HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Yes you are correct Eamonn ;) ,I would elaborate further.If you fit the garboard and then work towards where you left off,it will prevent the planks from clinkering between bulkheads.To continue as you are would mean lots of 'edge bending' to follow the crescent shape of the previous planking.I know this would mean the plank ends butting up to the other planks,but I think either way you would have that situation.I hope this makes sense :huh:  :huh:

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Makes total sense Nigel, work has brought me to a slight halt for a day or two, but I hope to get back to building  either tomorrow or day after (Wed) timber shouldn't be too far away by then (I actually picked it up for the 2nd layer bulwarks, as I didn't wish to use the rather dark stuff that came with the kit for 2nd planking, lower down the hull will be fine but not for the upper Bulwarks)

Thanks for all the help and tips guys.

All The Best

Eamonn

BTW the glue is winging it's way to me from Delux as of today ! WooHoo :P

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Lawrence, I totally agree with being able to see the shape materialise.. in fact I was discussing something similar with Kester a few posts back about liking to look at the model and imagine the lines!! seems like there is another member of the ' Boat Hulls Appreciation Society'.. ;)

Vikky is looking brilliant by the way, I like the fact that you fixed the lettering even though I imagine it was awkward to do!

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

All Righty Then.. The hull is 'closed over' WooHoo!!  and as soon as the glue is dry I'll crack open one of my warehouse loads of filler :P After that comes the sanding and eventual installation of the Keel/Bow pieces (+ Rabbet of course).

I have to wait until my timber shipment arrives before beginning 2nd planking as I want to use the lighter coloured wood I ordered for the first 5 or so rows on the Bulwarks.

Thanks for looking in

Eamonn

Oh! and there is even a Photo.. I really spoil ye folks ;)

post-5925-0-17221800-1391615660_thumb.jpg

Hey there Nigel, The aliphatic hasn't shown up yet so I continued along with my usual wood glue, I won't touch it until tomorrow anyhoo as It's way too miserable in my work room (weather is brutal, was down taking photos of the crashing waves earlier) Ballahoo is sitting in the heat of my living room at present to help the glue set.

All The Best Nigel

Eamonn

BTW I'd be happy enough with 'Rubberyness' as a word (but then again my friends say that I'm worse than Joyce for using my own weird words :P )

Hi Lawrence, yup she will be 2nd planked, this won't happen until my new batch of timber arrives (next day or so hopefully) as I want to plank the Bulwark area (top-sides) in a lighter wood than the Walnut supplied as this area won't be painted.  So some filling and sanding are in my immediate future.. not as tough I feel as the 200 or so hammocks you are in the process of creating :P

Thanks for stopping by.

Eamonn

Hot off the Camera !

Copious quantities of filler (just kiddin) and Phase 1 of Much Sanding later.. and we appear to have a decent hull shape! WooHoo :P

Next Up:  Phase 2 of Much Sanding.

All The Best

Eamonn

BTW I trimmed off the 1st planking overhangs at the stern too, though it needs to be addressed further.  And incidentally all you Ballyahoo'ers out there the issue with the 2nd Bulkhead not being 'low' enough doesn't seem to be a problem (I only beefed it up a little early on, but if you examine Plan No 1, you will see that 'issue' is there too! the Garboard strake and the next plank take care of this in that they almost go vertical in this area, just like the 'Dead Drop' at the stern)

Anyhoo.. Photo Time.. ;)

post-5925-0-98106400-1391685833_thumb.jpg

Eamonn,

Very good work – and it doesn't look as though you've made even a dent in the filler stores.

Btw, I believe that 'rubberyness' has Chinese origins! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Kester, filler reserves are borderline.. I'm down to about a mere 20 year supply, so it's touch and go whether there will be enough for 3 builds.. :P  

I'd go along with the Chinese origin of Rubberyness, am sure I've chewed plenty of things from the menu that would define it! Squid in Black Bean Sauce comes to mind ;)

Phase 2 of Much Sanding has begun in the garden.. 'I'm just going outside and may be some time!'

Eamonn

Ah Smeg I forgot Rimmer! sorry Ace Rimmer!  One of the classiest shows on TV.. Would you believe I'm re reading the books as we speak! :)

Eamonn

Latest Gossip from ENN  (Eamonn News Network )...  Much Sanding Phase 2 is complete with rather satisfying results ( a Very Very smooth hull form) just a smidge of filler required at the stern (where the upward sweep of a plank meets the lower part of the transom) once that hardens I'm onto Mild Sanding Phase 1, there may not even be a Phase 2 here... Which will be a bit of a Result!!

I filled out a section of the Bulwarks up for'ard to allow the Bow Piece to fit in place (you may recall from a while back the problem I had encountered where the 2 Bulwarks meet at the bow, ie no or too small a gap for the Bowsprit & the Bow Piece) hopefully you can see it in the photos.

I also made up the Stand, which is straightforward and not as Gawd Awful looking as I feared (I'm toying with how I will present the boat when finished, she may end up on Blocks representing a slipway, with the angle matching the angle of the keel to keep the deck level! but that is a bit away yet ^_^ )

Thanks For Checking In Folks

Eamonn

BTW The Period Ship Handbook pt 2 arrived this morning, WOW they are going to be a brilliant resource, thanks for the recommendation Nigel & Kester, and Dee Dee for the advice on where to get them!! Abebooks are Deadly, and I'd advise all to take a looksee for those hard to find books  (by the way 'Deadly' is an Irishism for Pretty Darn Good! :P )

Photo Time....

post-5925-0-61219500-1391780161_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-98049400-1391780163_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-38401100-1391780165_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-57458600-1391780166_thumb.jpg

Hello Eamonn, I would have checked and responded to your log earlier but have spent the last few days contending with problems, including a major flood in my workshop. I share the space with a 40 gallon hot water tank.It decided to spring a leak and empty itself all over the floor an for abot 7 hours.  Fortunately  neither Sultana or Old Blue were damaged. Good work, you are moving right along. I have mounted my Sultana on a slipway. I like the look and can recommend it. I am a great fan of abe books and over the years have purchased many books through the. I am a self confessed bookaholic. Sometimes set out to a single book through abe but sniff around and buy two or more on the pretext that I am saving money on postage.

Incidentally many people do not know that abebooks.com was created by a couple of Vancouver Isanders living in Victoria.

Have fun, Kip

Hey Kip, thanks for stopping by, am sorry to hear of your flood problems, that can't be nice on top of what I'm sure are rather cold conditions outside!

I must pop over to your Sultana and take a look at your slipway (glad to hear she missed the rising water!!) Do you have a Build Log for Bluenose? I'll put Bluenose into a Search shortly and see if I can find her!

I had never heard of Abebooks until Dee_Dee mentioned it, as soon as I put some more money into the bank kitty I'll be examining their site in detail as I'm a bit of a book-aholic myself (when I find books I really like I find myself re reading them again & again over the years, a Kindle is amongst my best buys in fact)

All The Best

Eamonn

Smashing work Eamonn!!You have got some nice symmetry going on there B)  B) You will be on to the 'pretty' planking soon.I am glad the book meets expectations ;)

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.Forget Alien,Predator and Terminator,none are as intimidating as Lister's vindaloo curry monster :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I like the shape of the hull.. , GOOD TO SEE THE PROFILE :)

I noticed glue doesn't stick as well to filler when second planking so the less the better, (sorry if i'm compromising your business) :P Can't beat that wood to wood bond :D  Ollie

Nice smooth first planking you've got there Eamonn. A great base for the next step. Keep it up.

Eamonn,

Agreed. Very good job on your first planking, and a good basis for the outer layer. As the pictures show, I can see the signs of one very good model here. They also remind one that the 'timber head removal time' draws ever closer! :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thanks for all the encouragement and the 'Likes' folks, am just back from work (with a little cooking time and catching up on the Winter Olympics thrown in) and this is my first opportunity to say Thanks!

Never have a worry about offering advice Ollie, I positively encourage it! so much so that I actually picked up more sandpaper after lunch to follow your suggestion and remove some of the more 'obvious/prominent' filler to have a better bonding surface for the next lair.

Yea Kester, it is indeed getting near time to remove those pesky timber Heads/Horns, I'm sure a gentle tap with a Sledgehammer should do the trick :P

Hopefully my new timber shouldn't be too far away next week and I'll make a start on 2nd planking! (after fitting the Keel and Bow of course)

Thanks again for stopping by, have a good one!

Eamonn

You said this is your first proper ship build... you look like a seasoned pro. Looking excellent. 

On glue... I use Elmers Carpenter's wood glue... it sets up fairly quickly but allows proper placement of your piece without setting instantly... like cyanoacrylate. (super glue). Sometimes I use both... cyano to quick tack and the wood glue for strength, or.. a five min. epoxy where real strength is needed.

Watching your log has sparked an interest on the Ballahoo and the Sherbourne. very nice looking kits.

Your doing an incredible job.

Thanks Lawrence and J,   Patience has been forced upon me for the time being Lawrence (awaiting a timber shipment, with any luck early in the week) I ordered some of that Aliphatic Wood glue so that should be arriving at my door soon too!

J they are cracking looking little boats (you may remember I have a 'thing' for these small boat types  ^_^  ) I must pick up some Epoxy Glue too J, as strength will be required later !

I have a few photo updates, nothing too substantial over the last photo post.. except  Mild Sanding Phase 1 is complete and I won't require a Phase 2 as the Hull is now smoother than something that would be considered particularly smooth.. :P that's how smooth it is!!

Putting the Rabbet, Keel & Bow in place is next up.

Thanks again for looking in and the support.

Eamonn

BTW has anyone heard of this Glue type (made by Gorilla Glue) that foams, but the expanded foam outside the stuck joint is easy to remove, a friend mentioned to me that it is used for sticking wood, you wet one surface and apply the glue to the other, I was wondering if  anyone has tried it on model boats?

Anyhoo Photo Time.. (plenty of Profile Shots to keep Ollie happy :P )

post-5925-0-35543700-1391963976_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-95950300-1391963977_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-31899100-1391963979_thumb.jpg

I have used Gorilla glue in actual repairs of furniture and and things of that sort ( like my old boat)...never tried it on a model. it does foam up, unsure if this would cause issues on a small scale... but in full scale its works incredibly great. very strong. its bond time is much longer than regular wood glue and does require clamping.

Thanks J, the friend uses it for the same purposes as yourself (and he first saw it used by a Carpenter on a stairway!)  I think some tests may be required!! :P

I was just over at Emma and I like your plan to have her open for viewing! what's a Swordfish Spear though?

Eamonn

Swordfish bask on the surface during daylight, so vessels would drift up to a resting swordfish and stick them with a harpoon that has a tip connected to a long line...which is connected to a empty keg or small barrel that tires the fish out as it dies or is too weak to go on... then its picked up by the fishing boat. kind of like in the movie JAWs, when they stuck the shark with a harpoon gun and it towed around a bunch of barrels.

Hi Eamonn,I have seen some professionals use Gorilla glue assembling bulkheads to the keel.They tack everything together with spots of Cyano with everything assembled dry,then apply beads of the glue to the outside of the joint and then wipe over the joint with a wet cotton bud.The theory is that the foaming nature causes the glue to expand into the joint,not tried it myself though.It is an idea to 'dowel' keel to the model if you have not yet thought of it.Brass or copper wire,anything 1mm or above will do the trick Eamonn.If you are at a loss,you can use the solid copper cable(2.5mmsq) and clamp one end in a vice,then stretch it till it snaps.This work hardens it and removes the bendy nature.I normally fit the keel,rudder post etc and leave to dry,then drill through the lot into the false keel.A dab of epoxy and a pumping action ensures the glue is distributed in the hole.Back to the gorilla glue,what ever you use it on must be clamped solid,the foaming tries to force the joint apart.Sorry for the lecture buddy,hope I don't come across as being dictatorial. :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks for the explanation J, I was wondering how you would harpoon such a fast creature :P

Nigel Thanks too for your explanation (in fact if you hadn't gone into detail I would only have been back in touch asking you questions as I was planning on pinning the Keel and Bow in place, I have some 1m wire ready for it!) I like your method for hardening copper wire too.

I see both yourself and J use Epoxy on builds so that confirms it.. off to the shops tomorrow :D

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Take it Easy

Eamonn