HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

I've moved onto the skylight having completed the final belay pin rack. As with my grates I have cut the deck beneath and ground away part of the centre structure to give a more natural view down rather than a blue piece of card behind the glazing.Just a few light wood uprights followed by remaining glazing and it's ready to instal on the poop deck.

post-11858-0-80229300-1427131771_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-51180400-1427131820_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-02599000-1427131843_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-71850700-1427131872_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-39300600-1427131905_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-12309800-1427131934_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

This is an amazing build! I completed the Constructo kit myself a couple years back. I recently posted some finished photos on my new build log at wappenvonhamburg.wordpress.com.

Looking over your photos is inspiring. I really like the natural wood tones combined with brass accents that this particular kit provides. You are doing an amazing job, keep up the excellent work!

hello Josh

Well I feel I've met you already many times, as your model has probably had more hit from me than any other modeller on the Web. There is very little Constructo Victorys on MSW especially when I started last April so I went in search for others and found yours, beautifully built and you inspired my natural wood look. I think your Web page is great and would like to have made my own but not something I've ever ventured in. Really though it's great reference material for all whom venture into this hobby.

Edited by Paul0367

Last grates of this build completed, just put in position awaiting the deck cutting to allow a natural look, especially where the light will cascade onto the deck below. My canons are not completed yet despite sneaking into several pictures, some brass fittings to instal and also toying with the idea of fastening them down as they are on the real vessel but scale blocks are an issue here and looks like I may be making my own tiny ones to achieve this.

post-11858-0-08948800-1427234991_thumb.jpg

You are doing a fine job, there.

Crisp and clean work, as always, Paul.

I'm curious to know if you were considering using any of the metal-blackening agents on your cannons ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Due to my kit staying natural and all my fittings being brass including the to be added railings I'm sticking with the brass look, I have only added colour where my hand was forced by the kit using cast metal parts in the exception of the flag insignia on the srern which required a splash of colour.

Well I've cut more holes in my forecastle in an attempt to gain the natural effect, really though having done this on the upper deck deck I should have learnt to do it before fitting an array of obstacles. Looking at reference material there is no grill on the quarter deck surrounding the main mast base but there are two framed cut outs, well they will be fun to replicate I'm sure

post-11858-0-49305600-1427295674_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-86051000-1427295709_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-19731100-1427295752_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-52782600-1427295790_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-76473300-1427295811_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-24057600-1427296042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Hi Paul,

This is an amazing build! I completed the Constructo kit myself a couple years back. I recently posted some finished photos on my new build log at wappenvonhamburg.wordpress.com.

Looking over your photos is inspiring. I really like the natural wood tones combined with brass accents that this particular kit provides. You are doing an amazing job, keep up the excellent work!

I have your build blog bookmarked as well Josh, very nice job you made of it as well.

Strength to strength Paul, looking superb.

On an aside in collecting bits, picked up two of the 16mm wheels very nicely made, going to be fun putting them together. Picked up the 1/72 Caldercraft stern casting, will adapt this to fit, with some judicious pruning :), but it is a nice piece of casting.

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

Send me your email address, i can send you pictures. don't trawl the net for this, I did and there is very little out there. To be honest I thought I did put images on but just had a look through and I didn't. 

Castings, you've got to send pictures of them, I can quite easily replace mine at this stage, the wheels, don't go to mad there almost obscured when fitted

Edited by Paul0367

It is beautiful, I'll try and get a good pic and rough dimensions before my wife hides them away completely. Thinking I may have to file it down a bit all depends on the space.

Will try and get a pic up tomorrow for you.

Re the wheels, I was ordering extras for the build, but notice the kit only seems to contain two anchors, with the two sheet anchors missing, so will need to order them.

It's terrible, will be July before I am aloud to start :). Still crack on with the Racehorce.

post-18586-0-23084100-1427356629_thumb.jpg

Here you go Paul, seem to have issues when taken with the iPad lol, it attaches the right way up then displays upside down, then seems to revert to the correct way in the light box viewer some times.

The cast piece is extremely maleable, would be interested to see what the actual size difference is, as on the actual ship the bottom of the POW overhangs the decorative trim as well.

Well I don't want to disappoint you but that at 90 mm is huge, the brass etched one is 45mm the gap between the davits is only 75 mm. No wonder the Caldercraft vessel is so detailed, it's a big girl in comparison. To be honest I never realised how much bigger, explains the price tag Really.

Well I don't want to disappoint you but that at 90 mm is huge, the brass etched one is 45mm the gap between the davits is only 75 mm. No wonder the Caldercraft vessel is so detailed, it's a big girl in comparison. To be honest I never realised how much bigger, explains the price tag Really.

Lol thought it might be a bit bigger but that is a heck off a difference, never mind I will think of something for it.

Already have an idea, along the lines of a little name plaque for the model an can crown it with the casting, think it would look pretty sweet, so nothing lost :) just need to make the etched one more appealing, nearly went for the 1/98 Mantau casting set, juggled the £8 compared to £55...

Hmm wonder if an email to Corwall models would they be able to give the size of the Mantau stern casting.

Make the wife breakfast in bed, do some serious creeping and drop in, dear I want a Caldercraft Victory about £800, all the fittings and quality stuff will all arrive in the box. Bingo

Oh and good luck with that one. remember which one i'm building, it not guaranteed to work.

Failing the above, Cornwall Model boats should give you the information, that said there are plenty of them being built on MSW, ask the guys 

Edited by Paul0367

Was heading the Caldercraft route, but honestly didn't have a place I could display and enjoy the model, so had to opt for a smaller version.

As you have shown a bit of time and patience even kit bashing, it has the makings of a fine model, so compromises had to be made.

Paul (Sir), I cannot believe the detail in your ship. What did you make the canon balls out of? I just hope my ship looks even close yours when I get done.

Thank you for all the advice and pictures, very much helpful. Very respectfully, Rich

Thanks Rich, Sir, I like that. My Cannon balls are fishing lead shot No8 00.6g ok they have a slit in for attaching to the line but I just pinch them closed, the balls are not perfectly smooth, like real canon balls and I just left them there natural colour.

Airbrush, regards the Caldercraft kit, personally because this is my first ever venture into ship building I just didn't want to spend so much on a kit, honestly I didn't know if I could build one. So many part built models on ebay where they either loose interest or likely struggle to build.

Very nice Paul.

I know what you mean, think I started the Racehorse must be 9 or 10 years ago, lack of understanding, the kit and the instructions lol, which was at the time supposedly a good beginners kit. I lost heart with it put most back in the box, same time I lost heart with SIBs, moved into airbrushing and Pinstriping.

A chance conversation with a work colleague made me look at the model again. So much so I reckon I can finish her to a nice model, it will never be perfect, or historically accurate but I should be pleased lol.

Have had to do so much to get it where it is now.. Might even start a partial build log from here on in.

I'm new to this ship stuff, sorry, please explain rig my lines ? I know the dead eyes are the rat line carriers and masts are, well mast. Are you referring to standing rigging.also is there an advantage to leaving them long before the running rigging is fitted. I haven't studied the rigging side in depth yet. I have read that you need to start from the inside and work  your way out, for the obvious reasons of access. 

Paul (Sir), When you view the HMS Victory and all her lines on the main deck area you see them stacked up (made up) to various block and tackle; and if not careful can look very ugly. I have seen two ways of rigging a mast ship. One method is the one you mentioned inside and work your way out. I have also seen that the lines are all made to their deck block and tackle; then ran upwards to the positions on the mast; these lines are made up prior to deadeyes, ratlines and masts; so you have clear access to the main deck area. I am going to try this method and see how it goes. I am no expert as this is only my second ship. USS CONSTITUTION was my first.

Do you have a website or information on the various paint colors for HMS VICTORY?

Thank You, Very respectfully,

Rich

Hello Rich,

If you scroll down the list you will find the Victory Paint Set I have purchased.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/admiralty_paint_sets.html#aAPS9014W

These particular paints have been designed and colour matched for period ships.

If you type in HMS Victory you should get the official site, tried posting the link but lost my post 3 times lol.

One thing to watch for is not to paint red ochre on the outside of the gunport linings, inner faces only and the back of the gunport lids.

post-18586-0-15368900-1427443902_thumb.jpg