Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

thanks everyone.........it's an excellent idea Andy....thank you!   I'm going to try making a slatted one.....I agree.  I even have a couple of extra hinges left over.  I can either leave it extended {so I can do a bit more brass work},  or make it folded up......I'llhave to toy with it to see what would be best.  my jaw dropped dude,  when I saw it......sso cool! ;)

the spindles for the railings,  Keith,  are Billing's answer for eye bolts.   in a lot of their kits, instead of the normal rounded eye bolts that we all know,   they have ....to put it simply.......stubby pegs with a hole through it.   they don't look like eye bolts at all,  but I have found uses for them.   I have some other different stanchions...different heights.  note that the inner ones are a bit higher than the outer ones.....I have some taller than that.  but these serve the purpose very well for what they do.   I have to get some more now.....for when I get back to the trawler Syborn.....I'm starting to run low :)

again,  I want to thank everyone for your kind comments.....I guess I can't call this boat,  my mistake,  any more.   I was thinking about it the other day,  while I was working on her.........I wondered if this was the biggest  'boo boo' than anyones ever recovered from.  the misstrung line......the malshapen fitting......I think it's quite funny that I did it to an entire boat.  I'm so glad I chose to go this route ;)

I don't believe I posted the results of the gauge panels.......they are installed on the boats

post-612-0-45149200-1365344950_thumb.jpg

here is the panel for the Denny-Zen...........

post-612-0-37094200-1365345013_thumb.jpg

and the panel for the Phylly C.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking at the prototype photos... aside form that fancy one for the I/O drive, doesn't look like any of them had hinges. The more thought I give it, the more I think it would be better without hinges. It's such a complex piece of wood work, too much extra would take away from its intended effect.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

while I did notice that some were fastened using knees......I'm sure that some were hinged, so they could be folded up when not in use.  on the I/O one the center is hinged.......probably to make it easy to access the prop.   .....and what about after it is trailered {for the week-end sailor}??   something to think about.........I clicked on the I/O....and it appears to be attached with metal brackets

post-612-0-96380500-1365354462.jpg

I'll show it like this..........but I won't need to have this hinged center,  since the prop is behind the rudder.  I can improvise on the bracketing.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I agree Andy.........rounded and tapered it is.......:)    if I were to do anything to the stern Keith........I'd add a diving platform as well!...just kidding........I'm not that far off my nut!  ;)

thanks John.......that will be how it will look..........{I hope!}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Maybe try making one with the slats transverse and the other longitudinal... just in case, you sometimes it helps to really see the merits of each on the model.. besides, you can always re-use the one not chosen on another build.. :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Good thoughts Andy, or have a swimming platform on the Denny Zen also. They'll have to do something waiting for them lobsters to snare themselves.

No diving board huh, what about the on board HOT TUB!

Seriously though I love the crazy thoughs your builds stir in me. Who needs rules in a hobby other then those you make.

Hi Popeye,

Sorry have not been around too much lately. Just a wonder build on your LB. I love all the detail on your traps. I am not going to tell how many pages I had to read just to catch, I am little ashamed not folloowing a friends log lately.

But I have it just some really beautiful modeling you are doing there. And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the MRS....

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

it's OK Mario........it happens to me as well.........especially when I take time to build.  besides......look at all the material you can read :)

that's the thing about bash 'n scratch Keith........so much can be thought up......some works,  and some don't.   it's very easy to lose track of the finish line.......remember,  some builds can be infinite,  so it's good to draw that imaginary line.   I'm going to do what I'm doing with these two......and that's it.   I have done the swim platform.....it is as it is......I think it looks good......I hope you folks agree {I do hope I make your day as well Andy........I hope I made good on your suggestion}  ;)     now I have to make the wipers............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's nice to have a fast computer.........complied!

it starts with making the swim platform......I chose to do it like the I/O platform,  but without the separation in the middle.  it is 3/32 thick.....

post-612-0-16455800-1365448268_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07653000-1365448276_thumb.jpg

rounded the ends and the edges as well....even the slats

post-612-0-50033100-1365448310_thumb.jpg

then a light stain

post-612-0-86584600-1365448334_thumb.jpg

since it is to be a fixed platform,  the brackets for it needs to be made

post-612-0-24488400-1365448386_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86552900-1365448434_thumb.jpg

a light coat of semi gloss lacquer later

post-612-0-09149100-1365448474_thumb.jpg

when it was dry,  the brackets were cemented on

post-612-0-16035100-1365448511_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the ladder for the starboard side was made

post-612-0-10870100-1365448572_thumb.jpg

after making a pair of foot rests for the upper ends it was dry fitted.

post-612-0-82468500-1365448648_thumb.jpg

the brackets on the platform were painted steel and the rest of it got a coat of semi gloss lacquer

post-612-0-08412700-1365448704_thumb.jpg

then it was assembled on the stern,  complete with support ropes.....these can be painted steel to simulate cable.  I also want to add 10mm brads to the brackets to simulate fasteners

post-612-0-40080200-1365448843_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-64560400-1365448860_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70988900-1365448875_thumb.jpg

back to the ladders,  the starboard ladder was painted flat white.   another one was created for the platform.......it too was painted flat white

post-612-0-84372400-1365449005_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-15404000-1365449019_thumb.jpg

I had also forgotten the decals for the engine cover....ID placards and such.   these parts were then assembled onto the boat.

post-612-0-77426600-1365449089_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53109400-1365449100_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Splendid work.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

thanks John......first time I made one of these........I'll definitely keep it in mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I may make a rack for the skis.......I'm not sure.   I was thinking of just leaving them loose on the deck.......might even add some ski poles

{I'm just joking..............just joking!}   hee....heee.....thanks for the good word!

I did good Andy..............'WHEW".....glad you like it........:)   {now I can smile like a cheshire cat}.......I thank you good sir......(:  :)  even if your just being kind......it made for a great addition to the boat.   I am pleased!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks very much John  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You could go crazy and throw in a wake board.  Or really really crazy and put on a para sail.   ;)

Edited by DSiemens

believe it or not Daniel.......I was going to set up for a kite glider........but then I woke up from my nap.   both good ideas,  but I see the finish line and I'm going for it.........either that or I'll see more than Russia from MY house !  LOL!  ;)  thanks for the thought.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There are those who have vision but lack execution, and those who have fantastic execution but have no real vision - they can only do what is on the instructions....you, my friend, can do both amazingly well. I know its been said dozens of times over your 28 pages here....but your little details truly make the boats amazing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Nice detailing there Popeye. This is when your builds really come alive.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Absolutely fantastic Popeye, both boats look great, I can almost feel your satisfaction from here.

Very very well done mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thank you very much Sarah......I had written a tongue twister like that once before....but I would have to look at where I wrote it,  to be able to repeat it  LOL!  as a matter of fact......just for you:

"time has a way of creating the most memorable of moments.  but,  it also has a way to take away the object of those memories,  so all that is left,  are the memories of the moments that were so memorable."

thank you for your kind words.  ;)

thanks Sjors..........I thought you were following ;)   always glad your here watching  :)

thank you Patrick and Mobbsie.........I appreciate your kind words  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: