HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

Oh, yesterday I have officially been building for 1 year 01/04/15

Well I have been cursing and feeding the carpet and hoover for about 4 hours today as I rope a canonade.Yes one, and only half done. Due to being very small I had to make the blocks to keep them in scale, well as close as I could with the confines of the rope/string... Never did I contemplate rigging canons when I purchased the kit, the box art looked fine back then but as it gets closer to completion I find myself pushing my boundaries as a first time ship builder. Anyone whom has done this, hats off to you. It's very frustrating when your work flies off the tweezers to carpet land.

post-11858-0-46749500-1428004442_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-37037200-1428004477_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-11950600-1428004488_thumb.jpg

Well I've come back and cut off the lower ropes and blocks, back to the drawing board, I just felt the fastenings to the hooks looked like a blob of wax. Unfortunately superglue make a mess of string, especially this scale. I am having to rethink this and trial and error moments loom ahead.I've looked at some builds on the net and some blocks and ropes look huge in comparison to the canon, this I'm trying to avoid.

Edited by Paul0367

Not to worry, Paul. Many times I, also, have been known to take my knife to parts of my build which displeased me.

You mentioned super-glue ... I find that the tiniest drop of PVA glue, applied with a tooth-pick, will hold lines just as well.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Also, I have seen it written - just cannot remember where - that it is perhaps better to leave off a detail if the scale is wrong.

Personally, I think the addition of your elevation screws is a brilliant touch .... don't over-shadow them. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well I've done them again, yes I did ditch the super glue, really the only time I've used it on my build, not a fan, I've just read these post after completion and yesI went the Pva route, not only does it glue but softens the line, removes the fuzz and dries clear. Captainsteve, to add the screws but leave her with fittings and no rope looked, well unfinished, so I needed to add the lines at this stage. So, so small these things.

The keen eye will notice the thick wax looking glue has gone and the blocks feed the line central where before I had them to the side.

post-11858-0-97424000-1428085993_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-94694200-1428086025_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-35728800-1428088838_thumb.jpg

Well, I've done the other side, but a different approach, based on Andys picture, I may add a few lashes of rope to make it as untidy but may leave, I gone much smaller on the blocks.

This is open for comments please, which one captures the look The best.

post-11858-0-18448700-1428100734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Oops caught the reply button in error,

Your last cannonade looks by far the best, perhaps I should learn to keep my mouth shut! Comments are so easy to roll off the tongue, but it looks like a whole boat load of work to make it a reality, pardon the pun, hey but seriously I've seen your work up close an it surpasses your photo's

by a long way it is so easy to visualise you ship as three times it's actual size due to the quality of you craft And your photography. well done bro.

Cheers Bro,

Took a lot of time to do as there so tiny but the first one I was initially happy with had to much glue and super glue is like a clump of wax on sting. So did it again and then came to the conclusion the blocks were to big and clumsy. When you leave it and go back it can look so different. Attempt three was smaller blocks.

Oh you can delete the comment you sent in error.

I'm also in favour of the smaller blocks.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Both sides done with the smaller blocks. ( I also preferred) Just all the canons on the deck below and main deck to do 16 total. Trouble with this particular kit there was no way these could have been done before the deck went on as it goes on before any planks are fitted, leaving us with no reference point or anything to fit them to. Just a very difficult access area. Looking back I,m going to tidy the coils of rope and have them evenly matched on both sides.

post-11858-0-33546900-1428179136_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-39266900-1428179165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Paul (Sir), Awesome 24 pound cannons and robes.  I am slowing working the planking and looking ahead towards cutting out the gun ports. Are the insides of these gun ports actual red color or are only certain ones red and others ??? Thank you Paul (Sir), Very respectfully, Rich

Paul (Sir), Awesome 24 pound cannons and robes. I am slowing working the planking and looking ahead towards cutting out the gun ports. Are the insides of these gun ports actual red color or are only certain ones red and others ??? Thank you Paul (Sir), Very respectfully, Rich

The inside of the gunport linings should be red ochre, as should the inboard facings of the gunport lids. The external facings of the linings should match the colour of the hull. Edited by AndyW

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

Both sides done with the smaller blocks. ( I also preferred) Just all the canons on the deck below and main deck to do 16 total. Trouble with this particular kit there was no way these could have been done before the deck went on as it goes on before any planks are fitted, leaving us with no reference point or anything to fit them to. Just a very difficult access area. Looking back I,m going to tidy the coils of rope and have them evenly matched on both sides.

The only thing I will mention as I don't know how practical it is to do is that in "reality" most of the fixing "eyes" are bulkhead mounted, ie on the ships side, but due to the construction this may be impractical. On the other hand there is no weight associated with attaching blocks so may be able to just glue rings in place.

Would need 2 just above deck lvl either side of the gunport.

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

I am intending on fixing mine to the hull internal walls also, I fabricate my own rings to keep the scale. It will be tricky but I will try, worse case cenario I can do as you said and just glue a ring.. Will be fun trying to rope them up under there.

I've changed my direction to avoid the tedious canon rigging saga that's to come.. So what next, dead eye Installation to start. Again I've deviated from the kit as it's just not accurate at all, there is no effort to put chain links or chain plates on. ( instead just a twisted brass wire) This is to be addressed, starting work the deadeyes, these smiley face looking guys should just have a loop below for the chains to attach to. I have shown pictures of how I ensured the guys sat there without jumping up. Made the loop with an arm extending and drilled the board and slid it in followed by the capping. Look I would like to take the reward for this idea but I pinched it from another site.

post-11858-0-75049200-1428512964_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-31615000-1428512990_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-56129800-1428513020_thumb.jpg

Well, I ordrered some preventer links, bingo easy life with a stock part, Sobeit from another kit manufacturer, well erm no, there too short and far too wide and a waste of money really.

But since,,, Josh has given me the news I didn't really want to hear when asking him where he sourced his, hoping he found the perfect ones. NO and yes he fabricated them from the brass strips in the kit. Only one thing for it, follow Josh's lead.

The first image shows the small preventer link I purchased on the left, how small (6 mm) and thick it is, it actually looks like the link of a push cycle chain, I've seen beautifully built models, really stunning looking models, only for it to be fitted with these, sorry if you read this and you did fit these, seriously, you can still pull them off.

PLEASE.

post-11858-0-85307700-1428618450_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-57527800-1428618546_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-34690300-1428618635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367