egkb

HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Latest Gossip from ENN  (Eamonn News Network )...  Much Sanding Phase 2 is complete with rather satisfying results ( a Very Very smooth hull form) just a smidge of filler required at the stern (where the upward sweep of a plank meets the lower part of the transom) once that hardens I'm onto Mild Sanding Phase 1, there may not even be a Phase 2 here... Which will be a bit of a Result!!

I filled out a section of the Bulwarks up for'ard to allow the Bow Piece to fit in place (you may recall from a while back the problem I had encountered where the 2 Bulwarks meet at the bow, ie no or too small a gap for the Bowsprit & the Bow Piece) hopefully you can see it in the photos.

I also made up the Stand, which is straightforward and not as Gawd Awful looking as I feared (I'm toying with how I will present the boat when finished, she may end up on Blocks representing a slipway, with the angle matching the angle of the keel to keep the deck level! but that is a bit away yet ^_^ )

Thanks For Checking In Folks

Eamonn

BTW The Period Ship Handbook pt 2 arrived this morning, WOW they are going to be a brilliant resource, thanks for the recommendation Nigel & Kester, and Dee Dee for the advice on where to get them!! Abebooks are Deadly, and I'd advise all to take a looksee for those hard to find books  (by the way 'Deadly' is an Irishism for Pretty Darn Good! :P )

Photo Time....

post-5925-0-61219500-1391780161_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-98049400-1391780163_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-38401100-1391780165_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-57458600-1391780166_thumb.jpg

Hello Eamonn, I would have checked and responded to your log earlier but have spent the last few days contending with problems, including a major flood in my workshop. I share the space with a 40 gallon hot water tank.It decided to spring a leak and empty itself all over the floor an for abot 7 hours.  Fortunately  neither Sultana or Old Blue were damaged. Good work, you are moving right along. I have mounted my Sultana on a slipway. I like the look and can recommend it. I am a great fan of abe books and over the years have purchased many books through the. I am a self confessed bookaholic. Sometimes set out to a single book through abe but sniff around and buy two or more on the pretext that I am saving money on postage.

Incidentally many people do not know that abebooks.com was created by a couple of Vancouver Isanders living in Victoria.

Have fun, Kip

Hey Kip, thanks for stopping by, am sorry to hear of your flood problems, that can't be nice on top of what I'm sure are rather cold conditions outside!

I must pop over to your Sultana and take a look at your slipway (glad to hear she missed the rising water!!) Do you have a Build Log for Bluenose? I'll put Bluenose into a Search shortly and see if I can find her!

I had never heard of Abebooks until Dee_Dee mentioned it, as soon as I put some more money into the bank kitty I'll be examining their site in detail as I'm a bit of a book-aholic myself (when I find books I really like I find myself re reading them again & again over the years, a Kindle is amongst my best buys in fact)

All The Best

Eamonn

I like the shape of the hull.. , GOOD TO SEE THE PROFILE :)

I noticed glue doesn't stick as well to filler when second planking so the less the better, (sorry if i'm compromising your business) :P Can't beat that wood to wood bond :D  Ollie

Eamonn,

Agreed. Very good job on your first planking, and a good basis for the outer layer. As the pictures show, I can see the signs of one very good model here. They also remind one that the 'timber head removal time' draws ever closer! :)

Hi Eamonn

Great job on the first layer of planking she sure did come out very nicely. You must be very proud of her, You now have a very good base to add your second layer of planking and I know it will even look better than the first and that looks great, have a great day and above all   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks for all the encouragement and the 'Likes' folks, am just back from work (with a little cooking time and catching up on the Winter Olympics thrown in) and this is my first opportunity to say Thanks!

Never have a worry about offering advice Ollie, I positively encourage it! so much so that I actually picked up more sandpaper after lunch to follow your suggestion and remove some of the more 'obvious/prominent' filler to have a better bonding surface for the next lair.

Yea Kester, it is indeed getting near time to remove those pesky timber Heads/Horns, I'm sure a gentle tap with a Sledgehammer should do the trick :P

Hopefully my new timber shouldn't be too far away next week and I'll make a start on 2nd planking! (after fitting the Keel and Bow of course)

Thanks again for stopping by, have a good one!

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn

Great job on your first layer of hull planking she sure is looking great. I suppose you can hardly contain your self in the starting of the second planking.   Enjoy

Regards   Lawrence

You said this is your first proper ship build... you look like a seasoned pro. Looking excellent. 

On glue... I use Elmers Carpenter's wood glue... it sets up fairly quickly but allows proper placement of your piece without setting instantly... like cyanoacrylate. (super glue). Sometimes I use both... cyano to quick tack and the wood glue for strength, or.. a five min. epoxy where real strength is needed.

Watching your log has sparked an interest on the Ballahoo and the Sherbourne. very nice looking kits.

Your doing an incredible job.

Thanks Lawrence and J,   Patience has been forced upon me for the time being Lawrence (awaiting a timber shipment, with any luck early in the week) I ordered some of that Aliphatic Wood glue so that should be arriving at my door soon too!

J they are cracking looking little boats (you may remember I have a 'thing' for these small boat types  ^_^  ) I must pick up some Epoxy Glue too J, as strength will be required later !

I have a few photo updates, nothing too substantial over the last photo post.. except  Mild Sanding Phase 1 is complete and I won't require a Phase 2 as the Hull is now smoother than something that would be considered particularly smooth.. :P that's how smooth it is!!

Putting the Rabbet, Keel & Bow in place is next up.

Thanks again for looking in and the support.

Eamonn

BTW has anyone heard of this Glue type (made by Gorilla Glue) that foams, but the expanded foam outside the stuck joint is easy to remove, a friend mentioned to me that it is used for sticking wood, you wet one surface and apply the glue to the other, I was wondering if  anyone has tried it on model boats?

Anyhoo Photo Time.. (plenty of Profile Shots to keep Ollie happy :P )

post-5925-0-35543700-1391963976_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-95950300-1391963977_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-31899100-1391963979_thumb.jpg

I have used Gorilla glue in actual repairs of furniture and and things of that sort ( like my old boat)...never tried it on a model. it does foam up, unsure if this would cause issues on a small scale... but in full scale its works incredibly great. very strong. its bond time is much longer than regular wood glue and does require clamping.

Thanks J, the friend uses it for the same purposes as yourself (and he first saw it used by a Carpenter on a stairway!)  I think some tests may be required!! :P

I was just over at Emma and I like your plan to have her open for viewing! what's a Swordfish Spear though?

Eamonn

Swordfish bask on the surface during daylight, so vessels would drift up to a resting swordfish and stick them with a harpoon that has a tip connected to a long line...which is connected to a empty keg or small barrel that tires the fish out as it dies or is too weak to go on... then its picked up by the fishing boat. kind of like in the movie JAWs, when they stuck the shark with a harpoon gun and it towed around a bunch of barrels.

Thanks for the explanation J, I was wondering how you would harpoon such a fast creature :P

Nigel Thanks too for your explanation (in fact if you hadn't gone into detail I would only have been back in touch asking you questions as I was planning on pinning the Keel and Bow in place, I have some 1m wire ready for it!) I like your method for hardening copper wire too.

I see both yourself and J use Epoxy on builds so that confirms it.. off to the shops tomorrow :D

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Take it Easy

Eamonn

Brilliant stuff Nigel, need never apologise over here for passing along your knowledge! ;)  Do you favour any particular type?

Eamonn

Daft question Nigel, but in your method to 'Trim the Pin Flush' do you saw it or clip it, I ask 'cos I was just going to recess it into the hole and fill over the top (or in this case sand the epoxy down flush if it stood proud)

Hope you don't mind all the questions :P

E

News Flash...

Rabbet cut, but towards the top of the stem it is practically non existent due to the Bulwarks  so I epoxied (Picked up some Nigel, and wanted to try it, this looked the perfect spot as strength was required with the bond) a thin strip of 2mm by 1 mm wood down the length of the stem, once set, tomorrow :( !!, I will sand it to .5mm or so.  This should give a nice even Rabbet all the way along!

Alas no photos as the whole shebang is taped up to hold the thin strip in place..

Hopefully tomorrow will see the Bow and Keel in place & pinned.

No Timber yet, but the Yellow Aliphatic wood glue and Period Ship Kit Builders Manual showed up this morning :D

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

That's the 2nd one Nigel with 2 more on the way, I reckon I picked up the 4 for the price of 2 (from Amazon) with Abebooks! Timber coming from about 250 - 300 miles SSW of you ;)  The non UPS orders usually take about 10 days or so (which is around now)

Eamonn

Nigel can I ask who your usual supplier is, I have no problems with Cornwall but was looking for options as they don't have Boxwood and other types I was chasing (I have to order ready made strips, as I don't have electric devices for sizing)

E

Plenty to read indeedy.. whilst waiting for the Epoxy to harden too :P  :P (it's 'only' 12 to 14 hours but that puts it in the middle of the night and I'm not that enthusiastic! :mellow: )

Jeez South West of England seems to be the place to be for Model Boat Supplies.. I've even been to Truro! (and was in College in Plymouth, the College Phase's of my Cadetship)

Eamonn

All Righty Then latest photos hot from the camera:

The Bow & the Keel are epoxied in place, the extended part of the Keel at the stern matches up nicely with the Rudder Post, to be fitted later, make sure that this does match up particularly if going the route I took with putting a thin strip down the False Keel at the bow to assist with the Rabbet, else thinks may not sit flush at the stern! ;)

Take Care Folks

Eamonn

PS Still no Timber, though Parcel Delivery continues for an hour or 2 yet (it is a morning service over here) but the good news is that The Period Ship Handbook 3 arrived with the regular post this morning.. Edge of the seat updates eh ? :mellow:  :P  Here's a nice calming photo!

post-5925-0-65446000-1392117210_thumb.jpg

This is true Nigel, I have amassed a nice little library over the years (am a bit of a bookaholic which doesn't help) ^_^  

Thanks for dropping by, and to everyone who punched the 'Like' button too!!

Eamonn

Still No Timber Delivery.. :(

The Timber Saga Continues.. Still a no show, we live for tomorrow!

Nail Biting Stuff eh ?

Eamonn

I'm beginning to eye-up the tree in the back garden :P

Eamonn,

Sorry for your timber hold up. However, looking on the bright side (I'm sure there is one) you do have all those books to read – so you should be an expert by the time it arrives. :)