HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

minor glitch a while back.........I should check some of mine again.   I know I have a lot to do on the Goth build...dreading the heck out of that !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

in the interest of the log.......yea,  I'd do it :)  I checked my half moon.....it's OK........but the Goth,  I have to go all the way to the beginning!

glad I still have all the pictures ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I've re-posted all the early pics that disappeared into the great unknown, hope these copies stick :huh::)

Thanks for your interest

J

Hi all,
Just an update, got some work done on the masts, they are assembled but not ready to mount still need do do some detail work to them, sorry only a couple of pics...I got so wrapped up in the build I forgot the camera.  They did take a bit of tweaking to get the spacing where I wanted it.  also got the bollards shaped and mounted...pics follow
J

post-3847-0-74421800-1404203891_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-17604500-1404203892_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-59423900-1404203892_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-96866600-1404203892_thumb.jpg

Looks good J , Nice workmanship

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

J you've been so kind in looking through my logs I thought I'd have a look at your work.  I'm very glad I did your ship is very nice.  Your hard is is paying off and she's coming along beautifully.  

Thank you Pete and Danial for your kind comments, there are glitches here and there but overall I am fairly pleased with the results so far.  Thx again

J

Looking so good, J!

Steve

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

been out of the loop for a week or so.....you've more sweet work on her! looking awesome! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

THX Popeye,

I have got the wooldings applied to the fore and main but the masts are fighting back a bit...the main top has warped after being fixed to the mast cap :( never saw that one coming...figured the dowels would be fine after they were shaped...guess I should have sealed each individual piece prior to assembly?? :huh:   I'll figure something out...when I do I'll post some pics of the solution...thinking maybe kerfing the mast and bending after some ca, or cutting and pining the half's...don't know but you'll know when I do :P :P may have some new pics tomorrow...been nuts at the salt mine.

THX

J

you could also let the rigging do that for you......especially if the warpage wasn't too much. fore stay vs back stay.........the push me - pull you effect ;) I hope this doesn't put a weak point in your mast.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I hear that, I have used this technique after the feline attack on my Enterprise and it worked surprisingly well and has held up over the years so I'm thinking it should be ok...time will tell

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted any updates in a while...had the mast almost complete and really started taking a hard look at them...not happy with the crows nests.   The octagon shape just wasn't symmetrical enough and looked really bad.  I suspect it would have looked worse as the rigging began, just calling attention to it, so I've stripped off the nest and will scratch something once I've figure what I want to do.

Right on J. , Sounds like You are on your way to scratch building , It's Fun

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Well finally some progress on the new nests...as I stated in a previous entry I wasn't happy with the symmetry on my original scratch build nests, so I tore them down.  I decided to do something closer to what I'd seen in pics of the HM replica, so with that in mind I started rooting through the wood box and came up with some of the super bendy beech that the rails were made of this was split to a thinner profile, sanded and treated to some bending.  I made 4 circles, two for each mast, fore and main.  I bent some material for the stanchions and treated it to a ride through the band saw getting two for one.  Next came some layout based on the diameters of the bases, still attached to the masts, and the new tops, once complete this showed where the stanchions had to be cut for everything to align.  All the stanchions were then cut to size and ganged sanded to final size, from there it was just a matter of gluing everything up.   The nest still need finish sanded and they will get painted red and mounted to the bases...pics follow.

THX for your interest

J

post-3847-0-67315200-1406848244_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-13033600-1406848245_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-51522900-1406848245_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-89051400-1406848245_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-31407200-1406848246_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-74110500-1406848246_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-06864400-1406848247_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-42979200-1406848247_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-76700700-1406848247_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-08710200-1406848248_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-21429700-1406848292_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-62917200-1406848292_thumb.jpg

Now there's some intricate work for you. Nice job, J. Did you have to heat the beech wood?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Nice work J, I like the way you made the loops , did you have to soak the wood first ?

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks Steve and Pete for your kind comments, No heat was applied the beech was soaked in water, I'm still amazed at how easy that materiel is to bend, this build is my first experience at bending wood at this scale and with using beech, it's fast becoming one of my favorite woods :)

Had a chance to get some paint on the new nests, pic of the foremast, the nest is ot secured just set on for the photo,
J

post-3847-0-32637600-1407096519_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-63971400-1407096519_thumb.jpg

Great job, J. Look at the old and new next to each other. I like the double horizontal pieces as well as the thinner upper rail in the new nest. Much more realistic looking.

post-7293-0-22381000-1407106762.jpg

post-7293-0-01988000-1407106787.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hey Rick, thanks for you kind words...I think the secret to bending is using the right wood stock, and to be sure its clear of defects.  Have you started your Billings kit yet, Popeye has a build log here using the Billings kit as the foundation, you may find it interesting as well.  Again thanks for the kind comments and interest.

J

Hi Steve, thanks much and thanks for posting the side by side pics...I should have thought of that.  I like the new ones better as well, I hope to get them mounted this week and start moving forward with the rigging.  Thanks again for the positive feedback.

J

very nice work on the improvement J! really like the way you did them........look really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

THX Popeye...I am happier with them than the other style...though the new ones are not perfect either, spent a bit more time tweaking and fussing and tweaking and fussing  :huh:  till finally i decided enough was enough and mounted them to the masts.  no pics yet...

I'm prepping the blocks for rigging and wonder what everyone's thoughts are about color...all but a few of Corel's are a light wood and it seems the majority of builders chose to stain these a dark wood color.  I think either would look good but am wondering which is more period correct?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

THX

J

J those nests are perfect.  I'm glad SGraham posted the old and new together.  There is a huge difference.  Great work.