Bounty by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - OcCre - 1/45

I'm not very clever but my thought would be, tight enough to be taut but not so tight as to put any real tension on them and the masts themselves.  I think the idea is that they look more taut than running rigging, but since this is a model, they're not really holding up the mast.  And also remember, depending on the point of sail (which direction the wind is coming from) the windward side's shrouds are tighter than the lee side.  Not knowing how delicate things up top are, I would not risk putting any more tension than is needed to look good.  I wonder, will the thread you use have much stretch over time?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there viewers!

An update for you. After a great deal of eye strain, some new terms of abuse invented and at times a serious loss of sense of humour I have completed the shrouds on the sides of the boat and the ratlines !! I now fully understand why people build plastic model ships with pre- formed ratlines etc. I thought for fun I might count the number of hand tied knots but gave up after about 800 ! 

I did have to redo all the deadeyes on the fore and main masts as I made a complete mess of them first time. I learned a lot from it and my second attempt whilst not perfect I am certainly more pleased with.

post-10647-0-37584600-1410018231_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-40572300-1410018275_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-53528600-1410018313_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-15238600-1410018362_thumb.jpg

Now of course I have to deal with the rest of the standing rigging. Does anyone have some decent diagrams/plans of the rest of the rigging that you could send me from a similar build. My plans are dreadful and I really don't want to put rigging in the wrong places and spoil what I have done so far.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Sorry can,t help with rigging plans but you have done a fantastic job so far !! Been considering this for my next build but that,s a long way away  it certainly looks impressive .Is the 1;45 harder or easier than a 1;75 ,more detail possible i suppose ??

I really couldn't say I'm afraid. Every Bounty model I have seen so far has been different. This one has been and still is pretty hard but I am only a beginner and really should have got a simpler model to start with.

But thanks very much for the comment.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Mike,

Wow!  I am still amazed at the quality of your work as you are so new to the hobby yourself.  Your shrouds look fantastic!

Although you have lots count of the number of knots, I hope you are keeping a record of the new and creative swear words so that you can use them on special occasions  :P

Weeel, Mike,  you are a speed-runner! Great job! Wish I could also have that much time!

About the plans - I cannot see anything better than 'The Anatomy...". Do you have it? I can mail it to you if you want.

As a reward, please send me the record of swear words that Bindy mentioned  ;)   I'll need it very soon, I hope

Edited by Capt.Fisher

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

Hi Mike,

I agree with Bindy - your rigging, esp the shrouds looks great. Tight and well-shaped... A lot of knots...

Pls continue and keep us on the way...

Best wishes

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Nice to know you're still working on Bounty.  So am I, but I'm still bogged down in the planking phase.  You've done fantastic in all phases of your build.  What would you say was the hardest part so far?  Its great that you can get such good support here on MSW.  I don't post to my log any more cause it seems no-one is watching.  But I do get answers to questions if I post them in other forums.  BTW, just a rough count but it looks like you must have 1112 knots just to complete the ratlines.  That doesn't include attachment points or any other lines.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Captain Al has very kindly sent me some pictures of rigging which are proving to be very useful but Capt.Fisher if you can send more I am grateful for any/all contributions. The rigging is proving harder than I thought and I am only able to follow the order in the parts list to give me any clue.

I can't believe Al that you tried to count the knots - you really should get out more! But, in answer to your question about wood, I know I am very careful not to waste anything but I have more than enough wood for this kit. I have always found OcCreto be not exactly generous but ample with their supplies.

Maybe I should have a word with the forum moderators and see if I can create a new list of 'words' for the use of frustrated modellers!

I must also add a big thank you to Dan Vadas who was a tremendous help with regard to the placing of shrouds and without him I would not be where I have got to.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

OK fans, this is where I am!

I have done all the standing rigging I can until I have to fit the yards.

I am told that, if I am going to fit sails onto the boat I should attach the sails to the yards before attaching the yards to the masts.

I am at that stage and would value the considered opinions of anyone out there who cares - do I try to put sails on the boat or not?

It is completely new territory for me as I have never done it before.

I eagerly await your responses!

post-10647-0-84614000-1410543860_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-95723000-1410543899_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Have been wondering about rolled up sails on my own build so i think i have some idea of your quandry . The only advice i can offer is that in my opinion if sails are not done to a very realistic standard they can spoil an otherwise outstanding build ,and i am in no way doubting your ability to achieve this but as you said it is completely new to you . Other say it,s a pity to hide all that rigging with sails  and then some say a build is not complete without sails  . Im sorry not much help ,others more experienced may have better advice ?

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you have completed the Standing rigging - everything looks as it should :) .

BTW, I confused myself in the PM reply earlier - the kit I was referring to that had the garbage rigging diagrams was AL's HMS Supply, not their Bounty which had quite good rigging plans. I think I still have them somewhere, so if you need any help with the Running rigging feel free to ask. In any case, the only things that change from ship to ship in this period are some of the belaying points - most other rigging is pretty well the same.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Mike,

Your rigging truly looks wonderful and I hope you are proud!

I can't be too much help myself sorry as I have not yet attempted to put sails on something so complicated, but yes I have read too about attaching sails to the yards before attaching the yards to the masts.

It would be a shame to hide your incredible work, but on the other hand there is nothing that looks finer than a sailing ship with full sails.  And then just to prove me wrong there are some wonderful examples of ships with furled sails that are a cross between two perfections.

Again, please take my advice with a grain of salt based on my experience, but is it worth trying your hand at one set of sails, both fully out (I doubt that is the correct term) and one furled and see what you are happiest with yourself?  Keeping in mind your Bounty looks SO good that it would be a real shame to do the sails in a way that you didn't like yourself.

I hope that makes sense and good luck with your decision!!

• 1 month later...

Greetings!!

I hadn't realised it was over a month since I reported in but here I am.

Firstly I must include my sincere thanks to Dan Vadas and Capt.Al without whom reaching the stage I am at would have been quite impossible and so I really want to express my gratitude to them both.

Well folks, after much thought and heavy persuasion from members of the family who told me my boat would not be complete without them, I decided to go for broke and put sails on the beast !!!

I failed to follow advice from those on MSW and put the yards on first because I decided to follow the order of my woefully inadequate parts list. There was after all a great deal of rigging to do once they were on and before sails were added. Someone had said attach the sails to the yards first but in all honesty I was glad I didn't as I could never have attached the yards properly with sails attached.

However I must be equally honest and say that attaching sails afterwards has been very fiddly but then this whole rigging lark is.

It is quite amusing in a way - the instruction booklet I have has some photos in it but there are at least two if not three different rigging setups. The parts list is different again, it is completely different from the AL version and the McKay book! Suffice to say that thus far I have had to use average opinion and an amount of what I like to call 'maritime licence' !!!

I know there are one or two bits that are totally wrong and the same that could be right. Apparently when Capt. Bligh took on the ship he re rigged it anyway to suit himself so I am quite sure there must be several acceptable ways.

Anyway, I now have all the 'forward' facing sails on and rigged. I still have what I call the 'sideways' sails to do, the lifeboat to fix on, the open side to 'accessorise' and some general tidying up to do before I can call it finished. I'll let you see it when it's done.  

post-10647-0-60271100-1413390772_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-76233200-1413390806_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-82154300-1413390843_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-36642700-1413390885_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Greetings,

After 8 months my OcCre Bounty is finally finished.

It has been a huge learning experience and mostly a great deal of fun. I didn't expect the hull planking to be so hard and likewise the rigging. In the end I am glad I gave her sails, as someone said a sailing ship should have them and I guess they were right.

Before I let you see the pictures, in true Hollywood style I would like to say a few thanks.

Firstly to those on MSW who gave me such a warm welcome in the first place and some who continued to follow my log.

To Capt.Al who has shared his build with mine, been a huge help with research and companionship.

To Dan Vadas who, despite being an experienced ship builder has always found time to help a novice.

To Cannon Fodder who tried so hard to teach me hull planking.

To Shihawk who kept watching and boosted my flagging ego.

To Fifthace who gave friendly criticism and a lot of advice 

and to Bindy for her amazing enthusiasm, her sense of humour, her bravery and her friendship.

And now Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Bounty, may God bless her and all who sail in her.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

post-10647-0-21236600-1413908626_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-21777800-1413908670_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-82822600-1413908716_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-95685500-1413908762_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-72560900-1413908811_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-83077000-1413908860_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-19912000-1413908906_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-84966200-1413908959_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-22695400-1413909014_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-64079700-1413909066_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-47616400-1413909116_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-19073400-1413909173_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Masterful job.  I hereby promote you from lieutenant to first lieutenant even though I have no authority to do so.  There is a lot more interior detail than you even told me about doing.  I'm not jealous that I did not put greenery into my pots.  I thought we both agreed that our Bountys would be outward bound models.  Everything about the build is fantastic.  Thanks for sharing it all with me for the past year. 

Very nice work  Mike - Chapeau.

You should spend her a case to prevent the beauty from dirty old ugly dust :)

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Well done Mike, she looks the goods :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

congrats Mike,

a beautiful build indeed...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi folks,

May I say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to send a post on both my log and my gallery. I am really flattered and grateful that you consider the work of a novice builder to be worthy of such praise.

I am not thinking of making a case for her as it would cost almost as much as the original build. I realise that she will gather dust but eventually that should 'age' her nicely and provide a home for the odd spider or two.

Sadly in a way not that many people will ever see her so her preservation is not so important. For me the joy is in the making and a satisfactory end result which I imagine applies to many of the MSW members.

I am going to have a brief sabbatical and make a horse drawn taxi next to keep me occupied but fear not, I shall return with a new build when I have decided which paddle steamer I am going to do. I have done one, the Spirit of the Mississippi (another OcCre kit) but I want her to have a companion so I have big hopes for Christmas. 

Thank you all again for your very kind comments.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Very cool looking model, Mike! Great work

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 year later...

Found your build log today. I thought about buying this model a few weeks back but  got Cazador instead. Very nice build! I´m a sucker for cutaways and your log really peaked my interest in this model. Sad I have three unbuilt models to finish before I can start  on this one :)