The First Royal Dutch Yacht Mary by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Mamoli - 1646

Marc,

This yacht you build is very nice!  I like this type of ship particularly because it was the first wooden model I made (being eleven years old).  My parents were a bit doubful at that time, and I broke a lot of saws on it - but I did it.

And the model still excists (though it neads some repair now - ca. 40 years later)..

Hans;

Thank you for your kind words. Who made the kit 40 years ago?

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marc,

It was a kit made by Billing Boats.  Sometimes you still can find on the internet. There is a Dutch auction-site where I found it two times (just looked it up):

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/modelbouw-boten-en-schepen/m792228491-bouwpakket-v-e-statenjacht-billing-boats-nr-461-en-462.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Thanks for the link.  Looks like the Dutch eBay.  I saved the link so I can check it out.  Possibility for me that if I find something I gotta have I will have it sent to my mom in Amsterdam, pay the person and my mother will send it to me.  Also the Nederlandse Ver. voor Model. has some nice plans.

You can get the same plans in the US at Taubman but they are twice as expensive.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks for the link.  Looks like the Dutch eBay.  I saved the link so I can check it out.  Possibility for me that if I find something I gotta have I will have it sent to my mom in Amsterdam, pay the person and my mother will send it to me. ..

Marc

Correct. It is even part of Ebay - but works in a little bit diffirent way. There is no end-time on an auction and it is not mandatory to buy the object if you are the highest bidder. 

I don't know if your mom is familiair with internet (she might be a bit older) because Marktplaats is a bit reserved towards foreign bidders.

The kit from Billing Boats was a nice one when I bougth it 40 years ago (it was a present from my grandma - She gave me some money and said I should buy something which made me not to forget her - so I bought this kit).

Maybe to nowaday standards the kit is a bit "poor".

Hans   

I don't know if your mom is familiair with internet (she might be a bit older) because Marktplaats is a bit reserved towards foreign bidders.

My mother is one of those 85 year olds that excels in her class. Skypes with the family, books vacation on the internet, reads the NRC and the NY times, researches philosophy, etc.

Marc

Like Grandma in Downton Abbey  :)

Then I can imagine she is familiar with Marktplaats and would be able to buy such an item for you (if you want to have it though - because scratch-builing can be nicer than out of a box building).

Hans   

Hi Marc,

I just went through your build log, nice job.  I will bet that you are happy to be almost finished with your busy season here.

I noticed your avatar changed to a spring hat.  Nice.

Years ago I visited Amsterdam and was busily buying wooden shoes to take home to family and friends.  I happened upon this rather special wooden shoe and decided that I had to have it.

post-9182-0-90326700-1396901236_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-76732000-1396901260_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-79609700-1396901294_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-58650200-1396901322_thumb.jpg

The pennant and the top of the mast had broken off in shipment and I did not notice until the packing had been disposed of.  That resulted in some serious dumpster diving until it was recovered.  

Great work on the yacht.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Years ago I visited Amsterdam and was busily buying wooden shoes to take home to family and friends.  I happened upon this rather special wooden shoe and decided that I had to have it.

Great work on the yacht.

Thank you for your kind works.

That wooden shoe boat is the coolest item I have ever seen when wooden shoes are made into something.

I have 2 pairs myself and wear one when I shovel the snow.  The other pair is orange and that would make a great model.

Thank you for sharing.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

As I am very busy with work there is little time for modeling but I did finish the flags and will work on it some more later on today. The flags fall nicely but I think the colors are too bright. I checked numerous paintings and pictures of replicas and on the replicas they are pretty bright as well.

So what do other members think?

Marc

post-2705-0-64936500-1398604017_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-05164900-1398604090_thumb.jpg

The flags look great, Marc.

I think if you hit them with a little Dulcoat, they'll lose that "too bright" look.

Sometimes, I think people project a modern sensibility on prior centuries. This happens all the time with views of the American Civil War. Millions of photos exist from the Civil War ... all in black-and-white, giving the impression that things were not very colorful back then. In fact, the opposite was true. They loved colorful things back then as much as we do now and sailors painted their ships to impress! Bright colors were used, but on a model they need to be toned down a little to make them look properly to scale and not like toys.

Dan

The flags look great, Marc.

I think if you hit them with a little Dulcoat, they'll lose that "too bright" look.

Thanks Dan. What is Dulcoat? I think Kurt mentioned that as well in the last meeting.

Marc

Hi Marc,

I think the flags look great.  Dullcote will protect them as well as take the shine down a little.

post-9182-0-53077100-1398623529_thumb.jpg

Jack

To dgbot and Jack P. thanks for the answer to my question. Will go to my nearest hobby shop and locate a little bottle.

Marc

Hello Marc, Nice build log you have. Great job on this build looks good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Marc, do youself a favor and get the biggest size you can find. You can airbrush it right out of the bottle. If not sure ask Kurt or Dan.

David B

Marc:

Be careful with Dullcoat.  One coat does the job.  Multiple coats don't make things duller - they actually build up making the surface smooth - and shiny.  Of course, if you use a very thin coat via the airbrush, another coat might be OK, but if you use the stuff from a rattle can stop at one coat.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 month later...

Here are some of the last pictures of the 99.9% completed model.  Flags still need some Dullcoat.  The stand needs to be finished and the display case needs to be built.  This will not happen for several months as I am very busy at work.

Spring started really late so everything is extended.  Furthermore, due to the killer cold winter we had, there is a need for many replacement plants needed in the landscape.  I order 50 - 3 gls pot, red roses (Double Knockout) and they are out the door in a week.  I just can't keep up with the demand.  I manage a garden center.

So here goes

Marc

post-2705-0-09417400-1401845524_thumb.jpg

Flags are drying.

post-2705-0-89065700-1401845524_thumb.jpg

More drying.

post-2705-0-72870100-1401845692_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-11936000-1401845694_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-40764300-1401845695_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-75933500-1401845696_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-49792200-1401845698_thumb.jpg

Different angles and close ups.

post-2705-0-11793600-1401845869_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-01009400-1401845871_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-40839700-1401845872_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-59008000-1401845873_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-33075700-1401845875_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-79917600-1401845876_thumb.jpg

More details.

post-2705-0-80113200-1401845987_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-15546200-1401845989_thumb.jpg

post-2705-0-47173200-1401845990_thumb.jpg

These are the last shots with the flags in place. Taken on a light table.

I painted the VOC emblem on the flags as this was the era that the VOC had yachts. I omitted the one sided British flags that came with the kit.

In a couple of months I will add the display case pictures.

Thanks for viewing.

Marc

Congratulations on your completed model Marc!

She looks terrific! Well done.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Congratulations Marc!

She really is beautiful.  I am amazed that you had time to finish at this time of year.  The flags look great.

Like David B I wish that I could see her up close.

Jack

Well done Marc,

I truly wish I could have seen it up close.

David B

Congratulations on your completed model Marc!

She looks terrific! Well done.

Peter

Congratulations Marc!

She really is beautiful. I am amazed that you had time to finish at this time of year. The flags look great.

Like David B I wish that I could see her up close.

Thank you for the complements. Overall I am pretty satisfied and there is room for improvement which will be on the next boat. But the Utrecht has to wait until Fall.

I am still working on a static 52" freighter, the "Scout" (kit made by Sterling - PA). My father-in-law worked on this but never finished it. Need to get it done and donate to Chicago Maritime Museum.

Marc

• 5 months later...

I have recently started to undertake the challenge of building Yacht Mary myself, using the plans from Mamoli. However, I am doing mine at a much larger scale and trying to do a full POF admiralty style. So far, this has been a fun ship and I like many of the modifications you made, as well as a few of my own that I plan to do. Will have to start my own thread on here :)