Halve Maen by hlipplaa - 1/30 - POB - ~1608 - Dutch East India Company

Hey, Hjalmar! Welcome and great ship you´r building. Nice scale to work with!

On this photo of the Half Moon replica ship from america you can see the block with lines running through the deck. The hole is covered by a piece of sail cloth. The lines are attached below the deck to a "knecht". So I will make it like that.

I improvised with the "knecht" behind the main mast and made one directly behind the mizzen mast. It may need some adjustment. My drawings dont show them, but i had to make them else i cannot rig the ship like i want to. Also on the replica ship from america its also located in a similar position. But, there is also a pin rail or something behind the mast.

I believe its called jeer, the combination of tackles lowering or raising the lower yards. The heavy column with sheaves which holds the weight is called "knecht".

If you use google translate knecht translates to english as: slave

google translate is pretty useless for translating nautical terms i found out, :P .

post-5214-0-98795400-1409676347_thumb.jpg

post-5214-0-99828600-1409676348_thumb.jpg

post-5214-0-87661400-1409676349_thumb.jpg

post-5214-0-68965000-1409676350_thumb.jpg

Halve maen 1608 (rigging and improvements to be finished)

Enterprise 1799 Building currently

Knightheads - vertical timbers on either side of the stem that add strength to the bowsprit and extra backing to the planks just abaft the stem

i got this from a nice webstite with some nautical terms http://www.photographers1.com/Sailing/NauticalTerms&Nomenclature.html#S

So they are the same type of object but the knightheads are located at the bow of the ship.

But anyway thanks for the info because i didnt know about the helmet. And maybe the ones near the mast are called knightheads too for all i know.

Edited by hlipplaa

Halve maen 1608 (rigging and improvements to be finished)

Enterprise 1799 Building currently

Lost in translation.......

I checked my literature.

It's called a knight.

The rope from the yard is lead over the mastcap, down along the mast, through a hallaird-block, up again over the mastcap to the yard.

The rope trough the knight and the halliardblock is names halliard (surprise, surprise....)

The method of hoisting a yard using jeers and jeer blocks is english, and much, much later tahn halve maen.

Jan

in the Billing's kit,  the posts have a  'fife' board on them.   to me...they kind of remind me of a sampson post

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

shrouds are looking very nice  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 years later...
On 9/3/2014 at 4:44 AM, amateur said:

In both languages it is named after the type of head which was carved on top. In england they used to carve figure with an helmet, in the netherlands they used a type of servant (knecht)

Jan

It goes even further than that. The words Knecht and knight have the same origin, and in England before the Norman Conquest of 1066 a cniht was a servant or henchman. Mounted warriors weren't part of the Anglo-Saxon environment, and for this new idea (probably because these mounted warriors owed service to a Norman lord) they used the word for servant and called them knights. In such countries as Germany and Holland, the word kept its original meaning. 

As far as I know, English is the only European language that doesn't use a word connected with horses to describe a mounted warrior. Everyone else calls them something that means horseman - caballero, chevalier, ritter, ridder . . .

Steven

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...