HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted but I have been busy prepping for the rigging...gave all the blocks a ride through a light oak stain to add a bit of color, they were then re-drilled to unclog the holes and sorted by size.  From there it was on to the yards, the directions called for a dark walnut stain which I thought would look good so the yards were stained, some of the blocks and dead eyes that are to be secured to the deck have had black wire twisted about them to simulate rope but will add more strength, I spent some time with my rope walk and made up some rigging lines.   Work on the rigging prep continues still have 5 more yards to prep before I can mount but I'll get there...slow but steady.   Thanks for looking in, pics follow

J

post-3847-0-90692500-1408478314_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-38269100-1408478315_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-69275800-1408478315_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-09398900-1408478316_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-49048800-1408478316_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-87289500-1408478316_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-32913400-1408478317_thumb.jpg

so now your rigging...........makes me feel like a wallflower...... :D nice progress in getting ready for the rigging........are your masts mounted on the ship yet? it'll make it easier, to put some of the more 'obvious' blocks on before they are cemented in place. looking good though.........good to see your going onward and upward! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks good, J. I like the stain on the yards and the trick with the black wire on the blocks.

So you make your own rope? I'm still pretty new at this and am trying to get everything figured out. Is rope making a difficult process? Is it worth it? How long will it take you to make up 5 yards? Pardon the interrogation.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hey all,

Popeye...still not really rigging just prepping to...nothing is mounted to the hull yet, except the stern flag standard, my plan is to do the top stays and rats before mounting, I'll start with the foremast do its stays and rats then the main...rinse wash repeat, hope doing it systematically like that will make it somewhat easier? I remember how much of a pita it was working around everything on my Enterprise, ended up breaking a lot of stuff during that build.

Steve...I just started the rope thing a little while ago, picked up a Model Expo ropewalk on e-bay for cheap (under $25).  I was always impressed with the ropes I'd seen on other builds so thought I'd give it a try.  It really isn't that bad and kind of fun, like most new things there is a learning curve but not much of one...I'm still working out the gauges, with mixed success, the samples in the pic are all about 18-24 inches in length.

The down side  to the walk I have is it is kind of a two handed affair, I'm modifying it with a series of weights  to try to get more length, but no progress as yet.  With this style walk 5 yards would be done a yard at a time, in probably an afternoon, depending on the gauge required...but I'm guessin' cause I've only done it a little at a time as I've needed for the build.  You should give it a try, with your skill set I think you would take to it like a duck to water...and it's cool to watch them form on the walk.  If your interested I've attached a link to another site where I did a bit of a "build log" on the walk I have.  Sorry for getting so windy with this answer  :huh:

http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7&start=10

Spent some time prepping the masts, got the blocks rigged and mounted, still not ready to step yet, want to get the top shrouds and rats done first. Pics follow
J

post-3847-0-58423000-1408996763_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-97007400-1408996763_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-26422300-1408996764_thumb.jpg

J, thanks for the reply about the rope making. There's so much to learn. Soldering first and then rope making. I feel like a learn by the numbers ship chandlery.

The masts look great. Those nests are spectacular on them. I'm definitely using your technique on the nests when I get around to building the Moon.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

hey j

you are doing a REALLY good job on the good old Half Moon - love the masts :)

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Thanks for the kind words gents, hey Steve based on what I've seen in your build log you learn at a lightning pace, so no fear!!   Thanks for the complement Max she is coming together.

THX
J

looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've officially started the rigging process. The shrouds for both the fore and main tops are served and mounted and the deadeyes trussed up. and the ratlines hitched up.  The challenge for me here was working with the little deadeyes for the upper rigging, they are very small, about 2.5 mm in diameter, so I cobbled a 'handle' from some scrap walnut and a couple pins worked pretty well.
Pics follow
J

post-3847-0-41029400-1410717826_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-77947400-1410717826_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-19533000-1410717827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-47599000-1410717827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-80909100-1410717827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-25635800-1410717828_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-71975900-1410717828_thumb.jpg

very nice progress J

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye...how's your HM coming along, any progress or are you busy with one of your other thousands of builds ;)

J

Hi J

pretty good progress on your HM. And a good idea for the shrouds to get the ratlines in line. I think I will copy the idea for my current build, the Royal Caroline

Good luck further on up the road :D

Max

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

YAWWWWN!   com'on J.......I just woke back up  :D     yea,  gotta get back to her.......cripes!  your beating me.....and doing a damn good job of it too !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

@ popeye...

life is boring without a challenge :D :D :D

m.

Thanks gents,

@ Max...its not really my idea but one I've seen in many build logs, but it does work and I found it a great aid.  Popeye, I'm fairly sure you could build circles around most of us...even in your sleep  ;):P

J

• 2 weeks later...

J, those crows nests are wonderful looking mounted on the masts. It looks to me like they were well worth the effort it took to rebuild them. I'm itching to get started on my Half Moon.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks a lot Steve, ya I think it was worth it to redo them, I am happy with the current config.  I think you'll enjoy the HM build, give us a heads up when you start, I'll pull up a ring side seat to your build log

Hello my friends,

It's been awhile since I posted, a very busy time at work, and the old HM is paying the price!  The rigging process has continued in small fits and starts.  The lower shrouds were served and mounted to the masts and the ring bolts and blocks are now mounted in place on the hull and deck.

One thing that was not included in the kit were any type of ring for the base of the mast to simulate the wedges, so I set about to make them...this proved easier said then done.  I tried multiple techniques including, turning (the little guys just broke apart), bending ( no wood I have could take the tight radius required), piecing sections together ( just looked like s***) ...I was really getting frustrated when I remembered what Doris has been able to accomplish with card stock.  If you haven't visited her build log you're in for a treat, what she does with paper is truly amazing, link follows:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/

So with that in mind I set about to use card stock,  I first cut narrow strips about 1/32 wide, then the base of each mast was wrapped with tape, sticky side out, and the strips wrapped around them.  The tape holds the rings in place while they are trimmed to size. at that point a dab of CA to hold the newly formed ring together, once the glue sets just slide off the mast, remove the tape and apply paint, in this case a primer coat followed by a brown wash. Sorry I've no in progress pics :( got so engaged I totally forgot to take them

The masts have been mounted, the foremast was given more forward tilt then what shows in the pic...its was adjusted after the photo was taken.

As always thanks for your time and attention,

Pics follow

J

post-3847-0-69666800-1412929256_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-10849600-1412929257_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-44670500-1412929257_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-73370700-1412929257_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-09626300-1412929258_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-43751900-1412929258_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-73137800-1412929258_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-06270500-1412929259_thumb.jpg

looking super J!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, J, it's looking great. I really like the looks of those card rings at the base of the masts. Nice touch.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks guys,

A bit of a set back with the shroud lines...I had started to mount the deadeyes but forgot to allow for the stretch in the lines,  they ended up being to long and since the deadeyes were super glued on,  well they were stripped off and new ones made in the process on mounting now.

J

set backs aren't cool.......but they gotta be dealt with ;)   do it with a smile!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone...been quite a while since I've posted an update...work has been keeping me too busy for words.   

Managed to make a bit of progress, the shrouds are finally mounted and the deadeyes rigged, not without a minor setback...the first fixture i made to mount the deadeyes was a failure it allowed way to much slack in the shrouds so when the dead-eye lashings were pulled tight there was no distance between them.  So I stripped them all off and started again, this time returning to my old standby fixture material...corrugated cardboard :D

First I waxed down the new shroud lines to eliminate any spring back, then laid out the spacing on the the cardboard, all the deadeyes were mounted on the cardboard with stripped floral wire,  then the shrouds were pulled down and ca glued to the deadeyes.  Finally rigged out the lashings...and that's were she sits.  Hope to get more down in the upcoming weeks.  Pics follow, thanks for your time and attention,  sorry for the focus...sharper next time
J

post-3847-0-62911000-1417953763_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-00768600-1417953764_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-34950600-1417953764_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-66371800-1417953764_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-94758100-1417953764_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-27332700-1417953765_thumb.jpg

J, i like that cardboard method for the deadeyes. I will be remembering that one. The shrouds look great.

glad to see your back at the table J.........I think it's a neat method too.....I'll be doing this same thing,  one of these days  :D   she's looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: