Bounty by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - OcCre - 1/45

I do feel your pain Mike!

I know from my own experiences too of how badly things can go when we follow instructions.  Silly us!  But I also know how good it feels when we get it right with the help from the experienced builders here and everything is always better second or third time!

I really do look forward to seeing your final planking!

Mike, there is one thing I am very curious to know... How do you plan to plank that bow?  I can see you leave it unplanked for the time being, which is not the case with my Bounty. Are you supposed to plank at all or just fill it with some material and sand it to the shape needed?  

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

It remains un planked for the first layer. Then balsa filler blocks get put on and shaped before covering the whole lot with the second thin planking. Strange method I grant you but that is the way it is!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

The 'covering' of the hull with strips of wood is coming along very slowly. There is absolutely no way that I would describe what I am doing as planking. Suffice to say that I will need a great deal of help regarding 'lining', start point etc etc when it comes to covering up with a second layer.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

If it were me...inline with the top deck, following it's curve, (in the Bounty's case sweeping up at the bow a little greater a curve than the deck)...and go from there.

(here we go again :P )

Dare I ask...what does the instructions show?

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Woh there fella!!! Not even close to a second layer yet but, when I get there I was thinking of doing exactly what you just said and don't even begin to tell me 'I told you so' or any of that 'here we go again' stuff!!!!

(Only joking but I'll bet that had you going for a micro second - tee hee!)

Also, no you dare not, you wouldn't like what they tell me to do at all!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

HI Mike ,i see your planking is going well the only advice i can offer is try all the methods on your first planking  eg stealers ,half stealers ,lining etc cause you will probably need them all on the second run ,i know im finding the second planking very slow with a lot of head scratching and scrap timber . But good luck and keep at it . Have fun!!!                             Boyd 

Hiya Mike, I've dug out a few in-progress photo's of the various ships I have planked so you can see the general idea of how the planking is put together. They show the use of stealers/drop planks, tapering the planks at the bow/stern etc

post-4641-0-84125200-1398148782_thumb.jpg

post-4641-0-86363100-1398148874_thumb.jpg

post-4641-0-00339600-1398148880_thumb.jpg

post-4641-0-65475000-1398148983_thumb.jpg

post-4641-0-87669300-1398148999_thumb.jpg

post-4641-0-27006900-1398149030_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dominic

Many thanks for those, in fact without realising it I have been trying a few techniques without really meaning to. At least this first layer is turning out to be a learning experience!!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi guys,

If you allow me I could share an oppinion.

The way one does the planking depends on the goals he tries to achieve. There are certain rules, which you can follow, or you can of course override.., depending on the goal.

What I see on the above pics is right, if you do not care about the rules. Yet, if you decide to be precise - there are some unacceptable mistakes. For example -  the way the planks of the first layer meet at the bow in thi first picture - this could not happen in real life. Another thing - A plank cannot end in a needle point, as it is shown in the last pic. In fact they say the plank should never be tapered more than half of its width.

My personal oppinion, and what I am trying to do  is - do the first planking the way it suits me best, following no rules but making it even and strong. And then - pay more attention to the second layer, which willl be visible to the crytics.

Needless to say that a single planked hull is quite quite quite another story... Never again, I promisse!........

Cheers

========

Thank you CF, I really appreciate that.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well, after a bit of a pause here is an update.

The first layer of planking except for the transom is done!!!!

I have lots of tidying up to do, plank under the transom, cut and add the bow blocks. Then loads of sanding to smooth everything down before trying to plank it properly next time!!!

post-10647-0-83843200-1398762937_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-88878500-1398762980_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-10514400-1398763038_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-72826900-1398763085_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

See now that wasn't too bad was it?

Great work though. If I can make one observation and give a little advice for the next time though. On the closed side, you maybe tapered the planks a little too far back from the bow. Generally you will find the taper only needs to start at about the 3rd frame-ish. That's what you ended up with a slightly up-down across the length around the middle of the hull.

First planking doesn't matter as long as it is smooth which it looks like it is.

Good work!

Regards,

Dominic

Thanks Dom, the up - down bit was due to the original error, as in following the instructions!!! Even taking some planks off was not enough to correct it but I wasn't going to take them all off and start again. I will certainly be doing the second planking differently but at least I should have a smooth solid surface to work on for that.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Oh, that was fast, mate! Seems you ve spent most of the Easter holidays in your workshop ;-)

Nice work, keep on moving!

I have not touched her for a good 10 days... Other things keep me busy.

But, I'll be back!!

========

Hey look at that.  You covered the hull. Success. That is a big hull.  Has anyone told you that? I bet you learned some things along the way.  Also success!

The bow blocks shouldnt be too bad.

Nice work. :pirate41:

Hi mike.

Very nice work. Lookes to be a nice model.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks very much Antony, at least I covered the hull. I will try very hard to make it look more pleasing and accurate when I do the second layer. I think it will be a nice model when finished if ever I get that far. I am surprised that the interior is completely different from the AL version but I seem to be the only person trying the OcCre version. It looks as though you like these big beasties as well, the only trouble is that mistakes are bigger as well!

Anyway, many thanks for your interest and comments.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well fans!!

I have for a change had quite a good day. It has been glorious Scottish Spring sunshine all day so I managed to get outside to do the sanding. Captain Al had recommended a good tool for me which must have saved me a very long time.

It still took a long time. So, the beast had been sanded mechanically and then once by hand. A tiny amount of filler was required I am proud to say before a fine hand sanding again.

The whole hull has now also been painted with watered down PVA to seal it and make it even stronger than it already was. It must have been pretty strong to deal with the machine sanding!!

Next stage whenever is to mark out where the first second plank has to go. The lovely, wonderful, oh so helpful instructions are quite specific but be assured ship mates it will be in line with the top deck in a nice gentle curve!!!

Just a thought when you have finished admiring my pictures (!!!) would anyone like to suggest the best method for sticking on the second planking?

post-10647-0-76482800-1399047221_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-31550100-1399047265_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-72295700-1399047311_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-51280100-1399047353_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-46256000-1399047393_thumb.jpg

I still think it looks like a zeppelin!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: