Mare Nostrum by dragzz - Artesania Latina - scale 1/35 - SMALL - abandoned

hello sjors and welcome to my dry dock   thank u for your kind words and yes it looks like iam on my way now comes the planking thats dont like me lol  this wear i go slow  there will be update real soon

ok here in the pic i have one of the planks on its 0.3 from the frames that what thay say to do it at so here it is .so far so good

post-2052-0-31808100-1412742912_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-93370800-1412742924_thumb.jpg

Hi Draggz,

I see that you nail the planks.......

I hope you glue them also ?

You have to remove those nails otherwise it's never gonna be a smooth hull.

At the first picture, it looks if you have force the plank into place.....

Let him find his own way.

For the rest no comment  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Ahoy Dragzz :D

I like everything I see except maybe the poop.

I know you have lots of room with the first layer of planking but will you be able to cover that up. Is the poop deck at the right angle. It looks like it has shifted and is now on the same plane as the keel

Is the plank is pulling it down ???

If it is you might be able to just cut the plank to correct the poop, you would just have a small gap from the cut but that would be easy to fill. You may or may not need a clamp, not sure.  

Hopefully someone else can check my thinking and post a comment

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hey, actually you can nail those planks, because this is a double planked boat. What i liked about this kit, was there is many mistakes you can do in the beginning, and they won't be visible in the end result because there is always something that covers the mistake-areas. That's why this is a great kit for a beginners.

I agree about the poop deck side angles. They should be lower, now there is a gaps between the bulkhead.

Keep your build going. :)

Edited by M. Pajulahti

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

here is a pic of  what thay say to do 

post-2052-0-40922600-1412803111_thumb.jpg

post-2052-0-72905600-1412803305_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

i can try to strip off the wood on the back deck and try to re do it . not to sure how thats going to come off that back deck dont look good let me what u all think i should do to that to fix it thank u

ok here a pic i got the back deck off with no damg  iam just going to have to redo it  really its the best way to do it right so here is a pic at the back iam going to cut off the block and go to the hobby store and get a balsa block to re do it right ples let me know what u all think . i think its the right thing to do 

post-2052-0-58644900-1412811188_thumb.jpg

post-2052-0-95788500-1412811791_thumb.jpg

its all came off just fine as u can see in the pic

post-2052-0-48978100-1412811801_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

Ahoy Dragzz 

Why does the whole block need to go. Is it that bad 

I would think you could just put a little wood on the top of that filler and then sand it to get the correct angle for the deck.

Maybe I am not seeing something 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

hello jpett yes it was that but its all good i dont mind redoing what needs to be done the right way u will see it .it will look much better when done

jeeze Dragzz.......sorry to see your doing all this.    it appeared to me that the aft deck platform lifted on you in the front.  all you would have had to do is correct the angle of the platform by shimming it in the rear,   or remove material in the front.   the aft platform should flow along with the main deck.   I also notice that there are bulwark panels.........with this in mind,  I usually run the first plank just below the main deck line,  so when the panels are installed,  the mating between the planking and the panels cannot be seen on the inside.  of course,  your taking into account if there are bulwark posts,  and the height of the panels,   because that will change where the first plank will lay as well.

I see that there is a stern panel......if it is taller in height than the bulwark panels,  it will make up for the gap left left by the first plank,  in relation for how it will lay at the stern.  the plank line being straight all the way to the stern,  will dictate how the rest of the hull planking will run........even with tapering.  taking into account for all of this,  will also determine,  whether or not you'll even need to double plank the hull.   the best way out of this problem would be to correct the aft deck platform,  so it flows with the main deck line,  then add the bulwark panels.   keeping the panel lines flush all the way back,  will set up the plank line,  and make it easier for you.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hello popeye and thank for all your infor the last bulkhead was glued wrong so i wanted to get that set the right way that is y iam redoing the back deck i felt it would better to do that . it will take about a day to do the fix then it will be all better

hello i now have the the parts to do the fix i did not get basa for the wood i got thin and thick ply for the fix just it be better that what i was befor so here is a pic of what i got for wood fix 

post-2052-0-66740200-1412907712_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-20810700-1412907722_thumb.jpg

in the post i said i was going to use that wood when iam not going to do that going to use what i cut offf

Edited by dragzz

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

here we are again i have done some more planking so far for my exp in the planking stage its getting better with time. at front of the boat still need work to be done . i have done some sanding to it  so far all came out really well i think here are some pic of the build let me know. what u all think if u see something that i have done wrong ples let me know thank u

post-2052-0-67378200-1417245222_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-65976300-1417245228_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-30730000-1417245234_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-86140200-1417245240_thumb.jpg

good to see your still working on this one........looks pretty good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

sjors  thanks the frist planks i put on at the start i took them all and did a redo on it thanks for the info on the planking sjors 

m pajulahti  thank u 

popeye  yes i took a bit of break from it then came back to it with a fresh mind and redid the planking 

here a bit of an update  i have add the bulwarks in place now and did some sanding on them there looking good just a bit more still to put the back on next here some pic of what i got done

post-2052-0-13580300-1417585713_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-60565200-1417585720_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-83887600-1417585725_thumb.jpg

looking real good Dragzz  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

tys popeye iam going to working on it till its done got the back on it now got to wait till its dry going to work on some more of 

i have an update its not good news  the door was left open to the shop and the little pup thot the boat was a hotdog  so ya here some pic of the aftermath of the hotdog   this is so bad 

post-2052-0-98470800-1417679606_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-93864200-1417679612_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-84680200-1417679619_thumb.jpg

rest in peace  mare nostrum  so sad all that work 

I'm sorry to see this Draggz.......

Do you now have puppy for Christmas dinner ????

Just joking my friend !

A good lesson for you, CLOSE the door when you are leaving !!!!!!!!!

I have write Santa a letter that you really want to have the Mare Nostrum kit as a present.......

When you gonna build her again, you have more skills with that .

So stay away for a hour of two out of the hobby room and continue with the other builds !!!!!!

Sjors

when I had the youngsters,  I set up a 'berthing shelf'.......up high.   when I was finished working on my build,  I would clean up the table and put it up there.   of course,  I was building them on the dinning room table at the time  ;)   times have changed.......kids are grown,  and I have my own tables........I am relaxed ;)   looks like slim pick'ins for any salvage operation..........sad to say,  but it looks like a Viking funeral is in order.   very sorry to see it my friend  :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's a bit of a bummer.  One of the joy's of having a puppy I suppose.  On the other hand, that puppy should grow into a wonderful companion that will last for (hopefully) many years past the point where you'll have replaced this unfortunate disaster and gone on to build many other ships.

Best of luck with the next build, whether it's a restart of this one, or something else.  Also good luck with the puppy training.  :)

taz jr thot it was a hotdog but what happen  was girlfriend left the door open when she was cleaning she feels really bad about it now as i told its all ok it just a model i can redo it .

sjors puppy dinner lol thats a good one hes good dog really is but not when chews all the stuff in the house lol we are working on him not to do that he just that little black lap

popeye there will be a new build of the wasa starting real in the next day or two 

gunther little tazjr will grow up great dog