HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Hello Chris.

I visited the Dutch and the MSW websires and must say I'm impressed with your work. Der Friesland is an impressive build with all its decor and you are experiencing much initiative with your decisions.  I like the way you have chosen to deviate from the kit and that shows me you must certainly be an intelligent young man.  I look forward to your progress and will check in occassionally.  Thanks very much for your visite and nice comments.

Best,

Jerry

nice work on the stern decorations and the ship's boat...........they look really sharp!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Popeye...I hope you're not freezing up in N.H.   It's pretty cold here today in Naples, Florida, about 55 but starting to get colder and we expect near freezing tonight.  

With respect to Half Moon, I'm trying to figure a good way to make the two crow's nests.  I think Jay and you did a good job from what I have seen from your log sites.  I had a small piece of Birch stripwood which i ripped down the middle with my scroll saw and after soaking it, it did bend okay.  However I didn't have enough to make all the railings.  I'm now thinking about getting a piece of 3/32 plywood at the hobby shop and cutting out 2 different size circles for the railings.  I'm kind of in a funk right now trying to decide how to proceed.  Thanks very much for dropping by.

Best,

Jerry

Jay did a better job than I did.........but with what I have in the works,  I'm not going to change them.   he did very well in doing so ;)  if I didn't have such a primitive scroll saw  {I have a craftsman without all the extra attachments},  I might have made a second attempt.  it sounds like you have a plan........go for it!  there's nothing wrong with experimentation :)

Experimentation + creativity = success..........it's what this hobby is based on  ;)

we are buried up here!!!   more snow coming as well.......and we still have a bit further to go.  had a couple of days above freezing,  but now we are back in the deep again.  so depressing.....seems all I've been doing is shoveling.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello Popeye...Good to hear from you.

Well, I made a couple of "circles" out of plywood and frankly they look terrible.  They're much too bulky and way out of scale so I decided to go the route you and Jay did.  Funny, I believe we have the same scroll saw.  I just bought mine last week at Sears also.  It's the basic 10" throat scroll saw and I figured I'd need it some day.  The admiral is planning to start a build this summer so I believe it'll be a good thing to have around in case she needs it.  I called the UK this morning and spoke to someone at the Model Dockyard and ordered a few pieces of Flexible beech strip wood 1.5 x 3mm.  I will go the way you and Jay did.  I don't know what wood you used to bend the crow's nest's railings but the kit supplied some beech for railings and I had a little left over but not enough to finish the job.  I soaked the piece I had and bent it into a circle and it came out fine.  I think the 1.5x3mm will be perfect but I'll probably not see it for at least 10 days.  However, there are other things to do in the meantime.  Keep in touch and best to you,

Jerry

Hello Brian.

It seems like you have a very nice idea to try some time.  The problem is I don't have any 0.6mm planking strips left over and what I do have is very hard walnut, at least 1mm thick and some 1mm Tanganika. .  However, as you may have read above, I have just ordered some 1.5mm x 3mm flexible Beech strips from Model Drydock in Cornwall for the exact purpose of making the rings. I also mentioned that when I experimented with a piece of this wood I had no trouble making a very nice ring.  I checked your Enterprise log, page 12 and liked the way your lamination looks.  I will also have to make stantions for the two rings and will make them from the same Beech by soaking, etc.

Brian, it is very good of you to take the time to explain your method and if my attempt to make the rings as outlined fails, I will certainly give your idea a go.

Please stay in touch,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hey Lawrence..  Hope you're ok.  Thanks very much for your kind words regarding Half Moon, they're really appreciated.  The strip wood was mailed yesterday so I don't expect to see it for at least another week.  But I've been keeping busy by making the masts and yards which are almost finished. It looks like I'm about 2 or 3 weeks away from rigging.  Take care Lawrennce; see you soon on Skype;

Jerry

this might be a useful tool for you.   I acquired this tool a while ago.......funny that I haven't tried it yet.  it works much like a compass,  but it has a cutting blade on the radius end.

post-612-0-89724100-1424880108.jpg

this tool is put out by Model Craft        www.modelcraftcollection.com

Billing Boat sells this particular product line.   you can go here to see if they carry it

Ages of Sail - Product Catalog

Billing Boats USA

Ages of sail purchased the Billing Boat franchise a while ago.......they still support the site itself,  so I think you can check out either one to find it.   on the top is radius,  and the bottom line is diameter.  hope this helps you out.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye...

and many thaks for bringing this intriguing tool to my attention. I found it listed in Billings catalogue for $8.99. The listing mentions some suggested materials that it can be used to cut circles that includes paper, vinyl, leather but no wood.  it may work cutting very thin plywood lets say up to 2mm.  I just don't know.  I appreciate knowing about it though,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone..

As I mentioned earlier I'm at the stage in this build where I planned to scratch build the two crow's nests for the fore and main mast.  Unfortunately I did not have enough material to accomplish this.  I like what J did at this stage of his build and plan to come close to copying his design.  In order to do this I need some flexible Birch wood strips.  These are now on order and hopefully I'll receive them in a week or so.  In the meantime I have built the crosstrees, the bottoms, the rest of the masts, yards and flag staffs.  I had on hand some dark walnut stain which I applied to all the yards as called for in the directions.  I was also able to wind the gammoning on the fore and main masts.  I have attached some photos to show this.    There really isn't much more I can do until the wood strips arrive from the u.k.  

A litle note to Popeye....Many thanks for the tip on the circle cutter.  I ordered one yesterday from Billings since I'm not happy with the previus circles for the mast tops that I made.

Best to one and all.

Jerry

post-545-0-79536400-1424962850_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-63459700-1424962885_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-90279200-1424962900_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-05752600-1424962967_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-12072400-1424962988_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-87539900-1424963006_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92606300-1424963024_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60507500-1424963039_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-84386000-1424963050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn and thanks for the look see.  I hope your team is still winning.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Dimitris...

Ευχαριστώ Δημήτρη, εκτιμώ την επίσκεψή σας. Ελπίζω ότι όλα είναι καλά.

Hello Dimitris...

Ευχαριστώ Δημήτρη, εκτιμώ την επίσκεψή σας. Ελπίζω ότι όλα είναι καλά.

I'm impressed!!! Your Greek is better than my English!! :10_1_10:

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

I liked that one picture of her on the table.......the light set her up beautifully!  ;)   you've made some really great progress there....moving right along in fine shape!   about the tool.........after I posted that picture,  I was going to set up and cut a few circles to try it out.  I think that repeated light cuts,  it should do quite well.   I'm sure that 2 mm will be more than adequate for the crows nest base......heck,  you can even go to 1.5 mm   {1/8 to 3/16},  I use basswood quite a bit.........take your time,  take small bites,  and it should all turn out alright  ;)

I may still try to do it........very curious  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye.  

Good to hear from you once more.  I'm really excited about the circle cutting tool as I believe you told me about a good way to go.  I bought a piece of birch plywood, 1/16th of an inch which is about 1.6mm.  I'm sure this will work and give me for once and for all a decent circle for the crow's nest base(s).  

Thank you for your very nice thoughts about my progress with Half Moon as I sincerely appreciate it.  The directions that came with this Corel kit leave a lot to be desired as I'm sure J must have mentioned.  It's a good thing that I just completed Victory because that experience has enabled me to move along without much explanation.  I'm preparing the top caps to give me something to do as I await the various mail deliveries which will bring me, I hope, the materials I need to move beyond what I'm presently doing.

best to you,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the visit.  And before I say anything else i want to sincerely thank you for your patience with the skype repair episode yesterday.  It seems to be okay now but I'll know for sure when next I skype you.  I'm anxious to proceed with stepping the masts, crow's nests, mast caps, etc. so I'm really looking forward to what the mail brings these days.  All in all, there's a lot of time to pass before the rigging begins.

Hope to see you soon,

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

She is really looking fine...I think you'll be amazed at how bendy that beech is once you get it, I know I was.

J

Hello J,

Hope you are well.

Well I remember how it bent when I tried bending the small piece that I had left over from ther kit.  I ordered 1.5 x 3mm pieces which I believe will allow me to mount the deadeyes for the top mast rat lines on the railing.  I think that will give me a lot more room to run lines than mounting the deadeyes on the floor of the crow's nest.  Thanks for the visit j, it's always great to hear from my mentor....

Best,

Jerry

You falter me sir...Thank you for the kind words, I think that will give you plenty of meat to mount the rigging

Hello Everybody.

I found something else to keep me busy while waiting for the strip wood delivery from the U.K.  I noticed that some people completed the stepping of their masts by placing mast sleeves at the junction of the mast and the deck and other did not.  The Corel kit makes no mention of these sleeves and therefore doesn't provide any parts or material to make them.  I like the look that the sleeves give to the finish of the mast stepping so I decided to make my own,  I had no trouble slicing a piece of dowel and drilling a hole in the slice's center as long as I did the drilling in a few steps.  However, I had a terrible time trying to drill the main mast sleeve because of the larger size of the hole.  I must have shattered four or five sleeves while trying to drill the center hole so I scratched my head and started to think of some other way to do this.  I rummaged through the left overs from my Victory kit and, lo and behold, there was a sleeve still in its plywood sheet that I never used.  And the best part was that it was exactly the right size.  It even had the holes for the eyepins which will come in very handy when tying off some of the rigging later.  I've attached some photos of these scratch built sleeves and how they look on the ship.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-56134300-1425157978_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-58073900-1425157992_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93483900-1425158006_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-86993200-1425158028_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16187300-1425158042_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-08629600-1425158063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the visit; I always appreciate hearing from you.   I do not own a lathe.  I have just about every other power tool but I never owned a lathe.  I'll remember what you said however as I can always visit a friend who has one if needed.   I'm looking forward to getting that circle cutter as I want to make new bases for the crow's nests.  I hope to receive the  rest of the material I need in the the next few days so I can move on and get ready for rigging.  Take care, Brian and come visit again.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Glenn...

I've been lucky so far; I've been able to keep working while waiting for the material.  At this point I have very little more I can do so I'll probably enjoy a break for awhile.  Happy to hear that MU did okay.They're known  the world over and you're lucky you can get to see them.

Jerry