Maine Lobster Boat by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Midwest Products

That sorting table is great.  You keep us amazed with all the additions.

Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you Sjors and Bob..........there's more that needs to be added to it.....but i'll get there ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have some progress that I did yesterday......it's not complete,  but here is what I have.   the windows need to be put it......these can be done from the outside.   it's hard to see them,  but the front windows are there.

post-612-0-32025500-1363479877.jpg

to trim out the frames,  I'm going be using angle molding.......I have some quarter round stuff,  but it didn't look good.

post-612-0-43222200-1363479975.jpg

the bottoms and tops needed to be notched to accept the side moldings

post-612-0-28318800-1363480031.jpg

as the molding were run top and bottom,   the sides were cemented in.   I used the window maker to do this......it won't cloud the cello.

post-612-0-92891100-1363480121.jpg

post-612-0-12483300-1363480131.jpg

post-612-0-53108000-1363480142.jpg

the port side windows were next

post-612-0-42921900-1363480187.jpg

post-612-0-10481200-1363480199.jpg

post-612-0-55170200-1363480209.jpg

the starboard window is a single window,  tirangular like the one on the port side.  I will squeeze that one in the nest session I get into.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks for the good word David......this is what I had to do,  to get back on subject...LOL!  I seem to be paying more attention to the Denny-Zen though........there's more to do.   I'll get to the Phylly C soon enough.  thanks for looking in ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work on the windows, Popeye.  No fingerprints!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

They are hard to see.  Well done!  Seem's like I used to fog mine up all the time or smear them up with glue.    

thanks john :)

all prints are wiped prior to installation Augie......but I can't seem to get away from the dust particles.

this clear cello didn't come with the kit.  some cello {looking through it} shows distortion of what your seeing through it.....this stuff gives a very clear view....I think that's the cool part :)   that's also the nice thing about this window maker,  it dries clear and disappears.....but I did take a thin strip of the cello material,  and scraped the excess that oozed out along the edges.  thanks for the good word Daniel

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, that is some fantastic work on the windows. I hadn't thought of using something like molded styrene for trim. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

It can't be crazy enough for the spinach man! He's kind a McGiver - without the explosions ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Now are you going to install real window wipers (complete with rubber squeegee)?

It would go a long way in keeping the dust off ;)

Just another silly suggestion... :P

Keep up the good work,

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy has a pretty good idea there Popeye................ I'm sure you'er thinking very seriously about it....... the windows look great , nice job!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

A very nice built, the details are splended. Read your log with pleasure. Thanks.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Between Sjors and Andy, you're getting some pretty interesting ideas.  Hmm... what about the washer nozzles for the window if you add the wipers?  I'll go hide quietly now. post-76-0-99084600-1363561392.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There's some very impressive work going on here Popeye, along with the wipers and spray nozzels how about an air horn on the roof for those long foggy nights.

Enjoying the log my friend.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Now are you going to install real window wipers (complete with rubber squeegee)?

It is not actually that difficult to make them

post-202-0-13125800-1363562445_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-96686700-1363562448_thumb.jpg

The rubber is bicycle inner tube rubber a little bit if .003" shim-stock folded over the rubber.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Only Andy............the wipers again!    man,  the last time you mentioned that,  I almost got sent to the rubber room by the admiral!  to make matters worse......if I did one boat.........I'd have to do them both...that's six wipers!

I'll get right on it !  :)

thanks everyone for the good comments........I'm really surprised!   I made the wipers for the M&M fun ship......yea,  the admiral accused me of prolonging the build on her.......but when she had it in her hot little hands,  she was a very happy camper!   that's a really cool wiper Michael......you better save that one for your BIG build ;)    at this scale,  I won't go that elaborate.....but I think I can make the to look like they have rubbers on them.   I'll look into it........it is doable :)    the build{s}  is far from being finished at the moment........still more to go.

thanks again for all the good words.........it makes all the crazy stuff I think up,  all worth wile.   your ideas are priceless as well!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well... Now you've got instructional photos... So if you find yourself in the "rubber room" (personally I think it may rank only slightly above "dog house"), you can go with pride knowing you're in good company.... With the rest of us nuts :P

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

thanks Andy........this hobby breeds insanity.......but I'm too far gone to know :)   I'll come up with something,  I'm sure!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Loving it and all the details. That cooler is awesome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

thanks Sarah :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have made some progress off and on during the last couple of days.   the starboard side window is in place now.

post-612-0-41344600-1363870138.jpg

post-612-0-46475200-1363870147.jpg

post-612-0-89296800-1363870154.jpg

post-612-0-52677100-1363870163.jpg

then ........I did it.   I'm not totally pleased with what I did....I fear that I made the boat look like crap.  I started out by adding some weathering to the sorting table.

post-612-0-67303300-1363870304.jpg

....and then it sort of fanned out over the entire boat........

post-612-0-45840000-1363870351.jpg

post-612-0-88647200-1363870365.jpg

post-612-0-00357100-1363870377.jpg

post-612-0-97828600-1363870386.jpg

the extra trap was added,  along with a couple more rope coils.   what I'm using here is the hemp rope, that I have used on earlier builds.   I like the looks of this rope.

post-612-0-97249000-1363870544.jpg

here is a comparison of the original buoy plugs that came with the kit,  and the buoys I made.....I did size them down some.

post-612-0-24031400-1363870629.jpg

post-612-0-26550200-1363870640.jpg

the relation of the buoy and the trap isn't too far out,  so .....the heck with it,  I'll use them.   I also started to make the front doors for the other traps.

post-612-0-70844300-1363870771.jpg

I bought this senery material for my B&M snow plow diorama......that's been in the closet for a while now.   I only need a little of it for what I want to do.

post-612-0-45389400-1363870919.jpg

post-612-0-06799700-1363870937.jpg

after the doors were bent to fit,  a bit more will be done to the traps,  before they are cemented on.  

more progress soon :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, what made you change your mind on weathering the Denny Zen? I think it looks good and well used though. The debris in the lobster traps will really help add to the realism. As an armor modeler I enjoy weathering and think this looks really nice on your boat too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Popeye, 

Is the Denny Zen a working boat or a show piece, she now looks like a working boat and is the better for it. She looked good before but I like the way you have her now.  :)  :)

Pots are brill and when the vegitation goes in so much the better.

Well done my friend. :)

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Patrick.......I wasn't going to,  but I was going to do the skids,  the table,  and the equipment.  the sorting table is connected to the decking,  so I strafed the deck to the fore cabin door and helm area......it progressed from there.   I used a semi stiff squared artist's brush,  and that's what I think,  I don't like about it.   I thnk that when the traps are on board,  and there's more to the deck,  it will look better.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Mobbsie!   I was looking at mosses and stuff the other day.....it didn't fit the picture though.   I also notice a small gap in the window frame,  that I have tio fix.  I have a friend of mine,  that is an absolute weathering genius.....he has done many U-boats and subs.  some of the builds I have seen just boggle my mind. thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As usual, nice detailing.

Is the weathering done in water-based paint, if so you may be able to soften it with a Q-Tip to give it a more randomized smudgy look. I agree though that once the Lobster pots are piled aboard that will help with the over all effect.

BTW the way, is that the AmericA in the background, WOW she's small next to the Lobster Twin.

Thanks for the idea of looking at the mini-scale train stuff for pieces and parts, the window trim and that galvanized sheeting really make a difference, as will a bit of seaweed in the pots. Did you rememeber the scuff marks in the floor decking from standing in front of the table and sorting? :)

With all this detailing your gonna need to build a jet ski for the pleasure twin to prevent her jealousy (I assume your boats talk to you, as mine do).

...you dont have to be mad to build wooden ships, but it sure does help....

Hello Popeye!
After reading your log ... the accuracy of your work made ​​me a strong desire to eat fresh lobsters!! When are you going to fishing? ;)

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)