HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

Well I'm sure you aware I'm not a fan of the metal stuff supplied in the kit, the canonaids are well, very metal. I would like to say look at my idea but, well, I pinched this but hey that's what these sites are for. The big job really is replacing all those canon door with scratch built wood ones.

post-11858-0-88433000-1427466587_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-73091200-1427466599_thumb.jpg

Nice indeed paul, are these the ones that are elevated and lowered by a threaded bar at the back, lol just checked the refference and the barrel is wrong.

Can see these are gonna need a bit of work, there is supposed to be an elevating screw that passes through where that hole at the back of the barrel is. like the other guns there should be a vertical ring just in front of the "elevating screw" for the ropes. the back end of the carriage is actually mounted on a truck which I believe you have simulated, one either side, but dont know how bothered you are with that.

Regardless, compared to the supplied and your all wood finish, far superior in looks.

Agree with the gunports supplied, especially as the actual ones on the whole dont look like those supplied. Question is it possible to recess the gunport linings so that the actual lids would close flush with the hull as in the pic, or do we have to compromise due to timber planking?

Edited by Airbrushpiracy

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

I'm not going mad fitting screw adjusters, bear in mind by the time these are roped up there will be little below the canon to see, as for actual canon i'm again not to fussed. The metal canon door when closed counter sink into the frames and do look very plausible but there not as flush as the real ship, that said there is no reason why the ones that are left closed cannot be sunk further. The immediate problem with the doors, you will find we have two 6mm planks which span the doors top to bottom but to be scale there would need to be three planks of 4 mm. To add insult to injury, Contructo have the metal door stamped with three planks per door. See image. Caldercraft ( I keep banging on about) put a lot off effort in to making a very acurate reproduction, this is where the tag comes from and to do so the dimensions grew to accommodate the extra details. I will one day in the future bash the later Kit. These doors open, may get away with but closed the problem shouts out, well to us it does but the average person whom don't build would never notice.

post-11858-0-21526500-1427472557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Reading about your gun-doors reminded me of the two weeks+ fun I had scratch-building my own doors from wood, as I, also, did not like the metal doors supplied by Constructo. From memory, I took strips of planking and edged-glued them together. Once dried, I cut the doors to size and then added frames around the outside to each.

It did annoy me at the time that I didn't have any straps on them, but they still looked better than the kit-supplied ones.

Now, however, should you wish, Paul, that particular problem may not be an issue for you.

Check here to see what I mean.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you for the heads up on the hinges, they are really good and very effective and transform those doors, also love the doors made with wood... DOORS? please if you still have the constructo model you built with the wooden doors could you send me a picture, I have the delema stated earlier, the hull planking is two 6mm planks ( not Scale), the doors (cast) are 3 x 4mm planks ( Scale ) or more scale is a better word. I considered putting a groove in my hull planks but this may look terrible and will make or break the model, getting them right is using this method may prove very difficult, too risky even.

... if you still have the constructo model you built with the wooden doors could you send me a picture.

As that model is docked at one of my younger brother's homes, I only have the photos which are in the MSW Gallery. There's a link in my signature below. The best two pictures of the gun-doors are the 1st one and the ninth. 

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Oh my friend not only have you made the doors, you framed the edges too, love it, that's perfect and the framing solves the problem of using two boards. Thank you, you have sent me the solution. I will be looking into the hinges too. I really need to trawl the MSW site more, love seeing her finished. ? How do you put sub headings on the site of previous builds. Well im off to nosey at your builds, thank you

I'm searching for opinions here, ok I know it's my ship and ultimately I'm the one who needs to decide but its opinions I'm in search of especially you experienced guys.

Top picture, ignore the hinges these are mearly for effect, due to some doors remaining closed and flush I'm thinking this, the frame is attached when closed, a blade score around the outer edge will highlight this more but the key word is flush when closed

The centre image is the same door, open but a painted ( swear word) frame.

The third image is the same door framed. I know it's not flush if it was ever closed but it's playing with the eye, I think.

I have my own preference but just putting it out there

post-11858-0-57647400-1427543817_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-19145900-1427543921_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-87157300-1427544121_thumb.jpg

I'd vote Image 3. I'm fairly sure that is how I made mine look.

By the way, your comment from above ...

... you framed the edges too.

... reminded me of exactly how I made those gun-doors.

As mentioned above, I took two strips of the planking wood and edge-glued these together. Then, a strip of the framing wood was edge-glued to each side of the two planks, making four strips glued side-by-side (dark-light-light-dark). I believe, to make enough doors, I had to make up three sets of these edge-glued planks. By the way, clamps were definitely used (I should've said that earlier).

Once the glue had completely set, the strips were cut into square "tiles". More strips of the framing wood was then cut into tiny pieces just slightly longer than the width of a "tile". These were then individually glued to each side of some 90+ tiles. After the glue had dried, the edges were sanded back, to give a gun-door.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Yes image three is yours (copyright) ? my preference

I am unsure what to do regards the doors that are closed as the real ships doors are very flush this means i'm looking at picture one to reproduce this, refined of course. and if I outline the frame to give the impression its not fixed it should look ok.

Cheers Josh,

It was a gamble that payed off. Where did you get your display case from, was it purchased or made by yourself

Well, it was a little bit of both.  I originally contracted with a wood worker to build it, but he was never able to finish it.  I ended up finally getting ahold of all the pieces, and finishing it up myself.  Luckily, the bottom table portion was completed before I took over the project. 

Its made from Cherry and acrylic sheet.  I'm very happy with how it turned out, but it was a really big project.  Ideally, I'd like to just have this one case that I can use to display my most recent build while I cycle out the older build.  I really only have room to display one at a time.

Anyone have any good advice on how to get rid of one of these things once you're finished? :)

Nice job on your cleats. It would be a good idea to add a pin to the bottom. That way, they will be more secure when holding rigging lines to your deck - less chance of being pulled loose later on.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Pleats all fitted, simple, well erm no, I managed to destroy seven, they just didn't sit right and it was a case of press in, if the don't sit right they won't come out, in one piece anyway. I only had an issue with three, it just took me so many frustrating attempt. Would I consider cheating and buying next time. Never!

post-11858-0-85271100-1427725614_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-13434800-1427725634_thumb.jpg

Excellent work Paul.... she's looking really nice!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice touch, Paul !!!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)