WAPPEN VON HAMBURG BY SEAHAWK1 - COREL - 1/50 SCALE

Today is a good day.  The replacement carriages from Corel arrived!  Three different sizes, including all precut wheels and axle rods.  They will require a bit of work, but much less than building my own.  Now I can at least confirm the gunport openings are correct before I glue on the port frames.

I have decided not to do any painting, just use various tones of wood throughout.  I ordered some basswood for the decks, but that order has been lost to this point, so don't know when that will get here. I should make some progress by this weekend.  

Michael

post-9494-0-44282700-1392771328_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-77078700-1392771348_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-85188000-1392771366_thumb.jpg

We're surrounded,  that means we can attack in any direction.

CURRENT BUILD

COREL  WAPPEN VON HAMBURG  1/50

ON THE SHELF

OCCRE  NUESTRA SENORA del PILAR  1/46

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a fellow Wappen builder on line........I hope to include my log soon  (mine was lost in the great crash) as I'm installing masts and yards at the moment. The kit is superb and  I have many progress images to help out if need be.

Enjoy the journey!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Jp,

I could certainly use some photographic help with this!  i just finished installing the gunport frames on the 01 deck and preparing to install all the bow filler blocks.  After that, it seems to make more sense to plank the lower hull to completion so I don't have to turn it over and over when installing all the guns and upper decks.  In the process of revamping the wokspace a bit, then will have more to post.

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

• 3 weeks later...

Been some time since I posted, and really, not much progress made.  Received a wood order to replace some bad wood, so ready to try it again :)   As it has been a while since I planked a deck, I made a piece to fit in the lower rope locker (which will more than likely not be seen) and planked /treenailed.  Then I tried some 'new' Minwax stain called "Weathered Oak".  When applied, it goes on VERY silver/grey, but I do like the end result.........Hope the rest of the 3 decks come out as well.  I am also going to use Aniline dye for the colors, so the bulwarks / gunports will be red, just not paint. ;)  I have used dyes like this before, as I have built the occasional violin and this is what I use to color them.  I use alcohol based dyes as they will accept any finish.  

Michael

post-9494-0-99123500-1395109412_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-70312000-1395109433_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-48492300-1395109455_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-25484000-1395109473_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Hello Micheal,your progress is looking  good,quaility workmanship, as would a violin need,nice job on the weathered oak look.If you do not mind,have you any more info on "aniline dye",made of,types,colors,were to get etc.Edwin.

Edwin,  This is where I get my dye from.  As it comes in powder form, I do not see any problems as far as HAZMAT getting it to BC.  You can purchase individual colors, as listed, but the full set is a bit cheaper and it lasts a very long time.  i prefer the alcohol based over water based as it is  non grain raising.  Any questions, please ask.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/dyes/aniline-dyes-alcohol-soluble

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Michael,

Just curious... some folks use leather dye.  What's the advantage with aniline dyes?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The only difference I am aware of is most leather dyes are water based, which will raise the grain of wood, though that may be dependant on the type of wood being used.  Alcohol based wil not raise the grain and you can glue to the dyed surface, if needed.  There are some dyes that are tung oil based as well.

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Thanks for the answer.  I was thinking of trying a black leather dye as I understand they can be used with alcohol but I'll need to look into it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...