USS Constitution by usedtosail - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1/76

I gotta say I'm still at odds with which way to depict her. I'm leaning toward the "As Launched in 1797" method since there seems to be a little more info to go by, but I haven't made up my mind yet.  :rolleyes:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I'll see tonight how well these held the shape and how much more shaping they may need.

Those clips to hold the batten in place are exactly what I was trying to design to clamp my planking while the glue was setting up.  I will need to disassemble some binder clips to make them.  

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by jdbradford

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Glad to be of help Jeff. Those clips really do come in handy. I just had a look at your Fair American build. You are off to a great start.

Hi George. Here is another link you might find useful, if you haven't already seen it : http://www.captainsclerk.info/

The Navy used to have the contents of the Constitution CD on a web page, but it seems to have been taken down.

I actually have seen this one Tom, but never browsed completely. I plan to though. Thanks again!  :dancetl6:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

attachicon.gifDSC_0015-007.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0016-006.JPG

I turned the hull around and started adding the two remaining planks between the gun ports and the wales on this side. It took me over a month to get the port side where it is from this point, but hopefully I will have more time to work the starboard side so it won't take as long. We will see...

==================================================================

Are you butt joining the planking or using overlap?

Jeff

Edited by jdbradford

I still have a bunch of boxes left over for future expansion and since they are not folded yet they are easy to store too. I thought about gluing the boxes up into trays, but have left them as individual boxes as it is very easy to pull a single box from the bottom of the pile like a draw. I think this rack will work out nicely for me.

When I was finished i was reminded of the wand shop in the Harry Potter movies. I just hope these boxes don't start flying off the shelf by themselves. :)

=====================================================================================

The strip chooses the ship!

Jeff

Yes, I read on another post that you had to heat them because they were stainless steel. I didn't try them without heating, but that would be a quick experiment, I think. Hey at least you can start messing around with the extras you will be adding. I am doing that as I wait for planks to dry.

I wonder if something like this could work for cannon balls?

Jeff

post-14625-0-11361700-1431561286_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdbradford

I found that heating the balls to red hot and cooling allowed them to be stained black with the Blackening solution. Otherwise the chrome balls just wouldn't react to the chemicals.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Depending on the scale, the shot for slingshots would be way too big to be of any use at all on most models. About 1.5 mm is about the right size for this Connie.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Jeff - Thanks for looking in and all the likes. I'd say your Fair American is more than fair, although you can't fair too much on these ships  :D. All of the planking is butt jointed on mine, so no overlaps. I am not sure I have seen overlapping planking before.

The strip chooses the ship! - I love it!

George is right - it is finding small enough balls for the cannon balls that is the issue. Ball bearings work great, especially stainless steel. And Bill's method of heating the balls before blackening works great, which is the method I used.

When Constitution was built there were 5 other frigates commissioned with her. Would the stern decorations be similar on all the ships of a class? Were they influenced by the style of the time or the design of the actual builder? Would the Constellation, Philadelphia or United States be much different than Constitution?[/size]

[/size]

There is probably less known about the other ships but it might be something interesting to explore.[/size]

If I'm correct the constellation is in the same class as the congress. The Constitution, United States, and President are in the same class because the distance between perpendiculars is the same

Edited by Buick nut

Hi Tom,

I just finished reviewing your log…all I can say is logs like yours are why people like me (first time builder) take the plunge into this amazing hobby.

Can’t thank you enough for the wonderful level of detail and explanations….I’ll follow and learn as you continue the build   :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks Boyd. I was hesitant about starting a build log because I still feel so new to this, too, but I really enjoy it now. I love that it is helping other builders like yourself, but I learned a lot from other build logs too, and still do. I have to say, your Bounty is coming along really nicely and I am going to be following along with your log because I can learn from you too. Your interior details are just amazing.

For the rest, I should have an update tomorrow. I have been doing some work but have not had time to get the pictures off the camera.

Oh, and thanks for the information Buick Nut. I just recently saw the President plans in one of Chappel's books, which is pretty compelling evidence for six windows across the transom, but it was easier for me to just make 5.

As promised, here is an update on the small amount of work I have done in the last week or so.

Firstly, I finished and installed the chain pumps on the gun deck. I made some supports for the ends of the pump handles using my little lathe. I am not sure how the ends would have been supported but this worked for me. I made the handles by bending some 28 gauge wire. In these pictures you can also see the monkey rail for the spar deck, which I have extended down into the gun deck for strength. This required square holes in the two uprights for the horizontal piece to slide into. I used a smaller drill then some small square files to enlarge the holes until the bar fit.

post-1072-0-21989900-1432125594_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-89138100-1432125592_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-21192400-1432125595_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is a pretty tight fit around the main mast. But, I wanted to add a mast coat around the main mast hole, so I made one on the lathe. Again, I am not sure if there would be one on the gun deck. I also made some racks to hold cannon balls to go around the two hatches. I drilled holes in some strip wood using the XY table on the drill press and will fill them with the stainless steel ball bearings I blackened previously. Here is the mast coat being painted and the cannon ball racks being stained.

post-1072-0-97235900-1432125596_thumb.jpg

Also in that picture is a coaming for the stove. I realized where I had ended the gun deck section in the front covers about 75% of the stove, so I decided to add a low res version of the stove so there would be something black there if it could be seen. I am using this picture of the current stove as a guide.

post-1072-0-08593900-1432125554_thumb.jpg

Here are the stove pieces being assembled. I am only about half way done with the stove itself, but should have it done by the end of the week. I will probably add the pot holder too, just for fun.

post-1072-0-20053900-1432125596_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-61586700-1432125597_thumb.jpg

Outside of the workshop I am also working on the belaying pin plan. With my desire to use the U shaped rail and the monkey rail, I will not have as many belaying pins around the main mast as shown on the kit plans, by less than half. The Revell kit has belaying pins in the monkey rail, but the plans on the CD don't show holes for them and getting good holes through the bar seems a bit hard. So, I am going through an alternate belaying pin plan I found in the NRG Shop Notes II for the Constitution which shows less pins around the main mast. Also, I am planning only to show the three topsails on the finished model, which means I can eliminate the buntlines and leechlines for the other sails, which cuts down the number of pins I will need. I also will not be showing bowlines for any sails. I am still in the process of getting the final pins counts. I was also worried that I would not have as many pins on the bulwarks since I removed the bulwarks in the waist, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think I will be OK with the 11 pins shown on the U shaped rail or maybe just need to add 1 or 2 more pins to that rail. I'll let you all know when I have it figured out.

Thanks again for watching.

Boy oh boy, you've been busy Tom!  You're doing a fine job with the gun-deck furnishings. Not sure yet, to what extent I'll show the gun-deck, but have a lot of ideas floating around in this cavity I call a head.   :P

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Yeah George I do too. But, this will be about it for the gun deck. I am now thinking of leaving the ships boat off the hatch beams and show it along side the ship, so more of the gun deck can be seen. Maybe towed behind if that doesn't make the case even bigger than it needs to be now. We shall see...

I have been working on finishing up the gun deck details, and will have pictures soon. Thanks to Jay (Modeler12) I am adding the ammo scuttle covers, which are not quite done yet. I also am finishing up the stove and did some work on the main mast base, after making a tenon in the large dowel supplied for the main mast. I figured I better be able to fit this in place now before adding the spar deck beams and loosing the access to this area. I was going to make a bigger main mast coat for this deck, but there is not enough room between the pumps for one much bigger. I did replace the two handles between the pumps with straight wire because with the mast in place, there would not have been enough room between the handles and the mast.

I finished the belaying pin plan and it looks like I will be good with 11 pins on the U shaped rail, as shown on the plan, and not have to add pins to the monkey rail at the main mast. Also, six pins in the spider rail around the mizzen mast will be OK. This is all because there are enough belaying pins on racks on the bulwarks to take the lines I will need to rig, with some to spare. of course once I get into the actual rigging this may change, but I am not going to worry about that now. The next thing I need to do is finalize the standing rigging lines I need to rig, then figure out what sizes of line to use for each of standing and running lines. Then I will figure out how each of the lines will be run and how many blocks I will need of each type and size. All of this can be done as a background task while I am still working on the deck furniture and bow rails, but will need to be done before I start building the masts and spars.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far on the gun deck. I thought I was almost done, but read on...

I made up the stove, aft riding bitts, and main topsail sheet bitts.

post-1072-0-08215400-1432906040_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-22141700-1432906041_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-43222200-1432906042_thumb.jpg

There were all finished with oak stain. As you can see, one is cut off a little short, so I made two more so I have the fore bitts too. I drilled six holes for the simulated sieves and connected them with an awl. They are only 3/16" wide so too small for me anyway, to make from thin layers.

I also made  up the ammo scupper covers, using slices of dowel that I cut with the Byrnes saw. I added a small strip across the top, which is used to open them on the real ship, and painted them with Testers Brass enamel paint. I have to say that these metal colored paints like the gold and brass really cover nicely, as opposed from the ME brass paint that doesn't cover well at all.

post-1072-0-87995500-1432906041_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-04422500-1432906043_thumb.jpg

I added the pot holder to the stove using some black wire and a bent eyebolt as a hook. Here are pictures with the riding bitt, stove and coaming in place.

post-1072-0-75129800-1432906326_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-73755400-1432906327_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-29561300-1432906328_thumb.jpg

The problem is that the stove is too far forward for the chinmey to line up with the hatch and stove pipe on the spar deck, so I am going to remove them, remake the coaming, and add a box to the front of the stove. It would have good to check this BEFORE I made them, and certainly before I glued them in place! Sheech...

You can also see the cannon ball racks in place with the cannon balls. Here are pictures of the updated pumps with a straight wire between the pumps around the main mast.

post-1072-0-79689500-1432906541_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-77156100-1432906542_thumb.jpg

After I clean up the stove situation next week, I will be started to make the new deck beams. I kept the old beam sections that I cut off over a year ago and will use them as templates for the new beams. I am going to be cutting these from basswood sheet, and will shape them up in the new thickness sander I got for my birthday. I can't wait to play with that new toy.

Have a great weekend, all.

Amazing work there, Tom !!

With your launch now being towed astern, I think the view of the gun deck will make all your extra work pay off.

I'm looking forward to more photographs.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

You're doing a bang-up job on her Tom!  That gun-deck view will be awesome when it's done.  :dancetl6:

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks Steve and George, and for the likes, too.

I finished up the gun deck last night, for real this time, unless I mess it up with the work going on above it. I made new coaming sides for the bigger stove, stained them and glued them in. I added more to the front of the stove, painted it black and glued it into the coaming, them glued the riding bitts back in. One side of the bitts kept coming up from the deck, so I came up with an on the spot clamping technique that worked a treat.

post-1072-0-46326100-1433260768_thumb.jpg

So here is the new stove arrangement with the chimney the right distance from the fore mast, so the spar deck hatch will be in the right place.

post-1072-0-33650300-1433260769_thumb.jpg

And for completeness, the pump area with the ammo scuttle covers in place.

post-1072-0-46517100-1433260770_thumb.jpg

I then started on the spar deck beams that will go over this whole area. My first attempt was to cut out a single beam, using the old beams that I cut out over a year ago as a template. I traced it onto a piece of 3/16" basswood sheet, then cut it out with the scroll saw. I sanded the top to final shape, then attempted to use the thickness sander to get the underside to its final shape. I found that because the piece is curved, any little movement up and down caused the thickness to change, so it was coming out too thin is places. I decided that since i just got the thickness sander I am going to need more practice with flat strips before I attempt curved ones. So plan B was to roughly cut out all the beams on the scroll saw and lightly glue them together side by side.

post-1072-0-41411100-1433265928_thumb.jpg

When that was dry, I sanded the tops together using the belt sander, and the undersides using a large sanding disk in the drill press.

post-1072-0-36770700-1433265929_thumb.jpg

I then soaked the block in alcohol for about an hour and separated the beams. On a couple I had to wedge an X-Acto knife blade into the ends to get them started. As you can see, they were still a little rough.

post-1072-0-54666600-1433265930_thumb.jpg

I then cut them to length, using the old beams as templates. Here are the old beams, and the beam extensions that I left on the bulwarks to hold up the new beams.

post-1072-0-12521100-1433265933_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-11333500-1433265934_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-08511400-1433265935_thumb.jpg

I cut these a little long so I could sand them into a good fit. I don't want to have to do a lot of sanding of the beams once they are in place because I don't know how to keep the dust from getting onto the gun deck, so I am trying to fair them as much as possible off the model before attaching them. I still did not like the way the undersides looked, so I took some sandpaper and placed it on top of one of the old beams and clamped them into a vice, then sanded the underside of each beam. This worked pretty well and the beams looked much better. The next picture has a new beam on top of the sandpaper being sanded.

post-1072-0-44547100-1433265931_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-13348200-1433265936_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the beams in place before I sanded the ends.

post-1072-0-32182300-1433265932_thumb.jpg

Still more work to do but they are getting there.