WAPPEN VON HAMBURG BY SEAHAWK1 - COREL - 1/50 SCALE

I bought this kit many, many years ago as I was always drawn to it, knew my skills at that time were not up to the task.  While I built other, simpler kits, this one always drew me back.  Then, one day, I saw it advertised on Model Expo at a 'close-out' price I could not refuse.  So, a few days later, a rather large, extremely heavy box was left at my door.  Upon opening, I realized that my skill was still not up to what it should be, so in the closet it went.  Now is time to build this beautiful ship, so hope those that have built one will chime in with some hints and tips, and those that feel this is a 'someday' build will follow along.  So here we go.

All the wood is very high quality walnut and ply and appears to be more than ample supplies. Many pieces are precut which may or maynot be a good thing.  All parts are indicated, though scattered, on the seven plan sheets.  My only gripe so far, is the horrid gun carriages-I have already decided that most, if not all the carriages will have to be built.

Even after time spent in storage, the only precut frame to be un-warped was the false keel, which was steamed and clamped for several days.  At this point, nothing has been glued as I am still pre-fitting the frames and 1st deck level as this will dictate how the rest of the build will go. All the gunports and other openings are well marked on the wood and will be cut out prior to any actual assembly.  I will show the parts as I prepare them for use, rather than try to show all the parts at once.

Michael

post-9494-0-32658200-1389474390_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-85291200-1389474462_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-62578600-1389474504_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-13438100-1389475337_thumb.jpg

We're surrounded,  that means we can attack in any direction.

CURRENT BUILD

COREL  WAPPEN VON HAMBURG  1/50

ON THE SHELF

OCCRE  NUESTRA SENORA del PILAR  1/46

This build will be interesting to follow. Agree, the gun carriage is simply ugly! Are you going to replace all of them, or only the ones which will be visible? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Considering that there are 3 different gun sizes, with the majority of of the smaller ones being seen, and very few on the lower decks unseen, will probably rebuild all the carriages and rig them.  This is truly the one aspect of this rather expensive kit that I see as un acceptable.  It would, to me, seem very difficult at best to rig these guns as provided. The barrels themselves are going to be a challenge to clean up as well.

michael

post-9494-0-49038200-1389481620_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-58043500-1389481636_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Hi Michael,

I'll follow your build with great interest. The Wappen is aso on my list of future builds and like you, I'll hold off on the temptation until I believe my skills are up to task. Good luck with the build and above all, enjoy the many months it will take to complete her.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Michael,

Welcome. I have also been very interested in this ship. I hope that you got a good price, it is currently at M Ex for $1,450 USD. Yes those cannon carriages are hard to look at. Though the cannons look very good. Good luck with your new build

Michael (several here now) (:-)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael

Looking forward to following along.Always had a soft spot for this ship after I built a plastic kit of her as a boy.I think the carriages are a shame seeing as this is Corel's flagship model,I would have expected better.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Michael,

It should be very interesting and pleasant to see a ship which is my hope for my next built.

As Nigel said, the gun carriages are unbelievable for Corel's flagship. Could the annoying parts like them be replaced with corrected/adjusted ones in the kits recently produced with new technology? Has someone any idea?!

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit raises a good point.Those carriages are a disappointment to say the least.I am sure I have seen this model built with wooden carriages and I am 80% sure they were kit parts.Do you have a year of manufacture Michael?

Kind Regards Nigel

I do not have a year this kit was made, but I bought it about 10 years ago.  Most of the barrels will require some cleanup to remove some casting flash.

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Micheal, good luck on this kit. 1667,,, hmm.... cannon were probably bronze?   As for carriages, ME used to sell some carriage kits (wood) but not sure if they still do.  The Lumberyard does, but I'm not sure they would have the size you'd need as their's are all scaled for 1:48.. might work, though a bit pricey for that many guns.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Michael

I have done a little digging.It seems your cannons are available as a corel fitting but also they do a virtually identical cannon with wooden carriage.As to which they currently supply with the kit,is anybodies guess.It would work out rather expensive to replace all the carriages.Scratchbuilding would be a better option.I include a link showing the two different corel products as a matter of interest.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/corel-weaponary.html

Kind Regards Nigel

Equipped with a fresh supply of #11 blades, today will be spent cutting out all the gunports.  The majority will go fairly quickly as the parts are 2mm walnut ply.  The last 4 bulkheads will be a bit more work as they are made up of 4mm and 5mm walnut ply.  If one looks closely at the 2mm sheets, you will notice several small holes. This is due to all these parts being stapled together, courtesy of Corel at no additional charge.  I have also steamed and clamped the rear deck supports using the adjacent deck support beams for the correct curve.

Michael

post-9494-0-29645600-1389559144_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-54273000-1389559155_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-15663500-1389559171_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-30723500-1389559320_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Hi Michael,

Are the gun ports laser cut, stamped or simply outlined for reference?

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry,

The cut-outs are inked only, so I clamped down the parts with a straightedge to scribe, and also used some aluminum angle that I have trued for the vertical cuts.  I also tried a tool I forgot that I had, (purchased with this build in mind) from Micro-Mark.  A 90 degree cutting stamp that is designed for either mounting in a press, or smacking (tapping lightly?) with a hammer.  This tool isn't too bad, but I found it much easier and cleaner if the cuts are pre-scribed with a blade first.  I think I like the cut with a #11 blade better though.

post-9494-0-08885900-1389575751_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-67270700-1389575765_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

I was only able to get one full deck of gunports cut out today, but that is enough to enable me to prefit the port frames and gunport covers.  The frames are precut walnut, slotted to build a 'square' that glues to the outside of the bulkhead which is then planked over on the outer side.  The covers all all precut as well and actually fit over the openings.  Some additional material will have to be added to secure the planking around the openings. The hinges themselves are photo-etched on copper sheet, no hinges-though this may change or at least 'appear' they are hinged.

Michael

post-9494-0-17764500-1389587485_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-97328500-1389587499_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-73754200-1389587515_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-29847600-1389587530_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Michael, a warm Welcome onboard MSW 2,

Looking forward of your progress of "Wappen"

This kit today of yours is listed at USD 1450.00 through ageofsail, that with updated laser cut parts.

Scale of this ship is 1:40. She has a lenght of 43.00" and a height of 36.0 This is a Double plank on bulkhead kit, all woods are laser cut for accuracy. Incredible set of Fittings in gilded metal, copper, brass, and hardwoods replicate every detail of the original, She comes with 58 cannons as the original.With this model you can see the lower deck when you lift the upper deck gratings. Comes with Plans and instructions, sail material,banners, and wood display cradle complete the kit.

Seahawk fan? Just wondering because of your "name"

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

A quick update.  I sent an email to Corel outlining the gun carriage issue, and received this reply:

Dear Sir,
we are really very soprry for the problem. Please let us have your complete address and we'll send you all the gun carriages!

Waiting for your answer,
regards

This is customer service and I applaud Corel for standing behind thie, even though, as I told them, I bought this kit many years ago!

And yes, I am a devout SEAHAWK FAN.........GO HAWKS!

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Just an FYI,  Corel responded as noted in previous post, and messaged me today that all new WOOD gun carriages are on the way to me.  Corel indicated that it has been 'several' years since these kits had cast carriages and that anything I needed to build this kit is only an email away through them.

Still cutting out gunports as of today :) Only 30 or so to go.

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Hello Michael,I received this model as a gift from the Admiral a little over a year ago,have a few large models to do  but time is very limited at the moment,looking in on your log prompted me to check the guns and carriages ,Nigel was correct,wood carriages and all parts were in one plastic bag The quality of the kit is first class ,Will follow your log with interest,and learn.nice to meet you .Edwin.

Edwin,  Thanks for the comments.  Also noted we are in somewhat the same part of the world.  I live in Southern Oregon, but also have a small place just outside Birch Bay Washington-summer cabin.  Curious to see how long it takes parts from Italy to arrive to the US West coast.

I did determine a way to use this corner punch that works well on this printed walnut ply.  The ply is 2mm thick, but the walnut is very hard on #11 blades.

I use the punch, aligned with the straightedge and just tap through the walnut outer, very fast and clean.  Then just a couple of passes with the #11 blade, and the ports are cut, nice and square and will be finish sanded/shaped after the gunport frames are attached.

post-9494-0-81939500-1389747778_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-10987700-1389747791_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-63382900-1389747803_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Now I can see just how much of the lower is not going to be very viewable.  Will more than likely limit detail on the rear lower 8 guns, but will still plank all the decks.  There is however, the option of adding another companionway or hatch to expose that unseen portion of the ship.   Decisions, decisions..........lol.

post-9494-0-03289100-1389756401_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-53264500-1389756412_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

It looks to be your choice on the companionway and hatches.  Some paint that deck area black and then put on the furniture. Others go ahead and cut it out. 

BTW,  I see you quoted Chesty Puller.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Howdy Seahawk :bird-vi:

I will follow your log with full interest as the Wappen von Hamburg is on my wishlist for the future (same are Fregatte Berlin and Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde).

Good luck with your Wappen !

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Michael,

I built the Wappen (at least the complete hull) back in 2001.  The kit I purchased had the metal carriages - so i scratched them.  The one tip i can give you is make sure to check the elevation of the gun ports in the former near the bow before cutting them out (the semi circular piece - don't remember if it was wood or pre fab wood).  These are not correct on the instructions.  On the plans they are correct.  I had to make adjustments after the fact - not sure if they ever corrected this.

Good luck and have fun with your build,

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I have been looking over those bow parts on the plans as they are not real clear as to which parts go where.  I may end up closing those very forward ports, but haven't decided yet.  If you, by chance, have any photos of yours in the early build stage, especially in the bow area, they would be much appreciated.  At this point, I am still waiting on the replacement carriages from Corel to check all the gunport heights before proceeding further.

Michael

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Congrats on the victory - good luck at the Super Bowl :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congrats on the victory - good luck at the Super Bowl :)

Thanks, we are going to need it.  Been a great year so far :)

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF

Peyton tends to choke in big games, particularly in cold weather :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I finally have a day to spend some time with this build.  The lower bulwarks and lower deck glued down, and dry fitting/marking all the decks and supports.  Still waiting on the carriages from Corel and have some lighter deck wood ordered.  I will plank all the bulwarks and depending on how it looks, may leave it rather than paint it.  Doing one deck at a time will be very time consuming, however, starting on the lower deck with my thoughts of how I want it to appear will be a great help as I hope to improve as I move to the upper decks (which will actually be seen).

Michael

post-9494-0-66863400-1390771604_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-40989100-1390771619_thumb.jpg

post-9494-0-04838500-1390771633_thumb.jpg

CURRENT BUILD

ON THE SHELF