Willie L Bennet by mhaas2 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/32 scale small boat

They look good. Nice work. I have sewn a few boltropes and it is not that bad to do it. Yours look very good.

Russ

I have one of these tucked away for when I retire, but you sure have done a great job on a working boat of the Chesapeake.

I really like what you did w/dredges, these can and are not that easy to make, but you made it look easy.

Great job.
Rick B)

Wherever I am at...........there I am

KARTONIST in the making.......... B)

Thanks, Rick. I still need to install the netting on the dredges. The plans show a whole lot of small rings and figure-8 spacers between the dredge frame and the netting. Seven or eight rows of the on the bottom. Which makes sense as those would not break as easily as the net would tear, but I have not been able to make, or get, rings small enough. Guess I will just sew on the netting.

Mike

Edited by mhaas2

Have you considered sewing the hoops onto the mainsail first, before mounting the sail to the mast? That would be much easier.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

The sails look very good. Nice work on the panel seams.

Russ

Fantastic job looks like the real thing. Your dredge is nice. It would also be a candidate for resistance soldering. I wait patiently for the finished vessel to be launched. I have seen picture of the bay and your model would fit in with the other skip jacks in the photo. Hopefully not B/W.

David B

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Had to stop for the Holidays, between cooking a few feasts and making hand made pens for 20, I have had no time for the Willie. But, I was able to get back to it and finish it. The lighting system is really cool. Some of the pics are a little shaky, but you can still see.

Forward cabin lighting
post-5405-0-61300000-1420723997_thumb.jpg

post-5405-0-55410500-1420724015_thumb.jpg

After cabin lighting and details including fire buring in the stove!

post-5405-0-52105700-1420724103_thumb.jpg

post-5405-0-07213000-1420724126_thumb.jpg

post-5405-0-60454500-1420724143_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Russ. Yours is looking great! Loved that idea of the scale hardware. This boat had the sane setup. I could have used that idea about 3 months ago. Oh well. there is always the next one. I am sticking in a different model before I start the Olympia.

post-5405-0-71415400-1420744043_thumb.jpg

1971 Mallard Indy Roadster. The last roadster that attempted to qualify at the Indy 500. Driven by Jim Hurtabise.

This a new experience, working with resin. Hopefully it will look like this when done.

post-5405-0-42820400-1420744394.jpg

Congrats on the beautiful model !    & good luck with the resin - will be a nice-looking car.

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

• 1 year later...

I knew I saw a Gatsby in one of your pics!  I turn pens too.  Just starting on the Willie L Bennett and just want to thank you for this log.  Pictures are indeed worth thousands of words, you have made several issues clear to me already.  Great job, hope mine turns out even a fraction as nice.