HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Good morning everyone...The latest from the dry dock...I have completed the bottom half of the hull and hope to begin moving the planking upward today.  I still am enjoying the ease in which one can handle this small ship.  My thoughts refer to the building of the HMS Victory constantly because of the contrast in the size of the two models.  The Victory sat in its cradle almost the entire time of its construction.  Its size discouraged moving and handling it too much and so eventually it sat on a turntable allowing me to turn it for access to both sides.  On the other hand it's hard to get used to the light weight and small size of Half Moon and at any whimsy one can pick it up and actually keep it in one's lap to accomplish certain phases of the build.  I actually had it in my lap as I planked parts of the hull.  Now this can be dangerous if  one is not careful with some of the knife strokes when trimming the ends of the wooden strips.

Here are some additional photos depicting the stage of construction I am now at.  Have a great day everyone.... and my best,

Jerry

post-545-0-50559300-1420809880_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68339300-1420809890_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70635500-1420809907_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-71793000-1420809922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well you are once again buzzing along, and it's looking good. I have got to agree the small size of the ship does make it awkward at times, and I have just finished planking the deck at the stern of the ship, and had the ship on my knee at times, as I did when planking the hull. Yep the victory was much easier to work on because of it very large size, and most of the time it was in the cradle. The downside of of this was having to stand a lot in various aspects of the build, which was no good for my back. I have had my first disaster during the build, but I am an expert at the repair work in the area involved. I dropped the ship onto the pointy end, which is a blunt end at the minute and broke it. It's the area were the figurehead fits. You must agree I was very lucky that's were it landed!!!! Keep enjoying your planking. DAVID

You seem to be in full flow again Jerry - well done.

I'm remember the ease I had with working on the Scottish Maid compared with the Victory.

Parts arrived from CMB so I can get back in the shipyard tonight, except they did send me a wrong part which is not essential at the moment.

I hope to be able to post some new pictures over the weekend.

Glenn (UK)

Hello David,  Many thanks for dropping in to my log. I'm happy to hear about your progress and it seems like you're headed to a successful finish.  I;m convinced you are indeed an expert in making repairs as I remember the history of your Victory build.  But I think I'm right behind you as I certainly experienced a few disasters with Victory too.  In this case  (Half Moon),  I also have had an episode already; I dropped the Half Moon on its nose also and since it's shaped like an American football, it actually bounced and showed no signs of damage.  I was real lucky this time.  It'll be interesting to see how the  upper planking goes...I'm soaking walnut strips as I write this in preparation.  Hope you are feeling well these days and as always, my best to you,

Jerry

P.S.  Here's a lnk of a Half Moon model whose finish I would love to emulate.

http://www.shipsofscale.com/gallery/adallolio/halfmoon/index.html

post-545-0-14477200-1420814833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hey Glenn...So good to know that you have the parts you need and can get back to work.  I look forward to your new postings so I can enjoy your progress along with you.  Have a great evening,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Excellent progress on your build, it looks awesome. I haven't decided which of my builds I'll do next, but I'm leaning towards this one.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hi Jerry,

You really moving along, your planking looks in the pics, you should have no problem at all leaving it a natural finish.

J

Good morning, Matt..

Many thanks for your visit to my log and thanks you also for your nice words.  This build has its challenges but it also has its advantages.  The challenges so far to me have been the variety of wood used in the planking along with the severe bending at the bow.  The main advantage has been the ease of handling the model because of its small size.  i'm really enjoying this one.  Have a great weekend and see me again.

Best,

Jerry

Good morning, J.

THank you for your much appreciated comments.  I am thinking about a natural finish but possibly with a light stain.  I really haven't made up my mind yet.  It all depends how the upper hull turns out.  Hope you have a very good weekend. 

Best,

Jerry

Hello Dimitris...Thanks for saying hello.  So, how are things in Athens.  I really miss being in Greece; you have a beautiful country and I have had some real good times there.  Some day I must tell you about a time in Santorini.  I'll never forget it as long as I live.  Take good care and I appreciate your complimentary words.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everybody..

Some more progress today.  I'm really enjoying this build as I find it very interesting so far.  The way the 2nd planking is applied is so different from any other ship I have built.  I also like the variation in size and color that the next strips will bring to the model.  In the meantime here a a few pictures showing where I am right now.  As conservative and careful as I have been I was still missing one 2x2mm walnut strip so I substitutes a 2x3mm one in its place.  It's the middle gunwale at the aft section of the upper hull.  I hope nobody knows or cares about the difference.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-03118800-1420912819_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10931300-1420912827_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19362600-1420912837_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04104300-1420912845_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49849500-1420912852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello again Jerry, here in Athens we are waiting for the election at the middle of January, it's ok though . Ah! Santorini  is most beautiful Island of the cyclades complex. I'm glad that you visited Greece anyway. It is a beautiful country.Thank you for your nice words. (Sorry for my English . I need more practice.. lol)

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Jerry,

No worries, I'm sure had ypu not mentioned it no one would notice, what you've done looks super

Good morning, Dimitris...Just keep communicating with me and you'll get plenty of English practiice.  I hope you arehaving a great weekend, phile..Best,

Jerry

Hello J,

It's good to hear from you and many thanks for the compliment,  Have a neat Sunday,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Glenn.

If I were a purist and worried about perfection I would be upset about a 1mm difference because 1mm equals almost 2 inches at this scale.  Am I glad I'm not a perfectionist and enjoy building for my own pleasure as well.  Hope you are having a very nice Sunday.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Lawrence.  Many thanks for your visit to my log and especially for your compliment.  I'm realy enjoying this phase of the build since I really like the effect of the walnut wood against the tanganika strips.  It seems like it's coming along the way I would like it to be for the natural finish i hope to give it.  I plan to have the second planking finished in a couple of days although I have other things to take care of also.  So, it just may not happen. Have a great week and I'll see you soon.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.

Here's a further update as to where I am in the building of this Half Moon.  The hull has been completely planked and I must say it looks as if the finish came out well enough to do a natural finish instead of painting.  I was hoping this would happen as i am very jealous of some of the beautiful Half Moons I have seen with their hulls finished in the natural wood finish.  I don't think it will be necessary to do any staining and if I'm right (after test staining some of the same wood) then the only finish for this hull will be plenty of sanding and a several coats of satin polyeurathane.  I would very much appreciate anyone's opinion as to staining or not,  or any other ideas with respect to finishing this hull.  Here are a few more pictures...and Best to all,

Jerry

post-545-0-28434000-1421166441_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-17189100-1421166480_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-18556100-1421166505_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-27157100-1421166546_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-50120500-1421166563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Hope all is well. This build has really moved on, as it was only started in mid December . Well it's really coming on well and the hull looks really good. I don't know about staining but I like the way it looks now, I am with Glenn and if I was happy about the finish of the hull after the final sanding I would not stain it, only a coat of varnish, but it's your ship. Anyway keep enjoying it DAVID.

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello Glenn.  

Yep, what you describe is definitely one way to go.  The question in my mind is varnish or polyurethane?  Thanks for your reply.

Hello to you Brian..  

Thank you for telling me about Alessandro's ship but I must admit I have that page in my "favorites."  and I look at with envy every day.  Now that's the finish I'm talking about; is it just varnish or has he used stain or is it polyurethane?  That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Jerry

Hello David...I don't know where the stain idea came up but I believe you and Glenn are correct. My only thought is am I better off with a satin varnish or a satin ployurethane?

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm no expert but I think you may want to experiment a little to decide, most solvent based urethane has an amber tint to it that will add that cast to the wood, water based is typically clear...most varnishes I'm familiar with have a tint as well.  If you tested on a few scraps you could decide which you preferred.

J

Hey J,

I used a water based varnish on the decks of Victory and the results were pretty good.  As you suggested, I will experiment with a few different finishes and see what I can find.  I might paint the handrails walnut but everhything else will be natural under a satin varnish.  I also have a few boo boos where the gunwhales did not fit perfectly so my thoughts to fix that will probably be a walnut putty used very sparingly.  Have great evening, J and thanks for your visit.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.

I have manged to get a little further along with my Half Moon and am really enjoying this build.  I think I may be a little short on a couple of strip woods but I believe I may be able to substitute from my Victory leftovers.  I have completed the vertical walls that run adjacent to all the decks, the deck planking of the main and forecastle decks and only have the beak, quarter and poop decks to go.  I'm really excited about this ship as it is so easy to manage.  I know I mentioned this before but the contrast in handling and maneuvering between the Half Moon and the Victory is huge.  So for the weekend I have attached a few more photos including one that shows my method of "caulking" the deck planks. Best to all,

Jerry

post-545-0-09540200-1421447215_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79252400-1421447230_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-46657500-1421447255_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21633300-1421447277_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59202100-1421447292_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-05790500-1421447313_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-25756500-1421447339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks for the look-see, Glenn.  I'll be looking forward to see your latest posting.  It's been fun to watch your progress.  Have a great weekend.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry