Preussen Clipper by Chasseur - Ship in Bottle

Sorry to hear you didn't have time to touch the build, i.e. sorry for us followers, now we have to wait even longer for your next update ;) However, I do hope everything is alright with you and your family!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

A very ambitious project when time is at a premium and the problem with builds spreading over many years is that the skills of the builder will most certainly change either for the better or the worse over extended periods. Is there actually any approximate completion date being aimed for - or is it a 'lifetime project?'   

Degradation of the mechanic is a real problem.  When I began my Glory of the Seas log nearly 4 years ago..I could see...didn't shake, and took infrequent head breaks.  Now as time progresses and the build slows down the only thing not falling apart is the tweezers in my hand which used to be a skillfully used tool, but has become an unstable weapon.  Take as many breaks as you need to keep from destroying more then you build.:default_wallbash:

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Life has got in the way of my hobbies since my last post, renovations/painting on the house, washing machine cratered; my eldest son slipped a disc in his back, work is busy, and we finally got my youngest son’s 73 Nova SS on the road. So henceforth no man cave time whatsoever. Today I finally got back into the build and started on all of the yards/spars and built myself a gizmo from an old Phillips shaver to taper the ends on the yards and spars.

First two pictures is the work started for the upper cross trees.

001.JPG.106c45e9ca28abd0a7873f65d50c9674.JPG

002.JPG.528b81ba7c5fc96cd2dcb48fe4626ac7.JPG

Next 2 pictures is the gizmo I built from the can motor and Frankenstein power supply. Inside the shaver is a step down transformer from 110 AC to 6 volt D.C. I mounted the transformer in a box and the can motor on a swiveling pedestal. The stone is from a Dremel tool glued to the little blue ring gear.

003.JPG.a289167f05b02484ea50ccb5020cff8c.JPG

004.JPG.eba8a50aab8123ae1f4a484315ed6b6c.JPG

Next picture is start of all of the spar and yard work. Sewing Needles and extremely small diameter wire for the aforementioned.

005.JPG.92a7c57fbc0aa7e97ca4d4c5d76e1238.JPG

Next picture is the upper cross-tree and the braces I have to model coming off of the tree to keep the standing rigging from fouling with the yards.

006.JPG.0fe86fb78a1b93c78779383df7b32c55.JPG

Last picture is the upper Forecastle area with the port and starboard running lights installed.

007.JPG.b6c6ebe1f627840c4cdff16e8283b8d4.JPG

More to come eventually... Jeff

P.S. my youngest son got me back into playing Chess as a pastime as well!

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

• 2 months later...

H,

Some of us do other things besides modelbuilding, and some don't, but it is a hobby, which means there is no hurry, it should be fun. If it takes another four years, so be it, if it takes longer fine with me. I'll visit when there is an update ... Besides the former, sometimes things happen in someone's life which get his/her attention refocused, we'll just need to accept that. Enjoy MSW at it's own speed.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought it was high time to update this build. The last year, and the beginning of this year has been insanely busy for me. The mother-in-law passed away and then to top it off my wife has been stuck with all of the executor work as both her parents are now deceased which is brutal. Between Revenue Canada and lawyers it’s amazing how they can keep a person alive once they’re gone. So henceforth, I have been supportive of the Vice Admiral, and the hobby has taken a bit of a back seat. 

Work has been really challenging as we’re going through a major change management phase. Thank goodness I have managed to come through unscathed!

I shelved the Preussen for first to third quarter of this year, as I have HMS Wivern on the blocks to put it into a light bulb for my eldest son’s birthday coming up in June of this year. Presssure is on, however it will be done come Hell or high water! Then it will be back onto the Preussen to finish it for Christmas of this year as a gift to my youngest son.

If you want to see the Wivern build you’ll have to please log into the Bottled Ship Builder forum and look for Chasseur. Also I am now the editor in chief for the Bottled ShipWright which is a free journal we offer to our members. The first Journal came out for Christmas of last year and I have the next one coming out in June of this year.

So if you’re into ships-in-Bottles then by all means sign up for the journal. When you’re on the site please hit the clubs tab at the top and sign up. This would be my shameless plug here and now. Please come back here in the Fall and look to see the Nitrate Clipper finished and into the bottle by December 23rd.

Jeff

Edited by Chasseur

Good to hear from you Jeff, once it warms up a bit perhaps we can get together for a coffee.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Good to see you back at the helm Jeff......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 5 weeks later...

I am a noob, with a newfound interest in ships in bottles, and just finished reading through this build log. Would love to see it finished.

One thing I need to mention here  @Chasseur, You, Sir, are an excellent tool maker. Your ship building is exemplary but the tools you have made are still better. An educational experience. Thank you.

Thank-you Polite Ghost! Plans are to finish Wivern by June 11th and then get back onto the Preussen. I want it finished as well. :dancetl6:

Also please join us on the Bottled Ship Builder website, sign up, and hit the clubs tab and then sign up for a free journal. I started the club and intend to publish 2 journals annually. Lot's of great information.

http://www.bottledshipbuilder.com/

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the answer is no. Work has been extremely busy, issues with my Mom’s health, and my wife’s executor dealings with her parents estate has delayed completion.

So I texted my Son’s fiancé and told her my Son will receive the Wivern for Christmas as it’s still a surprise gift. Hopefully I can finish it by the fall and dive back into the Preussen by sometime in October. Thanks for following up and holding my feet to the fire Belleisle!