Sloop Mediator by qwerty2008 - Scale 1:48 - BOTTLE - using plans by carlosgf

I cut off the piece that got pulled from under the skin then cleaned up the area with alcohol and applied antiseptic ointment before bandaging it with gauze and going to bed last night. Today it feels much better and barely (used as a relative term) hurts.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Been working with power tools for over 50 years Lextin....plenty of scars to show for it. Fortunately, as in your case, they were all flesh wounds.

So far, still able to count to ten before pulling my shoes off.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The Lower Planking Continued: (36:00 hours)

Last night I decided to get back to work and since then I have planked the rest of the port side. two stealers where required in the stern.

post-1993-0-13414600-1427499733_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-83138000-1427499737_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-71486600-1427499742_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Port Side Paint: (37:00 hours)

When done with the planking I proceeded to stain the wood above the waterline and paint it white below the waterline. I still need to do some touching up on the color. Question: Should I paint the wales with thinned black paint or leave them natural? or even dye them with India ink?

post-1993-0-67396600-1427500453_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

I decided to test some ideas for the wales so I took a scrap piece of oak and used india ink on a portion thinned paint on another and Sharpie marker on the last. Out of the the three I like the Sharpie the most but am afraid that it might rub off while handling the model.

post-1993-0-00344500-1427512840_thumb.jpg

PS. Here is a picture of my new, safer rasping setup for the planks.

post-1993-0-80996600-1427512835_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

Lextin,

Try putting some finish on the test piece.  Sharpies sometimes bleed. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Once you seal the wood, the stains, etc., don't work. It will be blotchy. You may want to redo you test with sealed wood.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Lextin

I approve of your kinder, gentler, more caring rasping method. Somehow, I still feel queasy thinking about your missing thumb nail....! Oh and by the way, the red blotch on the wood isn't your blood, is it???

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Mark/Canute: I don't currently have anything to seal the wood except some clear coat which I would rather not use on this model as it would give a waxy appearance due to how thick it goes on. I am open to suggestions as to what product to get when the time comes?

Gaetan: the paint (spray paint sprayed into a jar) I used was solvent based but I do have a small can of water based paint that I can try as well.

Patrick: no the red on the board is Sharpie. though I don't remember ever putting the mark on the board all the actual blood spatter turned brown after a day or so.

I will hold off on painting the wales for now until I know for sure what the best method to do this is. I had originally planned to leave them natural (hence the use of a different wood then the planking) but I later realized that the model needed a little bit of contrasting color to make it stand out more, and to draw the eye away from any mistakes that I will inevitably make later on down the road.

PS. I have applied another coat of stain which darkened up the color a little and covered up the blotchyness along the waterline. 

Lextin.

• The title was changed to Sloop Mediator by qwerty2008 - Scale 1:48 - BOTTLE - using plans by carlosgf