HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Ahh the old Glutonus Punishmentus... Hmmm Seems Legit  .. Nice to know it is a recognised condition Bud.. ^_^  ^_^

All The Best Nigel

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hmmm Seems Legit  ..

Eamonn,

That's actually derived from 'Sems Legit' – another well-known Roman expression, or in this case order, and meaning for a legion to march at double time. :D

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

That's Brilliant Kester.. Well I'm Legging-it as we speak, tis almost dinner prep time.. ^_^

Have a Great Day Folks

See Ye All After The Long Weekend.

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Bindy, I was all set to go Margining when a friend paid me a visit.. 5 hours later it was too late to go Margining.. :huh:

Next day something similar.. 'tis a conspiracy I tells ya'.. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: and now it's the Easter Long Weekend so Zero building days (I work this Saturday and have visitors tomorrow.. Yup deffo a conspiracy! ^_^

Have a Great Weekend Bindy and all Ballahoo Visitors.

Eamonn

Muah ha ha ha!

I arranged for all those visitors to spend time with you so I could catch you up..... and now you've seen through my plan.....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Dang.. I was foiled by the evil genius of Jim... ^_^

You aren't by any chance sitting in a black swivel chair stroking a white cat .. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: whilst plotting world domination from a hollowed out volcano ? :P

Jim your Ballier looks the Biz by the way.

All the Best

Eamonn

..or at least Model Ship World domination.. ^_^  ^_^

I had a lazy day today.. no model work !

I have my shift pattern drawn up on a 'deck' paper template I made up to get a feel for things, but first I might need to re address the Margins as I spotted a gap I don't like and I might not have enough overlap for the scarf joins.. tomorrow should tell !

All The best

Eamonn

All Righty Then.. Big News Update.. Brace Yourselves !!!!

Margin Planking is Done  (well just about)

All that is left is to fair them a little add the Caulking and sand to a nice finish.. after that go lie down for a week or so till the nerves recover :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Broke the point off of 3 #11 Xacto Blades doing them ! they aren't perfect, but are about at the level of my current ability I think (I could spend another day doing them and not improve them significantly if you follow me! ^_^ ) there is Spirketting to go in place too so don't be too concerned about the Margin Planks not quiet being snug to the Bulwarks ^_^ so I had to allow for it in doing the scarf joints !

Photo Time.. WooHoo !

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

PS the dark lines at the scarf joins are just 'construction' pencil marks,, and are not the Caulking Lines ! :P

post-5925-0-69586100-1398345779_thumb.jpg

Edited by egkb

Eamonn,

Good job. Now, there's no help for it... its on to the er... you know what – after you've lain down for the week of course. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks Guys, I've just given them a basic cleaning with an eraser (a rubber, to us folks on this side of the world) then gentle sanding and I'll up their 'Eamonn's Satisfaction Level' rating from about an 88% to about 93% ^_^  in other words they are a little better than I though originally.. it must be down to ye folks pushing me onwards :D ! still by no means perfect looking, but I'd have been well happy with the original score ^_^  so am well chuffed over here.

Will finalise them tomorrow and glue them in place, followed soon after by the pre painted Spirketting and then sometime next year the deck planking & 'Happy Happy Joy Joy'  the nibbling :P

Thanks for looking in folks and for the Likes always appreciated !

Eamonn

Looking really great Eamonn.  Time to go enjoy your drink of choice in celebration before on to the next step of the build :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike, onto the next challenge now.. who ever said Margining was awkward ? :huh:  :huh:  :huh: :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :P  

I think the nerves have settled enough now to let me continue :rolleyes:

Sail 'er Easy

Eamonn

Looking good Buddy B) If you haven't already,it is handy just to check symmetry to the centreline form the inside of the margin planks.As you a joggling the main planking into the margin any error can stand out in the pattern.It is easier to check now than to try and fiddle later ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Will Do Nigel.. BTW don't go by the centre line as scribed on the photos, as I mentioned previously the various 'holes' seem to be a tad to one side so I will have to re do the centre line (the difference is only about 1 mm, but I'd rather it wasn't there at all)  the various Margins are pretty much symmetrical to each other, but as you say I will have to look at them from a joggling point of view tomorrow and adjust accordingly, it isn't something I want to rush.. planking won't be happening till next week anyhoo ^_^

Nigel (and everyone else for that matter :rolleyes: ) do ye foresee any 'problems' with my gluing the margins down in the next day or so? for instance is there anything else I should be doing first , excluding things already mentioned above .. Spirketting, Margins & Joggling are not part of the Ballahoo Plans you see !  (if all is symmetrical, then sanded properly & caulked I think I'm ok to glue in place)

All The Best

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn as long as it is symmetrical to whichever line you set the king plank to that is all that matters,I can't think of anything else buddy apart from that.For me glue away providing everything is ok and symmetrical.I know I keep diving in with these suggestions,but when you have built a few it becomes instinctive to check certain things whilst you work :) I know of the thread regarding measurements and not everything has to be perfect or close,but there is one or two things that if they aren't done accurately will stand out a mile ;) Trying to get you plank nibs identical on either side can be an uphill battle anyway if the planking material width varies,but if the margin isn't equal both sides it can become next to impossible.Don't let me scare you away from doing it :D It is straightforward providing you just keep measuring as you go.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Never worry about offering suggestions/tips Nigel, I wouldn't have it any other way over here !! would prefer to be able to go at something with all the right information from the beginning.. and most of that comes from ye folks ^_^

Plank width differences is the main issue (I found that out during planking the lower hull, it's painted so no biggy ! .. but there were a couple of mm difference by the time I got half way down, that's half a plank out  from the other side :huh:  I corrected it but it would really have

annoyed me if she was left 'natural'.. even though it would only have been apparent from the 'bow on' view !!

But I'll match up my planking widths in advance and try put matching strakes down on both sides, might be able to make any slight width differences work for me if the nibbling goes slightly astray by using a strake of wider or narrower planking, if you follow ! :huh:

I won't be gluing them until I'm happy anyhoo..

If Scarfing/Margining didn't scare me off.. nibbling won't.. ^_^  :P  Oh No, it's those famous last words again !! next time you see Ballahoo she will have the Deck Planking equivalent of Crazy Paving :rolleyes:

All The Best Bud

Eamonn

Keep the Tips & Suggestions coming ok :)

The only other thing that would come in very handy if you don't have some already is some digital verniers.They do come in helpful when you are trying to avoid accumulative errors.Very handy for sorting your batching of planks.Mine are a comparatively recent addition to the toolbox and I kick myself for not investing in some earlier.They are fairly cheap at about 20 quid,just get plenty of batteries,I am forever leaving mine on :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

I actually inherited a Digital Calipers Bud, along with some decent tools from my Uncle a few years back, he was a Marine Engineer who was also an extremely talented 'DIY'er' (together with being a Liverpudlian ! ^_^ ) so some very nice bits of kit came my way.. now if I could just figure out how the Hammer thing works !

It was the Digital Calipers that put me onto the differences in planking widths , a brilliant piece of kit for sure !

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Sorry about the lack of recent updates folks.. been a bit busy around the house in the decent weather  :(  ;)  ok ok you got me.. I've just been lazy too :D  :D

Oh and I'm contemplating upgrading my already upgraded deck timber (if that makes any sense ^_^ , there seems to be quiet a bit of inconsistency in thickness between the timber, I have been grouping similar thickness' together but am dubious over going ahead as it could be a sanding nightmare ! as I mentioned before there were substantial thickness differences even with the upgraded timber whilst planking the hull, but sanding that was easy-peasy , the deck on the other hand is very confined as ye all know!!!)

Decisions Decisions.. :huh:

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

now if I could just figure out how the Hammer thing works !

It was the Digital Calipers that put me onto the differences in planking widths , a brilliant piece of kit for sure !

Hammer implementation:

I. Target discrimination:

Group A: Thumb (not recommended)

Group B: Not Thumb (recommended)

Everything else is merely refinement of this basic principle.

Digital calipers really are fantastic, very useful as a marking gauge with the lock, depth gauge, use with a square or bench block for height gauge, just don't confuse with hammer...

On a serious note, The Ballahoo is looking REALLY good.

Jeez Bob those Hammer things sound really complicated.. too many moving parts for my liking , think I'll just continue using the Camera Lens..   :huh:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Sorry Lawrence for the lack of proper updates but I'm in a bit of a Timber quandary again (hopefully will be resolves soon though)

Thanks for dropping by folks..

Eamonn

Eamon, 

Another timber quandary......  you must have mystery visitors at night stealing it........

As for digital calipers - the best thing since sliced bread, a good bottle of wine / glass of beer and a few other things.  Originally my mast hoops were 1.8mm thick, then reduced them to 1.5mm.  That's 0.3mm / hoop or a total of 3mm.  Just before I added the mast, I reduced them to 1.2mm.  Now, 0.6mm doesn't sound like much, but with 10 mast hoops, the stack height of all the hoops was reduced from 18mm down to 12mm! 

Hammer, camera lens, don't forget the stapler and a hard soled shoes. 

I'm watching your planking - because I might add this detail to my next build! 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination