I have used a spokeshave for a lot of curved work, I would suggest that a small block plane would be an easier tool for the shaping of the spars for the general rounding or for creating an octagonal cross section, with the exception of creating an octagonal or flat that is scalloped from the round section of the spar, in which case I would use the round spokeshave not the flat one.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Using a spokeshave takes practice and it has to be sharp.  I am not that good with them so I use my finger plane.  However, for larger objects once you learn how to use one you may never look back.

David B

What is a spokeshave? May you post a photo, please?

EDIT: NVM... found it.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I tried to use one to taper masts too but found it too difficult to (1) hold the stock and (2) stay even.  I use it sometimes for trimming frames and things like that but I taper masts and spars with an electric drill.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used spokeshaves for shaping guitar necks.  I love working with them.  Years ago I bought a couple of Record spokeshaves and hated them.  When I got into making guitar necks, I bit the bullet and bought a set of L-N Boggs spokeshaves and never looked back.

thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

Flat & curved soles

I can achieve a pretty straight cut with the spokeshave but for the final shaping I have several sanding blocks I made out of MDF to which I attach PSA sandpaper.  These sanding blocks from 3" to 18" long.  It takes time to get the final shape right and I use templates to check at different locations on the back of the neck as I do the shaping.

When it comes to using spokeshaves on a mast for a model boat, I do not see it as the best tool.  As Michael mentioned, a small block plane would work better.  The problem with using a spokeshave on something as small as a model mast comes in the flexibility of the wood.  You would need a rigid backer to keep it straight and ensure even shavings.  When I make guitar necks, flex is not a problem.

I plan on creating a mast with an oval shape.  I will start with a small block plane and finish with long sanding blocks. I will make templates to check the shape as I work.  There may be an easier way, short of CNC, but I don't know what that would be.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

To provide a rigid backing for using a plane make a fixture with a 45⁰ slot and square it up.  Then plane the edges to get 8 sides then round it up with sandpaper.  Using a drill for doing everything may seem faster but you may impart a twist in the yard that will come back to haunt you down the road.

David B

Like any hand tool, practice makes the master.  I do not claim to be a master even though some colleagues and my admiral think so.

As David B stated above, you need a backer board, often with slots in it, either V shaped or square from a table saw cut.  Leave the spar long so you can hold it without damaging the part.  Then use a small hand plane and small spoke shaves to get the round shape.  Finish with sanding devices.  

I do use an electric drill and stationary belt sander sometimes but be careful not to build up any heat or your wood will bend out of shape.  

My wood preferences are maple, Costello box, pear and cherry.  Basswood is good but is soft and will easily dent and scratch. 

Duff