17th Century Shallop by ryesbeemer

This is my first attempt at scratch building, having kit-bashed a number of models. I work as a Museum Guide at Plimoth Plantation, which includes Mayflower II. During the off-season, I work in the Marine shop, doing routine yearly maintenance. As such, I have access to the Mayflower as well as her shallop. I will be using plans by William Baker, the original Naval Architect of the Mayflower II in 1955. The scale is 1/24.

The vessel was a 33 foot work boat that could be rowed or sailed and was common in the17th century. The Pilgrims cut the vessel into four pieces and stowed them on the orlop deck, where the passengers lived. Upon arrival in Provincetown, the shallop was re-assembled and used to explore the inner arm of Cape Cod, eventually landing in Plimoth.

The pics show the plans and a building board. In the background is the almost finished mast.

At this point I'm waiting on wood from HobbyMill, due at the end of the month, so, that's all for now!

post-4884-0-24325100-1390162010_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-69935400-1390162025_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-65235300-1390162046_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-49442400-1390162069_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-85251100-1390162105_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-93589400-1390162159_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-39076100-1390165479_thumb.jpg

Rick

I'll follow your log. I like those small boats.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Yes, welcome to the darkside.  With such fine drawings you should have fun building this lovely lapstreak boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks all for the comments.

Druxey and Sailor, I noticed the discrepancy regarding the pintles, also. Must be an error on the plans; the prototype works fine.

Bob, the boat was built at Plymouth Marine in 1956. For some reason, the yard decided to build her carvel planked. I'll be building her " as built" so carvel planking it will be!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

E&T,

the plans don't show many of the details on the prototype. Fortunately, I have access to the 1957 build. On Tuesday, I "dressed" the shallop mast' arranging all the shrouds, stays, etc. for up rigging. For example, the plans show the boat as clinker built, but the original is not.

Regards,

Rick

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some progress while waiting for some help on lofting the frames. Does anyone know of a clear practicum that I could use?

The keel, stem and stern post are waiting for the frames

The rudder is complete

One of two lee boards

How do I post pics directly above the pics?

Regards,

Rick

post-4884-0-44267000-1392495772_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-22056800-1392495794_thumb.jpg

post-4884-0-90081200-1392495890_thumb.jpg

Rick

i just type in the box (like here)

then pick "More Reply Options" below on the right

this opens buttons to add pics (attach files)

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Unfortunately, I developed some health issues that effectively ended my ship modeling hobby.  I now only enjoy visiting MSW and seeing the build logs and beautiful ships finished.  I still work on Mayflower; she recently returned to Plymouth after a 3 year restoration.

Rick

Not going to like that post, Rick.   I'm just glad you can still visit us and work on the Mayflower.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• The title was changed to 17th Century Shallop by ryesbeemer