HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

Hello J,  

My name is Jerry and I just had the pleasure of reviewing your log.  I think you are doing a greatl job on Half Moon and although I use a different method, I love the way you attach your deadeyes.   I just completed the HMS Victory and am planning to build the Corel Half Moon also.  Please, if you get a chance, check my log, Link below.

http://modelshipworl...+victory +jerry

I was very lucky Sunday and was the winning bidder on Ebay for a Corel Half Moon kit.  I was able to get it at a less than half the regular price..  I'm thinking that I may finish the hull bottom in walnut as i I have about 25 -  one meter long 1mm x 5mm walnut strips left over from the Victory build.   I sincerely apprerciate your hard work and hope to use your log as a reference as I build the HM.

Hope you are enjoying a great day,

Best,

Jerry

Thx much guys, I appreciate all you kind comments...

THX Tom...I think cardboard is becoming one of my favorite fixture materials, has saved me on a few occasions on this build :D

Hey Popeye i am back but I afraid I'll get pulled away again till after the holidays, plus there is a new member here to enjoy...we lost our lil Jack Russell this past summer, though she had a good 18yr run, so it was time to find a new one...Tansy joined us just today

Hi Jerry I'll for sure checkout your Victory build, thanks for your interest in this project of mine...nice score on your HM...she has her challenges, hopefully you can avoid some of the land mine I ran into

post-3847-0-07246600-1418245502_thumb.jpg

Wow, J. The Moon is looking wonderful. I'm saving these latest pics in my need-to-know file. I really enjoy seeing how you're solving technical challenges. This little ship is really coming together.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thx much for your kind words Steve...I'm hoping to get more time for the rigging this week end

Hello all,
I was able to find some time to work one the HM, got the fore and back stays mounted and put the finishing touches on the standing rigging.

I'm leaving the ratlines till all other rigging work is done to minimize how much is in the way, seems to be working so far.

Hope to start on the running rigging this week end.
  Thx for your time and attention, Pics follow
J

post-3847-0-69656900-1418851826_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-12576000-1418851827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-49073600-1418851827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-81533600-1418851827_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-11456100-1418851828_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-38381600-1418851828_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-61706700-1418851828_thumb.jpg

Looking great, J. I really like the closeups of the rigging. Thanks for posting.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Excellent build J. I'm new to this site and am currently working on Modelshipways hms bounty launch, and have the Coral Half Moon in transit. I'll definitely reference to your build when I start mine. Great job, Matt.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

nice work on the rigging J.........really looking super!  Happy Holidays to you my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello everyone and happy holidays,
  Off for the holiday so I was able to find more bench time...so the running rig is started, all the yards are mounted and their respective control lines run... had a little trouble getting all the lines tensioned correctly...in fact there are a couple that I redid multiple times and ultimately gave up on.  Any tips on this from anyone??
  Still more lines to run, but the end is in site!  Thx for your time and attention,  Pics follow.
J

post-3847-0-07830600-1419588205_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-45523000-1419588205_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-76896600-1419588205_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-04724600-1419588206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-33721000-1419588206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-60780400-1419588206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-88307500-1419588206_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-24536300-1419588207_thumb.jpg

Good morning, J.

Your Half Moon looks excellent.  I particularly like the contrast between the white hull bottom and the stained upper hull.  Getting proper tension in the stays and running rigging is a delicate procedure because I'm sure you found tightening one line might cause another to slacken.  I don't know about the Half Moon because I'm many months away from rigging but with the Victory, it was a case of trial an error.  As I tightened one stay or running rigging line I carefully watched the previously rigged lines until I noticed any sign of slackening.  There were a couple of times when I had to stop and go back to a previously installed line and retighten it.  I don't know any other way but as I have mentioned above, trial and error. I see you have chosen not to do the rat lines yet.  I think that there's a possibility that the tension in some of the stays may change when the rat lines are tied.  This may be something to watch for.  J, I  hope you don't mind my thoughts.  All in all, I would be very happy if my Half Moon turns out as nice as yours and I certainly appreciate the information and pictures you are providing.  I hope you have a fantastic New Year.  Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

NP all comments/thoughts/ideas/concerns/ moans and groans are welcome here... lol... it is defiantly a balance, the ones giving me issue are the lines connected to the fore stays...cant get them to tighten without distorting the stays.  My best wishes to you in the new year

THX

J

Hi Brian, Thanks for your kind words, I'm flattered that you and others find my work worthy of reference, fell free to use all you find here, I hope you can avoid any pitfalls.  Running rigging has continued adding in the lifts, I'm running them but leaving them loose so I've added clips with hteir destination numbers applied, once a who;e mast worth are run I'll go back and secure.  Pics follow

J

post-3847-0-71582700-1419677429_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-15670700-1419677430_thumb.jpg

you have been busy J.........really super!   in postings throughout the site,  I've made reference to what I've learned about rigging.  there are threads that are pre stretched and those that have some residual left in it.  what I've found is that there is a point where the line is taught,  but has little to no pull....that's I refer to as absolute zero.  taking a piece of thread in your fingers...pull it tight.  by slowly relaxing it,  you can see when the thread begins to slacken.  pulling it tight again,  and slowly relaxing it,  you'll get a better idea with how much tension to put on it when your rigging.

rigging looks great......what your doing is working out for you quite well ;)  very nice!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye that is a helpful tip and will come in handy...thanks much, been managing to get in a couple hours a day at the bench, may be beginning the new year with a new build!   Managed to pick up a couple smaller kits from Model Expo during the holiday sales...Picket boat #1 and Chuck's cutter.leaning towards the Picket boat as there is no rigging and the stem engine looks really cool.

THX

J

The new kits sound great, J. What exactly is Chuck's Cutter?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hey Steve,

It's a 18 century English longboat designed for Model Expo by Chuck Passaro, sweet little kit.

J

OK my friends, yet another update.

The flag set was set by brushing on diluted white glue and draping over various round objects, when dry the halyard lines were added, they still need to be mounted to the mast heads, that will probably be the final process.

The ratlines have been completed on the stbd side along with the fetlocks mounted and ratted, not without set backs I had initially with a heaver gauge line...looked crappy so I striped them down and redid them, I think the look much better.  The stbd anchor has been mounted and alot of coils made and added to the belaying pins( no pics of these yet...you'll have to wait for the grand finale)  Now to repeat all on the port side.

Pics Follow, as always thanks for your interest.

THX
J

post-3847-0-50049500-1420375490_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-94284400-1420375490_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-33664600-1420375491_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-69777400-1420375491_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-96549600-1420375491_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-39515900-1420375492_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-64920100-1420375492_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-06645800-1420375493_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-39547300-1420375493_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-65536200-1420375493_thumb.jpg

Good morning, J..

The rat lines look excellent as you have seemed to master the clove hitches.  Good job.  And what a nice idea to set the flags and pennants.  I'll have to remember that.  (If I ever get there.)  Your log has been very helpful so far and I llok fforward to its reference as time goes on.  Take care,

Jerry

J, the gauge for the ratlines is a great idea. That's going into my need-to-know file. The ratlines and rigging are really making the Moon come alive. I'm looking forward to seeing the flags hoisted.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad your finding the build log helpful Jerry, feel free to ping me if there is anything I can help with.   I am as well Steve as it will be the end of this build...kind of mixed emotions there, but I've stockpiles some kits and have a great set of plans for a little Sloop o' War...that one will be a total scratch build, though I am going to buy somethings, deadeyes and blocks and the like.

THX
J

rigging looks super J..........your almost ready for the gallery!   she'll make for good reference,  when I pick back up on mine  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

THX Pop...yep she is almost done...port side rats, flags and finish photos are all that remain...kind of sad in a way,  I'm looking forward to the start of a new build, but at the rate I'm going that could take another month...lol...work is getting in the way, yet again

THX

J

with every build......you will always feel that way  ;)   my first build was especially hard........I was collaborating with Tom @ Billing USA at the time.   first build.......old kit......right up my alley!   I was sending him build logs......he wanted to put a condensed version on his website.

the very day that I finished it......I sat back,  and felt so empty.......it was  the end of the road!   it's probably the reason why I now have so many builds in the works..........with every one finished now.......I just feel satisfied!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Sam,

Thanks much...yes I made most of it...all of  standing rigging, anchor hawsers, and alot of the running stuff, the ratline material came from Jo Ann fabrics, what I had made was too large.  The admiral found it for me and got is at half price!  I had to dye it with hot coffee to get the right shade.

Thanks again for your compliments,THX
J