HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

Hi Paul . been having a similiar problem with the chain plates. Question ? The short fat ones that you do not recomend ,are they by any chance the AL ones from CMB . The reason i ask is i intended ordering them but the were out of stock for 3 weeks now .are they that much wider than the one,s you fitted ??

Curiously Boyd .

Hi Paul . been having a similiar problem with the chain plates. Question ? The short fat ones that you do not recomend ,are they by any chance the AL ones from CMB . The reason i ask is i intended ordering them but the were out of stock for 3 weeks now .are they that much wider than the one,s you fitted ??

Curiously Boyd .

modeldockyard. http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Amati_Deadeyes.html

As well as Westborne models carry a large selection of different styles and lengths as well.

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

That's the very site, I purchased the Artesania ones, ( they look the same ) there quite wide but short @ 6mm lengths which renders them useless for me, (ref AL8834).

I saw the page you are referring too, It explains to me now why some finished models have just one main solid link marrying two smaller loops at either end ( these must be purchased ones rather than scratch built ) these would work out quite expensive and would still require tweaks for your particular model on some links. The Victory though actually has one loop at the top on the dead eye and two main links, one at the top looping the dead eye and the other directly onto the hull with a preventer link or bolt only on some under less stressed.

Regards the preventer links being wider than mine, look at the image above post 364, the top image shows the purchased link on the far left hand side ( like a bicycle link ) and the difference to mine. Making your own plates maybe the best route.

Edited by Paul0367

First attempt at chain links and preventer links, time consuming but hey what isn't on these models.
An image of one of my several chain link rigs I use consisting of pins ( several scratches down my arms as I catch them as I reach over.

I'm no professional by any means but I'll post my methods

1/ Small pliers to make a tiny loop at the very end, loop it around the first pin and wrap it around the second pin and Back to the first loop.

2/ Remove from the pins, tape to a metal surface to prevent loosing the piece. (metal as you need to hammer it).

3/ Don't use snips, however small, mine are, they still cause a flair effect as the crush the wire. We need it flat. Use a blade where the loop meets the returning wire
( see Pic) and tap it with a pin hammer, hence metal surface and taping it down. It would be gone into carpet land otherwise.

4/ Tiny dot of solder, I didn't braze, it's so small and on the bend you really don't see it. You painters have no such issues. (I STOPPED BRAZING THEM VERY EARLY ON AS I GOT THE JOINT AT THE REAR AND SMALLER AS I GOT USED TO DOING THEM. ALSO THE VERY SMALL HEAT DOES CAUSE THE BRASS TO TARNISH )

5/ Bend the hull touching edge to angle the piece to the dead eyes.

6/ Use a hand pin drill, feed the tiny drill bit through your link, check all is the correct length where the chain plate will fit. Twist away.

7/ Fit your preventer link to your required angle for that particular dead eye and pin drill your lower hole.

Ok, many will say, we know, but every little helps

****** Please note the three nails on the chain links nearest the centre of the ship need cutting down so they don't show on the inside as they will be seen from the deck, trust me, mine did and I only noticed days later. This is not a problem for those fitting the links as per kit instructions as there fitted lower.******

Hope this doespost-11858-0-39433700-1428852674_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-55838300-1428852701_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-27459000-1428852735_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-42834300-1428852782_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-33773000-1428852817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Paul (Sir), Awesome chain links! Paul, when you did the planking of the bow, did you find the planks did not want to sit flat on the bulkhead number 3 (at the curve) area? If so how do you correct this so the planks are not stepping down to the keel area. Thank You, Very respectfully, Rich

I have now moved to the port side and the same centre section of dead eyes rather than do all one side first. I made a paper template to tranfer the position accurately to the opposite side, I also have done the same with the preventer links to ensure the angles match.

These chains are not as the kit intended but as the real vessel has been done. If your to do the same, order some brass wire, this method uses more and also for the inevitable waste as you make your links and are not happy with them.

OH! Buy brass, unlike me who was ensuring I got 0.5mm but didn't pay attention to what I actually ordered, yes I got copper.

post-11858-0-88738300-1429011325_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-32631800-1429011672_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-57983300-1429011695_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-97358800-1429011744_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-09288500-1429011778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Looking good, Paul ... real good.

How are your gun-port lids coming along ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Have been studying gunport pictures like mad, as I am going to paint my model, the bands are crucial but notice it will impact on the lids, as some have a sliver of yellow ochre where they fit into the hull, can see this is going to be mega time consuming above what it would be normally, advantages of painting though I can pencil line the gun decks as well as the frames....

Though have been showing my wife what a beautiful model it can be made into with a bit of time effort and patience, I think she likes the natural look, even with the copper plating.

It's strange the one I am working on, copper plated as an experiment, as I have had so much rectification to do on it, have been using as a training exercise, the bright copper looked terrible, mainly because I have added paint, that while not accurate has helped me start to fashion something I will be happy with.

Some Ronseal satin varnish, with black, green and turquoise inks added has given it a patina now that works quite well. The long and short of it is on the natural finish the bright copper works well and looks right, however on a painted model for me anyway the bright copper looks false and out of place. So if she still lets me paint lol I will patina the copper.

Quick question, over the bowsprit is fitted two pairs of Knights heads? In reality they have 18" holes in them, that big hawse pass through, been studying the books and literature I can find, do you happen to know what these hawse ropes are for? As they look like a piece of rigging that needs doing before the grating goes on over the top. All I have seen are pictures and a brief description, initially thought anchor ropes passed through, but looking at the cable run diagrams this seems not to be the case.

Starting to think that may need to take a run down on the bike for the weekend and actually visit.

Yes, I'm still going at the chain links and preventer plates. This is a job that needs many, many measurements prior to cutting and drilling. Only another 30 to install and I'm ready to move on, many whom are building this kit may notice that the kit doesn't have the links on the smallest two sets of boards at the aft of the ship , as always this is an error. These small boards have chain links as there larger neighbours do.

Please note. Looking back It looks like I blanked the questions above made by Andy but I emailed the reply.

post-11858-0-36285500-1429446155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since ive been posting my wears, I have had quite a few nights off from the link and preventer factory, I needed to, these need patience as always so the break helped.

I have used the book, the anatomy of a ship, as a reference to position the chain links and preventers as close as possible to the real vessel

post-11858-0-66511900-1430776857_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-30068200-1430776933_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-22949300-1430776975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Hi Dave

The chain links are not difficult just a bit taxing, made worse due to how many I will be hoovering up when I access behind the desks. They are small and blend into the carpet when they fall in full view but fall behind something and its start a new one time.

Please note ! I copied my plans for positioning my forward rails, they were drilled, cut, then the deadeyes were all fitted before I realised the chain links were going to cross the path of two canons. Look carefully and remember some do not come straight down and are angled, this angle can cause them to cross the canons. I'm not sure if this becomes more of an issue following the book rather than the plans where the kit places the plates, well there aint no plates but places the links.

Just keep an eye out you don't do the same

I did a canon count and lost 3, looked everywhere to no avail, even started to look at out sourcing some more, just couldn't understand how and where. look at the pictures above, yes they were in the hull at the top to see if the links got in the way.... Age i'm thinking 

I have had to go back and tackle the canons and the ropes that are used to prevent them running around the decks. I have only fitted the main ropes so far. I have also decided on the 11th hour to add the bolts on top of the canons just to get rid of the flat look of the brass plates.

Also i've made some brackets which carry the spare sail spars on the main channel.. Quickly eating up all the kit supplied brass strips with all the additions.

One last picture of the hull, emblazoned with canons, yep still doors to fabricate.

post-11858-0-33794900-1431257481_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-61814900-1431257504_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-98529400-1431257524_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-23627800-1431257585_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-70409900-1431257678_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-23320300-1431257744_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Anchor diet, oh also Constructo seam to think the victory was built in medieval times, the right anchor was made as per plans, rope supports, but the actual anchor has steel supports as ive replicated on the left version. The wood section on the anchor of the kit is huge if scaled up and needs dieting.

post-11858-0-86924400-1431796083_thumb.jpg

Paul,

That is a big improvement over the kit offering you have produced. I think the Manchester air (or possibly rain) must be conducive to excellent model ship building. :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thank you Ian, rain, thunder and ⚡ as I type this.

I have been doing a bit of mooching in my book the anatomy of a ship and came across this. No 23 in the picture, whats this, well its a bracket and ring for the main sheet block of course but glad you asked all the same, oh and before you scramble to grab the Constructo manual, forget it, well they did. this is basics but again ommited from the kit. I'm supprissed its got steering wheels, oh silly me it only got one of them too.

post-11858-0-57714000-1431970571_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-84252700-1431970679_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-25996400-1431970694_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ammendmen.

Thanks to Andys information, this ring is only a line guide and not a fitting as I initially thought. This is difficult to find any info or images on, well it was for me. Andy you managed it, cheers. Brackets were repositioned to accept the ring at an angle where its used as a guide, well to be honest as it looks in the picture above.

Progress is very slow now whilst I get to the point I am happy with the rigging for the canons, as yet i'm not, this is holding up the builds progress.

post-11858-0-61451200-1432747309_thumb.jpg

Looks right now tucked under the top wale, this is as shown in Mackays book. Allows that sheet block line to be kept clear of the gunports. Studying pics of the old girl think there are just the ring bolts present for hooking that single block to and for the sheet line. After reaving passes through the bulwark and is belayed.

Finally after receiving no more than six anchors I have the correct ones, ok,ok, I did order two and on receipt got two pairs, easily done when you don't read the description, that said there all the incorrect type.

The timber for the new ones needs scratch building and could either be purchased ( good luck matching them ) or use what you have in the kit. I chose the latter, well we don't have the timber the diameter needed so a bit of fabrication is required by laminating three strips of Sapelly together and cutting to size (dieted size)

Subject change warning :-

Can I just say until recently i've become to realize how beautiful this kits supplied timber is and to be honest why I ended up staying natural.. I say this because I have purchased extra dowel for the sail spars that will be slung along the side of the hull in the brackets I made. These are not even close to the same standard. The wood quality alone would sway me to stick with Constructo for my future build unless I can have a mooch through the box first. 

post-11858-0-96484000-1432987220_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-16413600-1432987244_thumb.jpg