Bounty by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - OcCre - 1/45

Looking great Mike!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I have now finished the hull ! There are a few accessories like barrels etc to add but they will wait until I come to the end as I don't want them rattling about. A few bits to do on the launch as well but they also will wait.

Thought you would like a few pics. For the purists amongst you out there I have made a couple of minor modifications and I may give prizes for anyone that can find them!!!. The fact that it is not painted is not a modification but personal choice so no prizes for that.

post-10647-0-11379900-1404572904_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-69188500-1404572956_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-93609300-1404572992_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-92632300-1404573034_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-98372300-1404573082_thumb.jpg

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

So, that's the easy part done. Next the masts, spars, rigging etc etc.

Before I start here are some views from the mast before I start them!!

post-10647-0-58362400-1404573226_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-82536900-1404573277_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-34448700-1404573326_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-51344300-1404573370_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Beautiful work Mike - now you're on to the fun part!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Oh don't I just know it - like I said I have done the easy bit and guess what - there are no instructions at all, just plans to work from!!

There have to be easier hobbies than this!

Anyway, thanks all for the kind comments so far!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi again already!!! Can anyone tell me what 'bowsprit bees' are and what they are for

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Morning Mike , bowspirit bee,s are in fact a little known form of honey bee that nested only in bowsprits and provided a usefull source of honey for sailors who  prefered honey not marmalaide on there toast in the mornings . Sorry Mike i have included a pic from the anatomy of nelson,s ships which may be of help

post-7919-0-19376100-1404715567_thumb.jpg

All to complicated for me but there is more written information if you require it let me know ?

Many thanks Bindy for you kind words.

Shihawk, thank you very much for the info and taking the time for me. I think I now know more or less what I have to do. I haven't actually started on the masts etc yet, just trying to work out how to do it. The plans I have and the parts list are not the same, measurements and quantities vary considerably so I think I am going to have to work from the plans mostly, especially for measurements.

This is going to be a very long haul - do you ever get the feeling that you have bitten off more than you can chew?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Keep chewing!!

Meanwhile, this is probably the most stupid question that I have asked to date but, does anyone know what kind of timber masts, spars etc used to be made from? I thought it was oak but my wonderful parts list says it should be mahogany or similar.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Oh, that's a surprise! We are kind of knee deep in Sitka spruce up here in bonny Scotland, it's a shame really but all down to growing subsidies.

I don't know what colour to stain the masts now.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 1 month later...

Greetings all!

An update for you. I have now completed all the masts and the yards complete with pulleys, blocks, foot ropes, spars etc. Sure was a long job, I don't find tapering one of my favourite tasks.

The observant amongst you will notice that I have pre-threaded all the blocks etc under the foremast platform as I can't for the life of me see how they could be threaded once the shrouds and ratlines are in place.

Do you think this is good idea and if so should I do the same for the other masts?

My task now as I am sure you know is to knit this lot together! It's going to be a long haul!

post-10647-0-57421600-1407849025_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-80993000-1407849074_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-15310000-1407849119_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-15369400-1407849163_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-64878300-1407849206_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks very much CF! Not too bad for a beginner maybe. I just have to figure out how on earth all the bits fit together now!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

very nice looking build Mike,

enjoyable to see the Progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike, what brilliant job you have done! Fantastic looking model.

I've just spent an hour or so reading this whole thread and found it very interesting and helpful.

I have just started my very first ship model. Gorch Fock 1:90 by Mantua. After hours of online reading, studying the instructions/labelling, I finally made a start yesterday (I have made the stand!). Your building log here has inspired me to do the same, as you have had such helpful friendly advice along the way, which I know I will also require! What a great site! Cheers

Thanks everybody for the nice comments, I am very flattered! Jastrzab, how long have you suffered from sadistic tendancies?

I have been brave and started the rigging today. I have 'gammoned' my bowsprit wrongly but it doesn't show so it's staying like that! I put on four shrouds - did it wrong - took them off and then did two on each side correctly!! Not a great deal for a whole afternoons labour!!

Never mind I have learned a lot which I guess is what it's all about!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Can any clever person out there tell me how tight I should have the shrouds?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: