convertion fraction to mm

I can't remember ware I saw it so am asking. What is the formula to go from fractions to mm. I'm working on the BLUENOSE

by M.S. and they are using fraction, I am having trouble measuring the little fraction (38's x 64th). this is what I means and changed to mm (4mm x 27mm ). can some one please help me. They didn't teach millimeters when I was in school. 

Maybe this can help.

http://www.advantagefabricatedmetals.com/conversionchart.html

Another possiblity.  Don't know where you live, but I bought a digital micrometer at Harbor Freight for $8.00 that reads out in fraction, decimal, and mm.

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Hi All

Some people might be interested in an app for iPhone called ShopCalc which appears to be designed for carpenters, among other things it converts between fractional inches, decimal inches and metric for length, area & volume as well as basic calculator functions + - / x in whatever units you're working with or converting to.

Perhaps someone familiar with Anroid can check if there's something similar available for that environment.

Mark

Mark D

I wish the USA would join the rest of the world and go decimal.

Nice wish, but if it will come true?

Is Australia decimal?

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Nice wish, but if it will come true?

Is Australia decimal?

Australia uses metric. AFAIK the only country in the world to use Imperial units is the USA and maybe some US territories and colonies - e.g. Liberia, Guam, Marshall Islands (but i'm not even sure about those).

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Being a surveyor I have used decimal feet for years and I use decimal feet when fabricating in the shop. I am forced to switch to decimal inches for small stuff because I haven't found any micrometers and such in decimal feet. Anyway decimals in a base 10 system work well and switching to metric which uses different names for decimal parts of a meter is the same. Besides needing two sets of wrenches to work on my pickup is a pain, think it was around 1975 when we were  to switch to the metric system in this country, we were putting decimal feet as we always did after the days of chains and also meters on our plats without problem but we are a nation lacking in the ability to change to things that make sense and do well changing to things that don't.

jud.

Edited by jud

My childhood in England was feet and inches. Then changing to metric as an adult. I then move to the US and am back to imperial. I find I work in fractional imperial and decimal metric - very confusing. I'm taking 1/4" x 1/16" strip and measuring a millimeter length.

BTW, there is a scale calculator app available for Android called Scale Calc.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

To convert:  Dimension in inches X 25.4 = mm

Dimension in mm X .03937 = inches

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

It is quite confusing, and once learned one system, you never get really used to the other system. 

Then there is the other "problem" that it almost never is a round number.  F.i. 1/16" is 1,5875 mm - which is not common when you want to buy wood f.i.  

Here you take 1,5 or 2 mm.... :)

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available