on your computer.  Once find it and upload it put your blinking curser in your test where you want the pic to go.  Then add the pick to the post.  It's really quite simple once you do it a few times.

With all the builds you have under your belt, I figure you have a pretty solid idea on some more intermediate ships I might be interested in. I'm not ready to be as picky about history as I am gaining experience. I aim to get 3 new ships with my tax refund. Wondering if you could name a few I should look at. Like I say, intermediate level. No solid hulls, please.

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Oh, and they gotta have cannons :10_1_10:

In Dry Dock:

hey brian , my second and third builds were intermediate level kits by mamoli, not too expensive and not too large either.  I chose the golden hind and rattlesnake just for the practice I needed for advance level kits like the wasa by corel. I really needed the practice too. here are the actual builds in the pics.

my third build the rattlesnake I chose to practice using different wood and scratched built some parts in wood which were cast in metal.  I really spent a lot of time bashing that kit , just for fun.

after that I practiced on Artesania Sanfransico II, Santa Maria, Mamoli HMS Beagle, and the corel Half Moon all intermediate level

you can try the half moon by corel its an easy build also , not too large. 

as far as kits go today I choose them on the quality of the wood supplied.  I think corel, mantua, constructo and artesania have some nice wood and better castings than mamoli. After so many builds I also try to choose smaller builds no larger than 28  to 30 inches long.

post-2054-0-46875900-1396530628_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-60669800-1396530630_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-44692300-1396530643_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-83639400-1396530674_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-22613800-1396530677_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-47220300-1396530679_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks, I think I'll do them so I can follow your build logs. You detail well what needs to be done and adjusted.

You mentioned somewhere that you donate a lot of them, but I don't recall where I saw that. I don't have the space either, but I'm hooked on this hobby.

Brian