Wasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Corel - scale 1:75 (Vasa)

Mark,

Looking good ! 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Frank. I am going to use the last deadeyes in the channels for the fore & main backstays. It was mentioned in the Vasa forum that this is most likely correct. Really like your sail work but I don`t think I will be adding them to mine.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Thanks Henry. The rigging is a little hard to see with the light background. Just shows what I know about photography :huh: . Haven`t figured out how to keep the stays from bowing where lines or blocks are attached - if the stays were any tighter they would pull the masts way out of alignment :o .

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - a bit of progress. First I pre-rigged the yards as much as possible.

post-4600-0-76709900-1441851050_thumb.jpg

Then I attached the yards to the masts & got all the lifts & halyards rigged. May not be 100% correct but it should be close. Still a bit more to do such as braces,rope coils,anchors,& a few other misc.items. I went by Corel`s measurements for the masts & yards but the yards seem a little on the short side :huh: .Oh well - I`m not going to re-do them at this point.

post-4600-0-89132200-1441851857_thumb.jpg

/Mark

post-4600-0-10292400-1441852069_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-02084500-1441852073_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much Joe. Also thanks to everyone looking in & all the likes. Rigging is not my favorite thing to do - takes me forever it seems like. Also without accurate plans I am guessing at some of the lines & belaying points by looking at much better models than mine :).

Mark

by looking at much better models than mine :).

Mark

Mark,

That must be very hard to find (;-)  Your build is "way up there"   cheers !

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Been making rope coils - thought I would take a break from that & work on the anchors. First I filed a groove around the stock so it would look like 2 pieces. Then I drilled some small holes & glued in some toothpicks,then I sanded them off smooth to simulate treenails. Then I added some small black nails to simulate bolts & finished with some satin poly. The treenails can barely be seen but that is the effect I wanted.

post-4600-0-42375200-1441935503_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-32377300-1441935520_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

• 3 weeks later...

Finished.Finally. Well, I finished up by rigging the anchors & finishing the running rigging.Not sure about some of the belaying points but I think it passes the galloping horse test :D. Sorry I was not a little more descriptive of some of the work but sometimes I get going on something & forget to take pictures.A lot of modifications were made but I think the end result was worth the effort. I would like to thank everyone for looking in & posting all the generous comments & hitting the like button. I will try to put a few more pics in the gallery. Now for the hard part - trying to decide what to build next :cheers: .

post-4600-0-21518400-1443566530_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-72872000-1443566627_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-10935800-1443566662_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-42923400-1443566687_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Keith - thank you very much. As far as what`s next,I haven`t decide yet but am leaning toward the Royal Wm. or Nuestra Senora from Occre. I have several others in my stash including Constructo`s Prince & the Model Shipways Vanguard. Maybe I`ll try working on 2 at once :o.

Brian - thanks very much.It was a a long haul but worth the time.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Mark,

Congratulations! Well done. Your ship and rigging look fantastic!

Hopefully your photos will stay around on this log for a while in order to help assist us other Vasa model builders!

If you don't mind my asking, did you make those good looking flags? Or were you able to find them somewhere?

Thanks and good luck on your next build decisions.

Frank

Thanks Frank - yours & all the other Vasa builders were my inspiration to improve many of the aspects of this kit. As far as the flags go - they are the flags that came in the kit. I simply pinned them down in a ruffled position & wetted them with water. After drying they pretty well held their shape. I don`t know if they are the correct flags for the period but they are good enough for me :).

/Mark

• 4 weeks later...