H.M.S. Triton (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale, started by AL

I thought I remembered something about the bow of the ship..... now I know!!  Life aboard ship in those days does not sound that great, those crewmen were a hardy breed for sure!!  ;) Thanks for the info!!!

AL

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Al

Thank You for that link to your U-tube video's. Looks like you have worked hard on getting that set up. I ran out of money before I was able to finish CNC-ing my mill. Planned 4 axis. Have the big mill and the rotary table that goes on it's side and the live center tail stock. Stopped at the part where I was about to buy the 4-cnc motors and then make the hardware to mount everything and start into the cnc world. Maybe someday. Need more days like today at work.

Thank You for sharing how you are doing this project. Enjoy the build. I'm looking forward to reviewing your u-tube stuff over the weekend. While I'm at work I normally just visit this site while I'm eating breakfast or lunch. Work what can we say. I keep saying that if I work hard enough I can retire somewhat in a few years, or not. LOL

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Tim.... Thats Great!!! Glad you enjoyed my video's, Yes, been a long haul getting all this built but its been worth it to me.  Hard to believe I started out with pushing a Dremel tool with 125oz. motors on a John K. home made gas pipe & skate bearings "Pipe Dream" machine many years ago to what I have built up now!! If there is any way you can, I'd say build that Cnc machine and don't look back!! I run mine at the cheap level, no fancy stuff like limit switches just basic cut & go!! All home made even down to the plywood E-chain!!  I'm retired now and lots of time to play with my toys and still learning new things, it never ends or at least I hope not!... LOL Keep the faith buddy!!! ;)

AL 

Not sure where everyone gets their Cannon Balls but here's one choice I'll more then likely use....... 

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=240-2436&PMPXNO=4837957

Think 250 ea. Cannon Balls is enough??.... :pirate41:

:piratetongueor4: AL

Al

I guess that I should add that I know the size of those frame pieces as I redid the scale on mine and I'm also working (yes, when) 1:24 scale also.

Your CNC setup does a very quick job as compared to the way that I and everyone else cuts them out with a jigsaw or whatever.

Enjoy Life.

Later Tim

Thanks Tim!! Yes..... the Cnc does a good job of it.... now I'm side tracked rebuilding the Cannon rotator... LOL  I'll get back to getting the rest of the hull formers cut soon, just finished getting my 1" shaft bearing mounts made for the Cannon rotator and working on what next to do to mount the 3-jaw chuck and motor coupler to the 1" shaft. Had to turn my hat around and be the ship's machinist making repairs...LOL :cheers:

post-11747-0-87630100-1397264008_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-10307300-1397264039_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-57444900-1397264362_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-37868700-1397264115_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-07554200-1397264144_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-23416200-1397264176_thumb.jpg

:piratetongueor4: AL

Well Good Luck with that. Looks like a good upgrade.

Was just talking with a few of the fellows at my house about cnc-ing my mill again. Someday..

Enjoy life!

Later Tim

Yep.....I don't think the new 1" steel shaft will be as wimpy as the old 1/2" shaft was, and bend at the first wind! Thats what all this is about, experimentation to see what works and what don't .... LOL Then make it better!! :cheers: 

:piratetongueor4: AL 

Al

Just came across your build, and have read it from the start. I find it very interesting and will be following. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the good information on CNC. Love the quality for your photos, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Thanks Ron!!! Just finishing the Cnc rotary rebuild this morning, almost done, just need a few holes drilled/ Tapped to hold it all together! I'll be chewing on some wood soon making my Cannons or at least giving it a good try! :cheers:

New 1" Steel Drive Shaft for Cnc Rotator replacing a bent 1/2" shaft.

post-11747-0-52570200-1397556960_thumb.jpg

Turned down end to 1/2" so it fits in brass stepper motor coupler.

post-11747-0-01029900-1397557101_thumb.jpg

AL

Got the 4th axis rotator done, just need to complete the electrical connection and rig up the tail stock for it, then set up the Aspire software to make a canon.  Sounds so easy.... wish it was that easy, there are a few checks and setups to do before I get to cut any wood. This completes a 14 hour day for me playing with this, now I need a rest and then clean the mill room, what a mess in there, tools everywhere.... LOL Its amazing how many tools are needed to do a project of this magnitude!!

The pivot point on the rotator gives me the ability to rotate the whole rotator manually from horizontal to vertical or any point in between. It could be called a 5th axis but its not Computer controlled, I manually adjust it by rotating the wooden gear on the plywood faceplate, which has a friction lock to keep it from moving during use. Much like a table saw blade tilt lock.  

post-11747-0-86434900-1397623209_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-32926300-1397623241_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-82482700-1397623262_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-84047700-1397623289_thumb.jpg

AL

That is a different way to set up the 5th axis. Interesting. Good Luck with the start up.

Later Tim

Thanks Tim!!  Got the Tailstock mounted, just a bit of fine tuning and power hookup and she'll be ready to test on some wood!! :cheers:  That completes all the mechanical work on the rotary 4th axis, next will be the re-learning of the software again, been awhile since I've played with Aspires Wrapper software, which is what I'll be using to make the cannons gcode.

post-11747-0-09549400-1397675839_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-27341100-1397675860_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-01262900-1397675878_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-00207000-1397675897_thumb.jpg

AL

Saw the tailstock and said that's interesting then of course noted the whole setup is interesting and I believe that he said that he did it his way for almost everything.

You really (if you would be so kind) should set up a build thread on your cnc machines and how what etc in a different section of this website. PLEASE.

Also keep up this great build thread of course. Thanks

Good Luck with the g-code review.

Later Tim

Thanks Tim!! If enough people were interested then I could post some info over in the "Modeling tools and Workshop Equipment" section! 

Spent all night doing the fine tuning and got all the configurations in Mach3 set so it would all work correctly together and......Drum roll here......the first test Cannon in almost done with its rough cut!!!!  Well....shiver me timbers!!.... its done with the rough cut!! :cheers:  Now to do a tool change and get the finish cut done! Here's what it looks like so far, the tail end is modified somewhat so as to have some meat for the 3-jaw chuck to hold on to, I'll cut and add the tailpiece later.

Took 1 hour to do the roughing cut, 1/4" Ball nose bit, 10% step over, 70 IPM. More coming so stay tuned in!! :piratetongueor4:

post-11747-0-67126300-1397742556_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-62702700-1397742578_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-52018500-1397742598_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-91799700-1397742617_thumb.jpg

AL

Nice real nice. Like the simple gets it done dust collector.

Looks like the g-code review worked. Way to go. Several more if you please.

Later Tim

Very impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys!! Here's the finished cut before I slice off the ends.  I made a video, waiting for U-tube to digest it.... LOL

The wood is Poplar, took 45 mins to do the finish cut with a 1/8" Ball Nose bit, 5% step over, 70 IPM.

post-11747-0-85553500-1397771818_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-22583200-1397771867_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-62480100-1397771896_thumb.jpg

AL

Wow, that was moving a lot faster than I thought that it would be moving. Also always think of a cannon being made in a lathe setup not in a mill setup. So that was interesting to me. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Later Tim

Thanks guys!!  Now back to the drawing board and redesign how that cannon is cut, got to be able to drill the hole in it squarely before I cut it to shape and it would be nice to have it all one piece as I cut it.

AL 

Thanks Tim!! If enough people were interested then I could post some info over in the "Modeling tools and Workshop Equipment" section!

Yes please do. I am also running Mach3, but I have it configure to work in Win7 64bit, and man was that a bitch. Would like to see more about your setup if you could please an old man.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks Wacko Joe!! Good to see another Mach3 user here!!! Win7, 32 bit here...... Yes !!!, Mach3 can be a royal pain at times to configure, it has so many options to it!!! I about pulled what little hair I have out trying to set up this rotator with it..... LOL Yes, maybe we do need some postings on Ship building using a Cnc wood mill over in the "Modeling Tools and Workshop Equipment" section!!  Also in the news....... in about 6 hours I'll be receiving a Jim Byrnes mini table saw!!! I'll be doing a unpacking and review of it, not sure its been done on here lately. I'm really excited about getting it, been waiting 3 weeks now for Mr. Byrnes crew to get er done and the day is now here!!!....YIPPEE!!!! :cheers:

So yes, looks like I've got some work to do posting things on here, if it will help people build ships models!! :D   

AL

No problem Joe..... I have to admit I'm a bit of a show off when it comes to my Cnc wood mill....LOL

Its not just a hobby to me but a way of life it seems!!... :cheers:  And now its Model Ships!! :piratetongueor4:

AL

Well it seems that there are several of us interested in your CNC wood mill setup. So how about showing it off?? Set up a thread in one of the other areas. I know that I would welcome it!! Seems that there are several others that would also. Please do it.

Later Tim

Done deal Tim!! And the PDF booklet about CNC is posted with it! See "Modeling Tools and Workshop Equipment" section for the post!  :cheers:

AL