US Brig Syren by _SalD_ – FINISHED - 3/16" scale

After reviewing a number of build logs here on MSW, I decided to assemble the middle rail a little differently than how it was shown in the instructions.  Instead of starting with the number ‘1’ piece of the middle rail I decided to temporarily set the number ‘2’ piece in position.  To hold the piece in place I drilled a small hole through the lower part of the rail and into the hull, similar to what I did for the upper rail, so I could insert an eye bolt into it.  The upper portion was held by the notch in the cap rail and sheer plank.

post-11922-0-14204800-1436796079_thumb.jpg

Now with piece 2 in place I was better able to position the number 1 piece.   After piece 1 was tapered and shorten to fit between the cheeks and piece 2, I thought the only way I would get a smooth transition between the two pieces would be to glue them together, before they were glued on the ship.  So with piece 2 just pinned in position I carefully glued piece 1 to it with a drop of CA glue, holding it in position until it set.   I used an abrasive buff on my dremel to sand the pieces down to their final shape being careful not to exert too much pressure near the seam.

Before                                                           After

post-11922-0-24459700-1436796340_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-95147300-1436796341_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-18952000-1436796343_thumb.jpg

The last thing I did before gluing the piece to the ship was to carve the groove and to stain it.  The piece was then glued on the ship and like the upper rail I used a shorter pin in place of the eye bolt to help secure it to the hull.  I worked on both the port and starboard rails at the same time which helped to make sure they were symmetrical about the knee.

post-11922-0-24714500-1436796084_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-00252000-1436796086_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-09040600-1436796087_thumb.jpgpost-11922-0-14299100-1436796088_thumb.jpg

In retrospect I’m glad I glued the two pieces together because I was able to get a nice transition between the two parts.  The only thing I don’t like is where the two pieces are joined together.  I think by using CA glue it didn’t stain well so you can see the seam between the two pieces.   Now I need to work on the hanging knee (piece 3).

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

P/S look identical......well done!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Your head rail is coming together very nicely! The middle rail is clearly one of the more challenging parts, and yours looks very good!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Head timbers, the little pieces of wood placed between the head rails,  :omg: !  These little pieces almost cause me to put this ship on the shelf.  After making a dozen or so pieces that went to scrap heap I finally came up with a solution that worked for me.  For my first few failed attempts I tried to make the pieces fit perfectly between the rails.  I found, however, that with these pieces being so small and having more angles than my crown molding, just a little too much sanding and the whole piece was no good.  What I finally did was to cut and sand the pieces to a rough shape that fit between the rails.  Next I glued the pieces in position using white glue to give me time to move them around.  Once the glue was set I did the final shaping of the pieces in place.  I did one set of head timbers at a time and tried to position them as shown in the manual.  Since I needed to sand the pieces in place I did not apply any stain or finish to them until after they were all installed. One big help in understanding how these pieces were placed, and I'd like to thank him for it, was a sketch made by Thomas (Gahm).  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/465-us-brig-syren-by-gahm-model-shipways/?p=185267.  Great help Thomas, thanks.

Starboard side finished

post-11922-0-74779400-1437403902_thumb.jpg post-11922-0-16506900-1437404250_thumb.jpg

Port side in place, not sanded

post-11922-0-71673600-1437403903_thumb.jpg post-11922-0-50815400-1437403904_thumb.jpg

Port side sanded

post-11922-0-51374900-1437403905_thumb.jpg

To sand the pieces in place I didn’t make such elaborate sanding sticks as Thomas did but cut up an emery board to make some custom sanding shapes.

post-11922-0-14537400-1437404468_thumb.jpg

Since I was pleased with the way the head timbers came out I figured I’d keep going and finish the top rails.  These pieces were done as described in the manual and were somewhat anticlimactic after the other rails and head timbers, but I’m not complaining.

post-11922-0-23769600-1437404466_thumb.jpg post-11922-0-26977900-1437404467_thumb.jpg

post-11922-0-16570000-1437404469_thumb.jpg post-11922-0-05545200-1437404470_thumb.jpg

The bumpkins were also made but not installed at this time for two reasons.  One, after reading Chuck’s original build log for the Syren, he recommended leaving them off until after rigging the gammoning for the bowsprit and secondly, I’m not exactly sure where these pieces are mounted to the hull.  I'm thinking that end of the bumpkin goes below the sheer stake and aft of the lower eye bolt that's mounted to the hull.  If anyone can enlighten me I’d appreciate it.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Hahaha, yes these head timber sux big times ... I hated them.

Dirk

Thanks Dirk, and you're so right, they sucked big time.

Thanks Jim, can't wait until you start yours.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Came out terrifically.  Well worth the effort!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

George, Richard, Eric, Brian, thank you all for the nice compliments.

Richard, just take your time and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Eric, I like those kind of logs myself that's why I try to explain what I've done but without getting too long winded.

Thanks for all the likes also.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to show for this update, I’ve been getting all the parts ready to install along the inward bulwarks plus the Admiral bought a new washer & dryer so I needed to paint the laundry room.

I cut most of the pin rails out of 1/16 x 1/8 basswood strips and used a 1/16 x 1/4 strip for the ones along the curved bow. Added pins to help secure them to the bulwarks and cut out the drawing showing the pin rails to use them as templates to locate the holes for the belaying pins. 

post-11922-0-60653400-1438605792_thumb.jpg

I tried to file the cleats down to get them a little more scale appropriate but they are very hard to hold onto.  I also added pins to the back of each cleat. Cut out the swivel brackets from the laser cut sheet and gave everything a couple coats of paint before I install them.  I still need to make all the split rings. 

post-11922-0-18351300-1438605794_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

The time you are spending pinning the rails and cleats has been well spent and will prove itself during rigging.  Use the same process for the channels.

Looking good.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks George and Augie.  I realize the pins are a good idea to help hold everything in place, now I have to start drill all the holes.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Sal, try using a hemostat to hold the cleats while you file them. It works pretty well for me, anyway.

Hemostat, duh,.. I have one of those too and just didn't think of it, thanks Tom.

Thanks captainscott for looking in and the kind words and thank you all for all the likes.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete