Bermuda Sloop by DSiemens - FINISHED - BOTTLE - aka building in super mini scale

Daniel this model is seriously small, I think I would be ready for a straightjacket by now. You are doing a great job BTW.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Mark a Michael.  

Parbick I use a cutting wheel on a dremel at a low setting to cut the ship off.  It's fast even on low setting and it's nice and precise.  

Once the standing rigging is in place I work on the running rigging.  I don't go crazy on this but I like to add the rigging on the boom and gaff.  For the boom I tie an over hand knot around the boom and glue it on either side of the ship like I did with the back stays.  I'm not sure you can see it in this photo but here is is.  

20141009_232523.jpg

Here's a better picture of another one I did.  You can see all of the running rigging I include.  

20140704_001747.jpg

The lasr part as far the ship goes is the sails.  I just trace them the best I can and compare them to the ship and trim them.  Once thier ready I glue them in place.  The main sail I just glue to the gaff so I can wrap it around the ship when going in/  I make sure to keep the wind direction in mind so all the sail look uniform.  Doesn't make sense to have the sails leaning i multiple directions.

20141009_234238.jpg

20141009_234247.jpg

I actually had to finish this ship fast to include it in a show for the Rocky Mountain Shipwrights.  I didn't include all the running rigging this time.  

For the sea I put just a little bit of clay in the bottle and flatten it out.  I held it over a hot burner for a few seconds to make melt the bottom.  This just makes sure the clay sticks to the bottle.  I give it a few minutes to dry and then it's ready to go.

I cut the ship off with a dremel and carefully fold the mast back being sure the main sail curls around the ship and doesn't crinkle.  Once in the bristles pop the mast back up.  I put a little white glue on a tooth pick and get it between the ship and the sea to glue it down.  I then use a small piece of wire to glue the forward stays down.    

20141010_000649.jpg

20141010_000625.jpg

Well done. Thanks for showing us how.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• The title was changed to Bermuda Sloop by DSiemens - FINISHED - BOTTLE - aka building in super mini scale