HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Latest Copy of Clamps Pegs & Pins available.. The new cover photo is shown below !! ^_^

All Righty Then I got the Spirketting done and all that is needed now is to shape it at the Aft Gun Ports Port & Stbd as it sits a little proud and to open out the Hawse Pipes (Anchor Holes)  I knocked up a couple for the transom also (not sure if these are right or not but they seem to work)

Next up is painting inside the gun ports and giving the bulwarks a final coat also..

Stay Well Folks.

Eamonn

post-5925-0-48729600-1401207571_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-83604300-1401207573_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-50146800-1401207575_thumb.jpg

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Spirketting - My new word for today!   I like it!  Not the word, the spridetting on your deck!  

Are these the same color?  Or is it just the way the light is hitting it?  

I did some 'go fast' stripes on my Bluenose - They're a bit over stated / too bold.

post-206-0-52567000-1401231334_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks for stopping by Joe & Holty (not sure how much you'd get from me as your Lady N is wonderful, I'm pretty much making it up as I go.. ^_^ )

The Go Fasters are Beech Dee_Dee and the rest Maple,  Bluenose looks snazzy with them, especially with the King Plank too ! the contrasts you achieve are really rather beautiful .

All The Best Folks..

Stay Well

Eamonn

Oh and thanks to Nigel for his excellent use of the  Go Faster Stripes phrase !! :P

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks mate :) Your spirketting looks great and finishes everything off wonderfully B)  B) I wonder if go faster stripes are going to make it in to the book of nautical teminology? :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nice job on the deck planking Eamonn, I think it looks excellent, and those things that catch your eye that you may think you could have done better will take on far less significance once all the deck fittings and the rest are in place. Those two planks that Jason referred to as king planks are binding strakes, slightly thicker than normal planking and are let into the deck beams so they still are flush. Their purpose is to aid the rigidity of the structure.

Cheers,

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

Thanks Nigel & and for the info B.E.   it is no small relief to have gotten this far relatively unscathed ^_^  just a little Nervous Twitch here or there !!.. :P  

Nigel 'Go Fasters' would be below 'Furry Dice in the Wheel House' and above 'Noise Maker on the Exhaust Pipes in the Funnel'  or 'Pimped Out Stereo in the Radio Room' in the Book of Nautical Terminology.. am sure I saw them there some time ago.. :huh:  :rolleyes:

Thanks for popping by guys

Stay Well

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Just catching up with your log again, and see you've made a very good job of your deck. Well done. BE is right of course, as those things that shout at you as being not quite right now, will blend into semi-obscurity once all the deck fittings, etc., are in place. ;)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hey There Kester.. Long time no hear ^_^

Yea, those pesky wee 'glitch's' hopefully will vanish amidst the deck/bulwark furniture & fittings (that specific one to which I alluded will surely get caught up in the Fore Belaying pin ropes etc.. he says hopefully :rolleyes: )

Good to hear from you again !

Thanks too to all the 'Like Buttoners' always much appreciated !

Stay Well

Eamonn

By The Way.. I've just cut out the 4 Full Height Gun Ports and opened out the Anchor Holes !

Cap Rails have been sanded and await painting !

All go on Ballahoo.. will need a little lie down at this rate :P

Stay Well

Eamonn

Hi Bob.. Photos tomorrow, Promise !!  am off to Maleficent now (that's the new Angelina Jolie flik) ^_^

Thanks for popping by..

Stay Well

Eamonn

Okey Dokey.. Photos as promised ('cos I'm nice like that you see ^_^  ^_^ )

Cap Rails in place (bit of a faf there as they didn't fit so I had to lengthen them slightly.. about 5mm .. Oh and did I mention the weird asymmetry! well it reared it's head again, so a bit of cap rail nudging was required to make it conform to the bulwark shape !! am beginning to think it was there from the very beginning. Oh Well, 'tisn't so bad really :rolleyes: )

Painted all the new stuff and inside the gun ports (needs to have a 2nd coat at least, and I may end up cracking open some of my mighty filler stock to smoothen them off.

That's us up to date folks, thanks for looking in on Little 'ol Ballahoo.

Stay Well

Eamonn

post-5925-0-41026800-1401355604_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-31432100-1401355606_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-79670700-1401355607_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-72104000-1401355609_thumb.jpg

Very nice, you must be at that stage of feeling extremely proud!!! Looks sweet, love the colours.. Top stuff, spoiling us and a man who keeps to his word.. Tops stuff buddy...

Thats all come together beautifully Eamonn, lovely colours and very precisely done.  The contrast between deck and the hull sides is wonderfull, good choice!  Capping rails seem to be a consistent source of frustration in these kits no matter how much planning ahead is done, but you'd never know it.  Well done.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Ditto!  The Balahoo is looking swell!

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Hi Gang, I have another wee update to Ballier !

The Timber Heads are in place and painted (photo below)

Thanks B.E. , Ollie , Jason , Bob & Dee_Dee for the kind words and all the Likes too !

Yea I have a pretty wide smile on the ol' face over here in Ireland, as much relief as anything to have gotten past the major construction phase relatively unscathed.. it is sooo true what I have read here on MSW that problems on wooden boat builds can be fixed fairly easily! thankfully :P

Still a bit of Clean-Up work required on the paintwork, but not too much.. the Rudder will be set free from it's wooden surround shortly and installed.. but that will be a few days away yet as work gets in the way again.

Question Time.. Tree Nailing ! it is almost time to give the Deck & Bulwarks some freckles .. any suggestions folks (I see a lot of methods on here, but if anyone has a sure fire way of doing them I would be only too happy to try!! :P )

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

post-5925-0-58471100-1401379808_thumb.jpg

She looks fabulous mate!!!Can't believe I have missed two updates,but haven't been on here much this week :( My advice would be to save treenailing for the next build.I personally feel you are too far on to use any methods I would use.For the 'drill and fill' method,this would have been best employed before wales and trim on the hull and to tackle the deck will result in spoiling your paintwork.You could try pencil,but this always just looks like what it is.Don't want to sound a party pooper,but similarly don't want to advise you to do something that runs the risk of spoiling your great work due to access problems.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.. I wasn't sure at what stage to do the Tree Nailing (was only going to do the 'Natural' timber parts as in the deck and the topsides) Dang, I thought I was ok :(

I shall have to give this some more thought, and perhaps as you suggest, to leave well enough alone!

Thanks Nigel

Stay Well

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Your timber heads look good, although I have to say that I was a little surprised that the fore pinrails are so far towards the bow. Are there any swivels fore or aft?

Your mention of fitting the rudder prompts me to suggest planking it – or do you have that in mind already? As you probably know, I planked my Sherbourne rudder – using three of the of the thin maple planks from the kit, and it certainly looks more authentic than one flat board. I used black paper for the hinges, as I thought metal would be overscale.

Re. the treenailing, I'm with Nigel. I think you're too far advanced to try anything drastic now, but testing various methods off the model probably wouldn't hurt, such as trying different sorts of pencil, etc., but I would actually leave it at this stage, as Nigel suggests. I didn't use treenailing on the Sherbourne, and quite honestly, I don't miss it.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks Kester, I think I'll follow both your and Nigels advice and leave the Tree Nailing out ! she looks busy enough without it anyhoo !

Re the Fore Pin Rail, yea they are indeed far forward but should be ok (the anchor when stowed with a fluke inboard clears the aft most pin)

would you believe I had to go check whether there were any Swivels !! there aren't ^_^

Hadn't actually considered planking the Rudder but now you mention it I may have a look at that idea as I have plenty of thin 'deck' lime planking as I didn't use it !! (by the way my kit came with Lime Planking even though the instructions, what there is of them, say it is Maple)  else I may score a few lines into it to suggest individual timbers.. it will be painted anyhoo.

Thanks for the thoughts Kester and for backing up Nigels suggestion re the Tree Nailing.. Tree Nailing is Out ^_^

Advice required (open to all readers): the deck is finished and the deck fittings are looming.. question, should I paint the deck now? (Clear Matt as per the bulwarks) or will that hinder the fittings actually sticking to the deck (they will have 'pins'  to help secure them in place)  I will probably be using 2 part epoxy glue on them for security, hence the wanting to protect the deck's finish !

Please keep any suggestions/advice/thoughts coming ok.. that goes for all of ye ! :P my own 'plans' didn't extend far beyond where I am right now..  will have to set up a new Game Plan now, so suggest away ok ! (I have some darn nice rope made by Alex,and will be picking up some of Chucks blocks in the next week or so, also I picked up some 'better' belaying pins )

Stay Well Folks

Eamonn

Oh and don't forget the Advice Required bit above.. :rolleyes:  

Edited by egkb

Hey buddy. i don't think you will miss the tree nailing although i wouldn't put it totally off limits.. I would only recommend a soft putty fake style nail... then sand carefully then clear coat the painted work and all!.. I use acrylic clear coat for everything.. It doesn't yellow, easy clean up and better resistance against mould and mildew here...

I can then use enamel where needed for metal etc or acrylic colours and still do my clear coat over the top...    ( you see acrylic can go over enamel but enamel wont go over acrylic) so if you use enamel clear coat it all has to be enamel..

I clear coat everything as i go.. I realise many don't but it helps me keep things clean and sealed as i go.. I sand an area for gluing or 'scratch it up'  With added pins it would be no worries... I advise it..

I also would advise if you want to putty and sand the deck to mask off inside bulwarks to prevent any knocks.. i always use that non tack, less-stick stuff. it doesn't ever pull paint off...  i also cherish my well worn in 3m sanding pads for jobs like these and you can cut them to a point or into small blocks.... Also scraping would be acceptable... I pre-seal deck etc before doing the putty then do final coats.. All just my suggestion if you really wanted to do those nails.. It is doable but the other guys are surely not wrong in saying it could have problems....   hope that makes some sense and is some use to you buddy.. Ollie

Hi Mate

My vote goes for varnishing (I assume this is what you mean)before fitting out.You may find more than one coat is require with a little rubbing down in between to achieve your desired finish.This is nigh on impossible to do with things in place and not end up with a deck that looks like the North Sea.Another factor is that unless you spray very thin coats of poly,it will form a small radius in the internal corners and everything will loose it's sharpness and definition.

I use a small burr in the Proxxon to abrade areas that fittings stick to making sure I go into clean timber.The epoxy bond is more than adequate and pinning is only required on stressed,vulnerable,items with a small gluing surface or larger items.Things like hatch combings,I find it unnecessary.I generally use Tamiya tape to 'mark' the outline of the fitting preventing any mishaps and marking the deck.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Ollie & Nigel.. I shall put a coat on the deck now ! Ollie I think I'll leave the Tree Nailing alone for this build ^_^ though I like the putty solution ( it does sound tempting ;) ) I could make a mess of the rather nice finish.. next time !!

Thanks also for the advice re gluing onto the painted deck.. this will deffo be followed ! it was kinda bugging me there for a bit.

Right Next Up Painting The Deck !

Will be out of the house shortly (am cooking a 'scratch built' Lasagne etc for a friend then hitting the Cinema for the Tom Cruise Emily Blunt latest offering)

Hope ye all had a great week-end.. it is still going on over here, what with a Bank Hollier Monday tomorrow and all !

Stay Well

Eamonn

Hi Mate

I am curious,did you raise the beef cattle,harvest the wheat and are the eggs from your own chickens?Only then could it be considered a 'true' scratchbuild lasagne by some :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sorry couldn't resist :P  :P Hope you enjoy the film.

Kind Regards

Nigel