Euromodel Como Kit Discussion

NMBROOK

Greetings Cabrillo,

I built the frigate Ajax by Euro Model several years ago. The Ajax that fought at Trafalgar in 1805 was really a 74 gun ship, not a frigate as indicated in the history of the ship as told by Euro Model. Note that EM specifically states that their Ajax fought at Trafalgar. It is possible that there was an Ajax frigate, but it did not fight at Trafalgar. As a result I did a little modification of the kit and came up with the 32 gun frigate HMS Juno. I bought some carronades and mounted them fore and aft on the spar deck and got rid of the beakhead bulkhead. In my opinion, Euro Model makes an excellent product, although they ought to update the history of the ship, if there ever was a frigate Ajax.

wq3296

The history of the ship has been under discussion for a long time. In the end the kit , for me, was a good starting point and learning platform. This is my first full blown plank on frame ship model. The plans are very detailed and very well done. Also you get to learn Italian! What could be better! I will post again when I get into rigging the sails. Hold fast.

Cabrillo,

I'd like to suggest you open a build log.  Bring us up to date and carry on from there.  I think there's lots of folks who would like to see your log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pete,

Update seems to create more questions than answers. Trafalgar happened in October 1805, and there was an HMS Ajax at the battle according to three books I have that detail the entire engagement. According to the EM history the Ajax fell off the radar screen at the end of 1802. If the original Ajax was lost/decommissioned shortly thereafter, is it possible the Brits could have commissioned a 74 gun and named it Ajax in time for it to participate at Trafalgar? In my opinion possible, but is it probable? I don't know how long it was taking Britain to build, outfit, and commission a 74 gun ship in those days. Is it possible that Britain had two ships named Ajax at the same time? Are the accounts of the battle wrong and there was not a 74 gun Ajax at Trafalgar? To me it is more probable that EM somehow screwed up the history or simply fabricated a history, not realizing that the real Ajax was not a frigate nor that it was at Trafalgar. Let's not forget that EM's history says there is no more information on Ajax after 1802. Apparently, their research was faulty. Regardless, the kit is a great product.

wq3296 

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know it's not exactly a 'research' source):

HMS Ajax was an Ajax class 74-gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She was built by John Randall & Co of Rotherhithe and launched on the Thames on 3 March 1798.[2] Ajax participated in the Egyptian operation of 1801, the Battle of Cape Finisterre in 1805 and the Battle of Trafalgar, before she was lost to a disastrous fire in 1807 during the Dardanelles Operation.

This is corroborated by multiple sources on the web via a quick Google search, including the book -"A history of the sailing ships of the Royal Navy by Michael Phillips" and Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of All Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy From the Fifteenth Century to the Present.  by Ben Warlow, Naval Institute Press, 1987. ISBN 0-87021-652-X.

Edit:

As to the question of whether there was a different ship - a frigate - bearing the name of Ajax at the same time, the book listed above by Ben Warlow from the Naval Institute Press says:

Eight ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Ajax after the Greek hero Ajax:

Edited by GuntherMT

• 1 month later...

As some of you know I had a dispute with a retailer over a Euromodel kit. The retailer never sent me anything and I had to get a refund from Paypal. Euromodel heard about this issue through Pete who runs their helpdesk and although Euromodel was in no way part of this dispute they offered me a discount on the kit as a compensation for my trouble with the retailer!!!!

This is really an example of extraordinaire customer care I never have experienced before, and it shows how much Euromodel values their customers.

Thank you Euromodel and thank you Pete.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

• 4 months later...

Just a quick heads up to EuromodeI fanboys...I found an Easter greetings email  from the manufacturer this weekend. Nice gesture, I thought and a sneaky way to direct you to the website which is offering another discounted sale.

I started my Le Renommee so someone kick my behind to kickstart my build log...LOL.....

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Ok. JP... START THE BUILD LOG!!!!!!  post-76-0-51801200-1428260829.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)