HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Truthfully, David, I would be in deep trouble if I didn't have the Victory kit leftovers. The assorted walnut strip wood is a godsend.  Thanks for stopping by to say hello.  I heard that you had a wonderful visit with Glenn.  I told him that one of these days you're going to get a visit from me too.  I mentioned to the admiral that I'd like to visit the UK again and she reminded me that we should wait until Victory in Portsmouth has been fully renovated.  So it may not be this summer;  we'll have to wait and see.  How many coats of varnish are you doing on Caroline?  Everytime I varnish one of the newly fastened deck pieces I also give the deck another coat. I'm being very careful not to build up any excess coats.  Stay well my friend.  Best,

Jerry

Hello Brian..

and many thanks for your visit to my log and for your thoughtful opinion on the gratings.  I have no doubt that when you equate the holes (squares) to inches, they are indeed large enough to catch someones boot.  So I guess if anyone walks on the gratings they would have to be very careful.  LOL.  Most of the larger grating is covered with the cutter; it's the smaller grating that is left exposed and subject to stuck shoes and boots.

I'm not much of a kit basher so I blindly followed the kit's instructions and most importantly I used the materials supplied.  I did look at the HMS Victory and the grating holes are indeed about 1mm square.and the scale is 72:1.  You have a legitmate concern and to keep your scale model correct, I suppose you'll have to find grating material smaller to construct authentic parts.  I will have to live with what I have already secured to the deck of my HM as I choose not to tear the current gratings off.  I also imagine that several other deck pieces, which I am currently in the process of making and attaching are probably too large also.  My deck "furniture" is probably too big but anyone viewing the model will at least be able to tell what the exagerated pieces are.  As I said, you are very correct in your figuring and I appreciate letting me know.  Please never hesitate to offer any other criticsm if you notice anything else not in conformity.

I hope you are having a very good evening.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good evening everyone..

Here's a little report on what I managed today.  I had a lot of errands to run so I didn't make as much progress as I wanted to.  Constructing the capstan, pump and bucket also took some time but it was worth every minute of the enjoyment I had.  Here's three pictures of my work.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-50566600-1423175393_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-30321500-1423175405_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-29408300-1423175415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Onwards and upwards must soon be time for the masts and yards. I'm just starting work on channels and hull brass work. I think I'm going to work my way down the hull fitting brass profiles, channels (and fittings), gun port lids and dummy barrels in sections so as to break up some of the repetition. On Saturday I plan to start work on Pegasus.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

`Thanks for the visit, Brian, and for your compliment.  After your previous post I checked the height of the railings to see how they would scale up on inches.  They're approximately 20 mm high which equates to about a yard.  20mm devided by 25.4 x 50 = 39.37 inches exactly one yard give or take one hundreth of an inch.  I also think the capstan is not to scale and several other deck fixtures.  Thought you'd like to know.  Best,

Jerry

Hello Glenn.

I think you're going to learn how to juggle as soon as you build two models at a time.  But you're capable.....LOL.....best,

Jerry

Good morning from Jerry's Drydock.....

HM is coming along.  Half the ship's (port side) strops and deadeyes are fixed in place with one small operation still needed:  the chainplate nailheads are still to be painted black.  This will be done when the starboard allignment of channels have their strops and deadeyes fitted.  The series of photographs will illustrate the sequence used to bring my HM to this point.  I hope this will help anyone looking for this information.  It was necessary to spread the two wires of the strops in order to fit the deadeye.  A needle nose pliers was used to bend the strop into the proper shape to fit the channel and side of the hull.  A hole was drilled into the side of the hull to accommodate the nail,  securing it with a drop of CA cement.  This procedure will now be repeated to complete the starboard allignment of chainplates.

Feb 9, 2015

Starboard side chainplates have been built and attached to the channels and all nailheads have been painted black.

post-545-0-54142900-1423484472_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26043600-1423484490_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-91150700-1423484501_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07048800-1423484523_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-15451000-1423484539_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03160300-1423484560_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26442500-1423484579_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67372900-1423484591_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-29101000-1423484634_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07159100-1423484691_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04551800-1423492191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Great set of pictures which clearly show what has to be done to those who follow in your wake and very informative

Pegasus is back in the dry dock and I will start on my Victory channels tonight. I plan to make the same diagonal cut as shown by Shipyard Sid to secure the deadeye stroop in the channel. I have prepared a test piece to perfect the technique.

Have a great day.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.  Good to hear from you and many thanks for your kind words.  David's method using the diagonal cut works very well; you're smart to use it.  As you can tell from the pics I supplied above, there was no need to doctor the slots already provided in the channels of HM.

Now that  you have two builds going at once I suspect you'll be receiving double dividends of fun .  It's a challange to keep in mind which ship is which but you seem to have established a routine.  I widh you the best.  And  stay warm

Jerry

very nice progress Jerry......I had a lot to catch up on ;)    then again,  it's been hard to keep up with ALL the builds I watch...lately !

looking very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye.. Good to hear from you.  I appreciate your comment.  I'm enjoying this build primarily, believe it or not, because of the ease of handling the model during construction.  Victory was so large that it was cumbersome and dangerous to manipulate.  HM is like holding a football.  Stop in again soon,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everybody.

It looks like the drydock hired several more workers to work on the construction of their ships since it was suggested that for everyday a ship is finished ahead of the contracted time a bonus of substantial substance will be paid to everyone concerned.  I noticed a distinctive push today as word of the bonus circulated throughut the yard.  When all said it looks like the construction of Half Moon is a little ahead of schedule and this gave the workers impetus to increse etheir rate of activity.  So in two days cannons were inserted into the gunports, gunport lids were built and attached and all the haul ropes were strung from the lids through the hull of the ship to their proper rachets.  Pictures of these activities follow and please remember to place your mouse on a photo to see its caption. I wish everyone the best,

Jerry

post-545-0-94700100-1423686725_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-25412200-1423686744_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-81760300-1423686786_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-72893400-1423686800_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-47569800-1423686817_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-17470500-1423686881_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-99832100-1423686915_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-11567300-1423686962_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-08749300-1423687021_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-76604700-1423687037_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-69560600-1423687063_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68120000-1423687104_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44489600-1423687144_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-83582900-1423687255_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98785900-1423687274_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.

Thank you for your very nice words regarding the gunports.  It does seem that this build is progressing quicker than I thought .  Pretty soon I'll have to think about shaping masts and yards to get ready for rigging but there's still several rthings to finish on the hull.  I appreciate your time to visit my site and wish you the best,

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

I cannot believe the speed this build is going. Well I have retuned after a small problem. The build is looking really good and your photos are excellent, as are your explanations. Yep looks like you will soon be turning to the masts and yards, plus the part we shall refrain from mentioning for the moment. Keep up the good work Jerry. ......DAVID

Hello David.

I have purposely refrained from mounting the "pointy thing." and I'm also sure that you know why.  Thanks for the visit; I was hoping to hear from you.  I just got through visiting Lawrence on a Skype cast and saw your post.  The model is definitely moving quicker than I anticipated.  I think the HMS Victory experience has made this build speedier and more enjoyable even though the directions are horrific.  I'm painting now as the transom is crying to be decorated.  There are 6 stars and a half moon plus three other ornaments to be painted and placed. And you are right, the next step after is turning the masts and yards.  Whenever you make a post to your Caroline site I look in to see so I'll be watching for whatever you show next.  Take good care,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everybody..

At this point in my build of Half Moon I have competed the installation of the transome gunport lids.  Also, the two swivel guns have been placed in their positions on the quarterdeck railings.

post-545-0-02713400-1423838086_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79155800-1423838108_thumb.jpg[attachmenpost-545-0-21382000-1423838130_thumb.jpg

I'm now at the stage of painting and applying the ornaments that decorate the transom.  

In researching this phase of the build I have run across an interesting situation.  It seems that the color choices for these decorative pieces differ model by model.  I, too, have made a choice that may come back to haunt me in the future.  I have decided to not paint the taffrail nor the figure head (the lion) and leave them both with their polished brass finish. I'm even not sure yet if I will varnish them to try and prevent tarnishing;  I may some time in the future have to paint them if tarnishing becomes severe.  I have also decided to leave the windows and lion's heads as is, polished brass.  If the polished brass finish lasts then these pieces will appear to be guilded.  But the transom pieces will be painted to match the majority of other builds.  As for the guilded rope that's supposed to frame the transom, I plan to test how it takes CA cement.  I may eliminate this decoration altogether.post-545-0-92057400-1423838541_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-25332500-1423848584_thumb.jpg

After testing gluing the guiled rope I made the final decision and applied it and the other ornaments to the transom.

Also, the figurehead has been mounted as well as the windows, lion heads and taffrail.  Here are some addional pictures:

post-545-0-37134200-1423859455_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-63970400-1423859479_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-23500600-1423859411_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-36095200-1423859427_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-73810600-1423848863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

I hope you have a good supply of dog buscuits, Glenn.  You have a great wekend too.

Best,
Jerry

Hey Jerry,

She's looking good, I think your chose to leave some of the casting gilded goes well with your natural wood finish.  One thing though... I think the medallion with the lion on it should be positioned vertically, I believe it is to depict a rampant lion, standing on it's back legs, like the blue ensign for the main mast?   Either way nice progress...at this rate you may finish before the end of the month!!

J

Good morning, J..

My, you're up early this morning.  LOL...Thak you for checking in at my log site.  I appreciate your taking the time and your thoughts regarding my build.  I'm sure you're correct regarding the proper positining of the lion medalion and I'm now pondering how to make the change without damaging the transom. I never noticed the proper way to mount that medallion but I will take your suggestion happily.  I hope all is going well with you and that you are enjoying looking at the beautiful trophy you created in your Half Moon.  Have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Brian..

Many thanks for your visit to my site.  And you are probably correct about the star's relation to the half moon but I'm afraid removing the one star that's in the circumferance of the moon would do more damage than good. I followed the layout as shown in the plans so I'll have to live with it.  A good lesson for all of us and just in time for you when you build your ship. Keep the visits coming and any other comments are much appreciated.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello everybody..

Well it looks like I'm about ready to begin shaping the masts and yards.  Fortunately I now own a drill press so life should be a lot easier to accomplish this phase of the build.  At this time, the ship's boat, the cutter has been finished and laashed along with its oars to the cradle on the deck.  Here are some pictures which show this progress.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend,

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-15969100-1424048472_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-28823900-1424048501_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-38463100-1424048535_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-18977400-1424048550_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence...

Thanks for the very nice compliment.  It was a lot of fun working on the little cutter.  The directions are terrible so imagination is most important when working on this project.  You're right, the fun is about to begin when shaping the masts and yards although I'm concerned about reconstructing the platforms and cross timbers.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do to replace the dumb "wheels" that are supplied by the kit manufacturer to be used for mast tops.  I guess I'll try and replicate what some of the other people did since they were nice enough to be very comprehensive with their descriptions and photos.  Hope you and Bernie are keeping warm.

Jerry

Hi Jerry...your cutter looks very nice, definitely a sea worthy little boat :D A word about the cross trees...the dimensions given in the plan sheet do not allow enough room for any rigging to pass through them, this presented a real problem for me as I had to perform surgery on them after the mast were stepped and the rigging half complete.If I were doing it again I would add 2mm to each fore and aft.  Same to be said for the crows nests the hole dimensions are just to small.  Take care

J

Hello Chris.

I was wondering where you were.  I hadn't heard from you for quite some time. I hope all is well.  And thanks for getting back to my log.  I'm about to start shaping the masts and yards and intend to do this as I had when building the Victory, using a drill press.  It works fine with this method. I'd like to know more about your friesland.  It's a name I don't know at all.  Take care and Best to you,

Jerry

Thanks for the tip, J...

And I will definitely allow more room as you suggest.  I'll probably have a lot of questions when I get to the building of the crow's nests and  cross trees.  I have one strip of beechwood, about 12 inches long, still available, so I guess that's what I'll use for the round pieces in the crow's nests.  I intend to follow your log very closely on this phase.  I hope this works out.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry.

I had some tough times at home and work so my mind was not set to hobby mode. Now i am slowly picking up the pace again.

My build log of the Friesland is here in dutch:

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/bouwverslagen-historische-schepen/202911-bouwverslag-friesland-mamoli-cvl-1-75-a.html

And a summary here on msw:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8318-friesland-by-chris-van-der-linden-mamoli-175/

It is a dutch two decker closely resembling the 7 Provincien. Its my first large build and only my second ship so i am struggling sometimes. Especially now i need to start rigging. No experience with that so very daunting

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75