HM Cutter Lady Nelson by bryanc - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Bryan, the stern looking better now. Did the name plate come with the kit, I have this kit to build, can't remember seeing that in the box.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Bryan, the stern looking better now. Did the name plate come with the kit, I have this kit to build, can't remember seeing that in the box.

Hi,

Yes if your kit is No. 1300/01 - its the revised edition. (The main difference is you have two sets of conflicting instructions!). The name plate is a piece of pressed brass(?) in a small plastic envelope with the few other brass pieces (including the notoriously flimsy deadeye fittings).

The nameplate is intended to be painted yellow on black, but being brass, I painted the whole lot matt black then when dry, with a fine needle file, I filed off the relief which picks out the raised name and scroll work beautifully.

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Bryan, mine has t hat reference number but is different from yours and no name plate. Deck furniture is different also.

Adrian.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Bryan, mine has t hat reference number but is different from yours and no name plate. Deck furniture is different also.

Adrian.

Adrian, maybe the Kit No. is the same. Although probably not as I've just had a look on the box. Not only does it say "New Edition Kit" in several places, there is also an actual photograph on the side clearly showing the nameplate. It looks like yours maybe the original edition if it hasn't got that. I can't imagine the deck furniture has changed much, remember I've been a tad "creative" with mine.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on...

A bit of general tidying up to be done, but otherwise about ready to move up from the deck. Masts and spars all sized, but how does one effectively taper said spars without access to a mini lathe!? Is it all patiently sandpapered?

The instructions are woefully inadequate about the tapering itself - length thereof and stuff.

post-17543-0-87949600-1424977361_thumb.jpg

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Should have done a more effective search, as there is a bit of stuff already written about tapering of yards and spars :-)

I must just add I was a little unfair to Victory Models, the dimensions of the masts, spars etc were on the drawings, and they were shown more or less full size which was helpful, but there are no instructions at all what to do with them.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, I've come up with my own typically rough and ready method of tapering them; I clamped my cordless Dremel 7700 securely in a vice with a sander drum in the chuck and, at low speed, wearing safety specs, moved and rotated the spars etc delicately across the drum. Its probably not a very health & safety accredited method and great care has to be taken, but its done a fair job. Medium then fine sandpaper completed the task, and with the possible exception of the bowsprit, painted or stained they don't look too awful.

post-17543-0-51941900-1425141011_thumb.jpg

Now to read up on fitting them!

Bryan

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty

The end is in sight

It was a strange moment when the mast went up, it was suddenly a ship, and it was quite a defining moment!

Obviously some big strides have now taken place and the end is in sight, although still a lot to do. Working with the blocks and lines is so fiddly, but strangely satisfying, and although I’ve taken short-cuts purists will shudder at, it’s been good fun and I’m enjoying it. And I even dare to say it looks OK – from a distance!

post-17543-0-06760700-1425493607_thumb.jpg

It is after all my first ship and I’m aware there are mistakes and in some cases shoddy workmanship, but its all a big and enjoyable learning experience, and I’m already relishing my next ship.

Note the careful posing; in front of my limited edition Smitheman print “HMS Victory Leading the Line at Trafalgar”!

Bryan

post-17543-0-72846200-1425493627_thumb.jpg

Current build HMS Bounty

Hi Bryan.

It's a great way to learn.. By our mistakes that is..

Trial and error learning is the best way.

Your ship is looking very good.

I always think that we build to our own standards and that just fine. It's your ship :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Bryan

All our builds are learning curves and if they are not fun we would not build our second or third model.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Thanks guys, its good of you and encouraging when ones feeling maybe a tad discouraged - like I was yesterday struggling with the mainstay! Grrr!

But in no way totally discouraged, as I am already relishing my second ship; it was always intended to be a large scale Victory, but I think I will hone my skills a little further first, hmmm, now which ship...

Thanks,

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Finished!

A little bit of tidying up and I'll post the pics, but;

As in the nature of these things I am already casting about for my next project. It was going to be the HM Bomb Vessel Granado (probably the Victory Model version which is a lot cheaper than the Caldercraft, but opinions on that would be welcome), but I've come across the Caldercraft HM William Gunboat. Its a bit of an odd one, which in itself is intreguing, but its also 1:32 which has really got my attention. Has anyone any experience of this kit, or even built it? A search on site has come up with nothing!

Any comments welcome, thanks.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

The Lady Nelson completed

Photos attached as promised of my first completed ship; The Lady Nelson. A hugely enjoyable experience, she is far from perfect, but I take great pleasure in her. But, onwards and upwards, and I am currently awaiting delivery of my next project - Caldercraft HM Gunboat William 1795 1:32 scale model kit.

post-17543-0-27164600-1426504317_thumb.jpg

post-17543-0-75923600-1426504345_thumb.jpg

post-17543-0-43610500-1426504364_thumb.jpg

post-17543-0-59468300-1426504378_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Bryan

post-17543-0-42809600-1426504395_thumb.jpg

Current build HMS Bounty

Congratulations! Very nicely done! Must be a very satisfying feeling.

Tony

Congratulations! Very nicely done! Must be a very satisfying feeling.

Tony

Thanks Tony! Yes it is, a very satisfying feeling. The trouble is I now need quite desperately to continue to build, and my chosen next kit seems to be out of stock everywhere, so I'm frantically seeking a suitable next build that I can afford, and someone has in stock for immediate delivery!

Bryan

Edited by bryanc

Current build HMS Bounty

How about entering the world of scratch building? I've thought that it would be good to try one of the cross-sections on this forum, such as the Triton or Echo. It would probably be vastly more satisfying than a kit, especially since the materials are under your own control. When you think about it, the only real advantage to kits is that you have the bulkheads laser-cut. For a scratch build you just have to print out the sections, stick them to wood and then cut them out yourself with a jeweller's saw or fretsaw.

Tony

How about entering the world of scratch building? I've thought that it would be good to try one of the cross-sections on this forum, such as the Triton or Echo. It would probably be vastly more satisfying than a kit, especially since the materials are under your own control. When you think about it, the only real advantage to kits is that you have the bulkheads laser-cut. For a scratch build you just have to print out the sections, stick them to wood and then cut them out yourself with a jeweller's saw or fretsaw.

Tony

Well I certainly share your admiration for cross-sections and the great detail they provide, and have given the likes of the Panart Victory Bow Section much consideration, but scratch building?! I think you asume I have far more skill than I in fact do. No, I need far more basic hands on experience before I attempt the lofty heights of scratch building, so I'm still searching for the next kit...

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Or lofting heights? I was very impressed by Harold Underhill's frequent assertions that building from plans is within most people's competence. Perhaps it just takes a bit longer and maybe we'd make more mistakes to learn from. Anyway, just a thought. There are quite a few experts on this forum who prefer kit-bashing, and that seems just as demanding. I look forward to your next build whatever it is.

Tony

Or lofting heights? I was very impressed by Harold Underhill's frequent assertions that building from plans is within most people's competence. Perhaps it just takes a bit longer and maybe we'd make more mistakes to learn from. Anyway, just a thought. There are quite a few experts on this forum who prefer kit-bashing, and that seems just as demanding. I look forward to your next build whatever it is.

Tony

Oh if things continue as I anticipate scratch building may be on the cards one day. For now though my next build, for a variety of reasons, will be the Caldercraft HM Brig "Supply", just ordered - from Model Dockyard this time.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Well done sir!

I look forward to seeing the gunboat.

Thanks Gunther! However it isn't going to be the gunboat, out of stock and I can't wait, need my ship building fix!!

Current build HMS Bounty

On Thursday I received the (heavy) box containing my Caldercraft HM Brig "Supply". I've also incidentally won a bidding war on Ebay for the Caldercraft HM Mortar Vessel Convulsion, which is coming next week!!

The "Supply" has already been started however, so I'd better start a new build log for her. See you there!

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 7 months later...

Hi Brian - I'm contemplating building the Australian "Lady Nelson" which is a two masted brig (cutter  conversion per NMM). To see if this kit is readily usable as a base I wonder if you could give me the actual dimensions of the kit hull i.e. length, beam and depth. I've the figures  for the original and just need to see how much work is needed to fiddle with the hull.

Thanks in advance.

Rick 

Hi Brian - I'm contemplating building the Australian "Lady Nelson" which is a two masted brig (cutter  conversion per NMM). To see if this kit is readily usable as a base I wonder if you could give me the actual dimensions of the kit hull i.e. length, beam and depth. I've the figures  for the original and just need to see how much work is needed to fiddle with the hull.

Thanks in advance.

Rick 

Hi Rick,

I don't know how easy it will be to "bash" the standard kit as you intend. Its relatively small after all. But, (very) rough dimensions (literally just taken with a tape measure); overall length 50cms, hull length 30cms, beam 10cms, overall height 50cms and depth 8cms. She was my first "proper" complete build, and is a lovely little ship.

Cheers,

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

Thanks Brian - it looks as if the model is actually slightly larger that the Australian ship which at 1/64 would measure 26 cm length and 8.45 cm beam. This is an idea that I'm working on slowly but I don't think it's insurmountable.

Rick

One last question - was the "depth" measured including gunwales? If so can you give me the depth of the gunwales please. The other measurements are actually near as damn it correct for the Australian Lady Nelson if modelled at 1/54 so bashing may not be that hard given how close the hull appears.

Rick

Hi Rick, yes it did include the gunwhales. The depth of those is about 12mm complete. Good luck with the build, I'll watch with interest should you post it.

Bryan

Current build HMS Bounty

• 1 year later...

I think you did a marvelous job!  This is my 'work in progress ship'.  And I had some difficulties on the first layer of planking.  But you did wonderfully!  Something to be proud of!!!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.