How to sand longer stock?

Hi everyone,

I've decided on my next build to replace the kit would with better wood from Jeff at Hobbymill.  I'm thinking ahead about how to create and finish the keel and stem post.  I have the Byrnes table saw and disc sander at the moment, but was wondering, for the longer pieces, how do you sand them to have a perfectly straight line?  

On the disc sander, I think you're only supposed to sand on one side of the disc.  So for longer pieces that exceed the radius, can you use the disc sander?  Or is there some other way to ensure that long lines are straight?

Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The cheap no thrills way I do this is to glue glasspaper to a long(at least 200mm) piece of wood.You get far more control than messing with a normal sanding block and if you make it long and narrow,you are less likely to 'dome' the face you are sanding.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I agree with Nigel use some double sided tape and make yourself some long sanding sticks if you use the edge of a wider board it will remain rigid and be easier to hold.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you guys!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

An idea that I picked up from an ex tool maker is to clamp the long sanding device in a vice or on the bench then move the item to be sanded along the top. I have some long straight files which I clamp in to my vice for this purpose. One thing to watch out for when doing this (teaching granny to suck eggs here probably  :)) is that the resistance from the sandpaper is backwards along the underside of the piece but your forward pressure to move the piece is along the top. This tends to give a rotating force that puts more pressure on the front edge of the piece that can, if not counteracted, result in tapering at the front of the piece.

It is a great way of doing your nails at the same time. :)  :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

You could always invest in a Thickness sander from Jim Bynes ;) Same fantastic quality as his other tools. Perhaps not applicable in all situations, but worth thinking about.

You could always invest in a Thickness sander from Jim Bynes ;) Same fantastic quality as his other tools. Perhaps not applicable in all situations, but worth thinking about.

I was wondering about this - can you use the thickness sander where the piece is fed through the machine on its thinner end?  Or do you build some sort of sled so that the piece stays perpendicular to the table?  

I did invest in a Byrnes thickness sander, but unfortunately it was damaged during shipping last week.  Jim has been very helpful in working with the shipping company.

Mike

Mike,

An idea that I picked up from an ex tool maker is to clamp the long sanding device in a vice or on the bench then move the item to be sanded along the top. I have some long straight files which I clamp in to my vice for this purpose. One thing to watch out for when doing this (teaching granny to suck eggs here probably  :)) is that the resistance from the sandpaper is backwards along the underside of the piece but your forward pressure to move the piece is along the top. This tends to give a rotating force that puts more pressure on the front edge of the piece that can, if not counteracted, result in tapering at the front of the piece.

It is a great way of doing your nails at the same time. :)  :)

Thanks Ian that makes a lot of sense and explains why my pieces never get sanded flat :)

Mike

I have found it helpful to sand in one direction for 10 strokes, the reverse the piece and sand again for 10 strokes. No matter how hard I try to keep things level, inevitably I do favor one hand or side more than another. Switching periodically helps even things out. And also check with digital calipers periodically at each and on each side, to ensure that you are doing everything evenly. You can press a little harder on one end or side to even things up as you go along. Checking often means you only have to adjust a little at a time, rather than dealing with a big taper at the end.

Mark