HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

I painted my masts ochre and the yards black. I think if I were to do it again I might paint the mast bands black instead of the ochre for a bit of contrast but this was not a fancy boat. She was a working "girl".

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Sorry I forgot to add that I think I would have used the kit supplied dowels were I to have not painted the masts and yards.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Thank you Mort, I've covered her outer bulwarks with a walnut-like varnish and I'm thinking to use walnut dowel for the unpainted parts of the rest of the masts to match the bulwarks outer color.

I'm seeing that Jason has used walnut parts too, but I'm not so sure which option is more historically suitable...

Thanks.

Edited by Stergios

Vasileios has posted me a couple of photos illustrating the in black and yellow ochre of all the parts of the masts of Victory.

Jim has painted this way his model.

I still have the tendency to leave the upper parts unpainted just for better matching with the bulwarks, but I'm debating myshelf between the dowels of the kit and the aftermarket's walnut... 

Edited by Stergios

Thank you Mort, I've covered her outer bulwarks with a walnut-like varnish and I'm thinking to use walnut dowel for the unpainted parts of the rest of the masts to match the bulwarks outer color.

I'm seeing that Jason has used walnut parts too, but I'm not so sure which option is more historically suitable...

Thanks.

I think you are safe doing what you think looks best - check out the pictures of the HMS Vanguard kit from Amati - it shows the unpainted topmasts as well.  http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Amati/HMS%20Vanguard%20AM130004/HMS_Vanguard.htm

As far as historical accuracy - I'm sure painted and non-painted are equally appropriate.  The reason for painting I think is more to mask the lighter colour of the dowels which don't really match the walnut.

Your Snake is looking great!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thehe a slight deviation of the mainmast (I think...) to the right.

Any idea on how to fix it?

I've already fixed the mast-base rings on the deck...

Hi Jason, glad to see you back and thank you!

As far as your model, have you use walnut aftermarket dowels for the middle and upper stems of the fore and mainmast?

Thanks again.

Hi Jason, glad to see you back and thank you!

As far as your model, have you use walnut aftermarket dowels for the middle and upper stems of the fore and mainmast?

Thanks again.

Yes I did - as well as the jib-boom on the bowsprit.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.
I'mo about to drill the 1,5 mm holes at the base of the topmast and topgallant mast to pass at a later stage the 1,5x1,5 walnut strip fid dowel.
The instructions call for drilling the hole at a height of 10 mm from the bottom of each dowel but when i'm looking the plan i'm measuring the height at 6 mm....
Do you consider that difference as a basic/critical for the next steps and what's the "right height" for that hole?
Thank you.

Stergios

Edited by Stergios

The 1.5mm dowel that is passed through the hole will rest on the trestletree assembly of the mast below and is in essense what 'holds' the mast in place. What you will want to do is ensure that the hole is at the correct hight so that the transition from square profile to round profile of the mast sits within the wooden brace that holds the two masts parallel.

Thats probably about as badly explained is it could be but my brain seems to have gone on holiday today.....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I agree with Jim -  Its better to get the mast positioned correctly and determine the position of the hole than rely on the 10mm indicated.  The plans are not accurate enough to blindly rely on them.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jim, Jason and Mort

thank you, again for your support!

Wanted to pre-shape all the yards of the ship. Giving a rectangular shape to the mid-section of each dowel and planking it with walnut thin planks was so easy. I liked Jason's technique so I decided to follow that way even with 4mm dowels...

post-944-0-99969000-1410618109_thumb.jpg

Week-ends, when I'm at home I find time to make progress...

Today is time to align and test foremast and mainmast parts respectively.

These are the top mast and topgallant mast of the fore and main masts respectively... post-944-0-59109800-1410695978_thumb.jpg

The foremastpost-944-0-43004900-1410695985_thumb.jpg

and the mainmast  post-944-0-66148100-1410695991_thumb.jpgboth dry-fitted...

That's another testing of the lowermasts post-944-0-29211600-1410696651_thumb.jpg

And for first time this is a dry-fitted placement of all the masts (except the bowsprit) of the model. post-944-0-56174700-1410696658_thumb.jpg

I think I'm ok as far as the posterior tilting/inclination of the masts is concerned...

Edited by Stergios

I think Jim's suggestion should work just fine...is the difference noticeable to the eye?  Bubble levels can have a tendency to induce panic and call out problems that at not that noticeable.  When raining masts on my Snake, I tried to look at the whole mast together (main, top, and topgallant) as there were likely small bowing of the down not noticeable individually, it also helps ensure that you don't fix a problem that creates a larger one down the road.  Just my experience!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I think Jim's suggestion should work just fine...is the difference noticeable to the eye?  Bubble levels can have a tendency to induce panic and call out problems that at not that noticeable.  When raining masts on my Snake, I tried to look at the whole mast together (main, top, and topgallant) as there were likely small bowing of the down not noticeable individually, it also helps ensure that you don't fix a problem that creates a larger one down the road.  Just my experience!

Thank you Jason

I've tried to demonstrate the visual feeling of the difference (see post #510).

It's a slight difference but I'd like to reduce that problem... post-944-0-28359600-1410716687_thumb.jpg

That's a posterior view of the modelpost-944-0-01122900-1410716690_thumb.jpg