Help bending wood for cap rail.

Paul0367

Has any one tried to bend Manzonia timber 6mm x 2mm, I need to bend it quite sharp for capping my bulwarks, Constructo Victory. Hot water doesn't work as its very dense, it is listed on the web as steam bendable. Has anyone achieved this without it splintering

Welcome to the Constructo can't-bend-the-wood club. Making that curve might better be done by cutting it out or bending smaller pieces and fabricating the bend to size. I did that with my Constructo USS Constitution.

I agree with Chuck and John. Get a wider sheet from the local hobby or craft shop and cut out the proper shape. It will look better and there will be less frustration.

Russ

Paul, I am another member of the Constructo "cant bend the color miss-matched wood." The others are right, wider planks and cut them out. Hobby Mill or the Lumber yard can help you out with some wider planks if you want Manzonia, otherwise Russes suggestion of the hobby store.

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Greetings Paul,

Glad to see you made it work. The first two kits I built were by Constructo. I found nothing wrong with them that a little patience and ingenuity couldn't cure. Constructo kits seem to be less expensive than others and, since you get what you pay for, the wood quality may not be up to the quality of higher priced kits. However, this should not be an excuse for a model that is not well done. Based on your photos it looks like you are doing a good job with the wood supplied.

wq3296