HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

The window frames themselves were photo etch that came with the kit, but with a jig they could easily be made up using styrene or strip wood. If you have a good hobby shop near you, see if they stock Evergreen or Plastruct strips for the styrene option, or Mt Albert Scale Lumber for the strip wood option.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Hamilton,

I guess I got twisted around a bit on quarter galleries vs. quarter badges.  :)   What Goodwin shows is a quarter gallery.. albeit a small one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Andy - there's a model train specialty store close to me that carries styrene - I may go that route.

Mark - actually, you were on the money since Goodwin shows both quarter galleries and quarterbadges.....our house is in a bit of disarray at the moment with the painters having essentially taken over our main living area....so no modelling in my immediate future as impatient as I am to continue with the quarter galleries....I managed to construct a roof for the starboard side quarter gallery last night, and while I'm happy with the shape, I'm not sure about the scale - it might be a tad too big....so I might re-make it starting whenever I can get back to the bench.....until then....hope the rest of you are having fun

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton,

That's what I had to do with the Constellation's quarter galleries and it looks like I'll have to do it again with the Licorne.  There just isn't a top view of them on the plans.  :huh:    One thing, before you glue anything down on one side, make darn sure the same part is the same size for the opposite side.  Twas a lesson learned the hard way.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Funny you mention that, Mark - I almost glued the roof of the starbard side quarter gallery to the model, thinking that it would be easier to get a sense of proportion and install the windows & bottom part afterwards - but something held me back, fortunately! The good news is that I've already transferred the basic outline of the port side quarter gallery onto the appropriate wood stock. I think I will attempt to build up the quarter galleries before installing them rather than constructing as I install the components....There are a couple of elements I'm still trying to wrap my head around.....very tricky

hamilton 

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Might be too late for this... but hold off gluing unless it's spot gluing  you can remove later.  You want to align tops, bottom, and the philisters between the two.  Once you're happy, then glue.  I took photos during my process and could compare both sides at once. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark! - I've managed now to (almost) finish the starboard side quarter gallery and am very happy with the results. I cut all the parts for both quarter galleries at the same time to ensure they will be of equal size. And I'll wait until both are complete before attaching them to the hull....Here's the process

Each quarter gallery is built up out of 7 strips - 2 5mm x 5mm strips for the roof and the lower part; 2 5mm x 3mm strips as a false backing for the windows; 2 6mm x .5mm strips for the sill and head of the windows; and 1 3mm X 1mm strip for a finishing strip on the top. I shaped all the pieces according to a curve I determined.

post-304-0-02599100-1371284338_thumb.jpg

I then shaped the pieces to get the appropriate cant into the quarter gallery.

post-304-0-60078100-1371284379_thumb.jpg

Next step was to finish the pieces - I stained the rood and the bottom piece and all other parts were painted black.

post-304-0-60033500-1371284436_thumb.jpg

I then assembled it and added posts using 2mm x 2mm walnut.

post-304-0-15529600-1371284481_thumb.jpg

Finally, the window frames were added using 1mm x 1mm strip wood, painted white

post-304-0-27099000-1371284529_thumb.jpg

Here is a comparison between the kit supplied part and the one I made.

post-304-0-22162200-1371284575_thumb.jpg

I still need to add a fnishing piece at the bottom, which I will attempt to make out of sculpy, since I need to do some shaping and my carving skills are nonexistent. Tomorrow I'll do the port side quarter gallery, and then spend the following night making the sculpy finishing pieces and designing the scratch built transom....lots of fun ahead!

hamilton

Now that's inspirational.  You've taken something I wouldn't even consider possible and made it look doable.  I'm going to try this the next time around.

Hearty thanks for posting the process.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yes Sir, here comes the scratch build...

Maybe in future, we will follow your build carried away to the scratch... ;-)

Perfect: Colors... Shape... Idea... Skill... Handling...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

post-76-0-86301900-1371341470.gif Wow!!!! Looks fantastic!!!  Great choice of woods and colors.  You should be really pleased with these.  post-76-0-20700300-1371341471.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks a lot Andy, Augie, Ferit & Mark! Your compliments mean a lot - especially coming from such great craftsmen. I don't know about going to the dark side......yet....though in secret I've been looking at a couple of lumberyard kits.....

Tonight I finished the port side quarter gallery, and so now it's a nice pair. I still have to make the decorative finishing elements on the bottom of both pieces. I'll do this tomorrow. Here's how they currently look on the model.

post-304-0-50511300-1371364602_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-26822400-1371364625_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-18042600-1371364650_thumb.jpg

Next up is the transom - I have to say that I feel a lot more confident in making this now that I've made the quarter galleries. It's not going to be incredibly decorative, though I've been on the hunt for things that I could use as decorations in a pinch....Hopefully I'll be able to build the transom in such a way that I can add elements (if I find them) later but if I don't it'll still look ok....

Until next time

hamilton

Nothing left to say.  BIG improvement and a great job.  Looking forward to the transom.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Ferit, Andy, Augie and BE!!

It was definitely worth the effort, though some refinements could have been made - particularly with the window frames....A thinner styrene instead of 1mm x 1mm basswood might have made for a cleaner finish....

In any case, last night I started on the transom and though my mind is a little muddled on how to put it together and finish it off, I'm confident that it will look at least a little better than the horrendous part supplied with the kit.....

I will post photos documenting and explaining my approach to building it once it's all done - I've just got the cabin windows and frames completed now and will begin planking it up sometime soon - maybe tonight or Thursday.....hopefully it will be all done by the end of the weekend and I can move on to some more straightforward elements of the build!

hamilton

Thanks ZyXuz - much appreciated!

hamilton

Well Hamilton, you've really gone and done it now, with such a superb fix you've given yourself one big confidence boost. The world is now your oyster.

Very well done my friend.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Cheers Mobbsie! I'm actually gaining quite a bit of confidence - the trick is not gaining too much!!

hamilton

Well everyone, the transom is almost finished - I have some decorations to add, but I'll save this for a future post. For now, I'll explain how I went about things.

1. Cabin windows: after a lot of thought about how to approach things, I decided to first construct and install the cabin windows and then plank around them. I made this backing out of 1/32" basswood - The shape of it was based on the angle of the stern framing installed earlier.

post-304-0-18554800-1400734151_thumb.jpg

The window frames were at first a bit of a challenge - given that the area of the windows is much smaller than the quarter galleries. Fortunately, I found these brass tail gates at a local model train shop - I thought I could adapt them as window frames. 

post-304-0-94938900-1400734226_thumb.jpg

I trimmed the brass parts to leave a basic frame - I eventually trimmed 5 and laid them across the window backing to get a sense of spacing.

post-304-0-88065500-1400734273_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-38387500-1400734339_thumb.jpg

The backing was then painted black, and the frames painted white. I then glued the centre frame and added 1mm x 1mm strips (also white) as vertical frames. I finished off the assembly with some white 1mm x 1mm strips at top and bottom. The whole assembly was then fixed on the model. Here it is.

post-304-0-05030100-1400734391_thumb.jpg

2. Planking: The planking was done with 3mm x 1.5mm basswood, except for the planks immediately above and below the windows, which were spiled from a 1.5mm sheet. Here they are, with the upper plank stained Golden Oak and the lower one painted blue - this is the strip on which the name plate will be fixed - another future addition.

post-304-0-04268400-1400734429_thumb.jpg

Here is the basic planking finished on the transom

post-304-0-65315400-1400734612_thumb.jpg

3. Moldings: I added a curved piece around the edge of the transom - cut from 1/32" sheet & painted blue (I don't know if this feature has a name....can anyone enlighten me?). I also added some 1mm x 1mm moldings as well as a 1mm x 2mm curved molding on the inside of the curved transom piece. 

I started by making a template and tracing it onto the sheet:

post-304-0-04347300-1400734663_thumb.jpg

I then simply cut it out, painted it and installed it:

post-304-0-64128700-1400734939_thumb.jpg

Then the moldings went on - painted black....

post-304-0-34602400-1400734994_thumb.jpg

4. Cap rail: I then fabricated the cap rail. This was spiled from a 1mm x 6mm strip. It needed to be thicker across the top (the taff rail) and tapered around the quarter galleries. A little tricky but not too bad - also painted black. Here it is....

post-304-0-56301700-1400735152_thumb.jpg

And here is the transom again and a closer shot with cap rail installed.

post-304-0-64201500-1400735216_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-05917700-1400735256_thumb.jpg

And here, for comparison, is the part supplied by Corel....

post-304-0-20141700-1400735303_thumb.jpg

So that's it...I have to say that I'm quite relived that this part of the build is done. It was a lot of fun puzzling the transom out and putting it together and even though it's not perfect, I'm very pleased with the results. One thing I tried to do and didn't was to apply the name to the lower strip on the transom. I had a sheet of dry transfer letters, but they were black, so they did not really show up - I'm going to try to find some white lettering and apply it to a .5mm x 5mm strip to add later....

I also bought some brass bare tree frames from the model train shop, which I'm going to use as decorative elements on the bulwarks and transom - later for that, though.

In the meantime, I've begin to install the cap rails & frame ends for the open bulwarks. I'll update this once it's done. For now - hope you're all having a great weekend and happy summer!!

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

Well, I'm impressed.  The quarter galleries and transom represent both your innovative thinking and craftsmanship.  I'll wager that your eye will always be drawn to these features even many years from now.

I SALUTE YOU!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

What an improvement! That transom looks much better than that lump-o-metal. I am in sort of agreement with BE over the windows, but whether you feel like changing them is up to you, it still looks good either way. This really is your boat now, there's no mistaking it! :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

For what it's worth, I really like those honeycomb shaped windows.  You can tell folks you brought in bees as consultants.

Heck, I use spiders for rigging (as does Jim Lad).  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Ferit, BE, Augie & Andy!

Clearly I didn't do enough research to lead me away from the diamond-shaped windows....though now that I look at Goodwin's AOS Blandford again I see that none of the transom drawings have this type of window frame....I'm not sure I'll replace them, though, since I spent so much money and time on them and despite historical inaccuracy, I think they look alright and add some interest to the build....sorry!

I'm actually more concerned with a structural aspect of the model that will somewhat skew the otherwise nice-looking open bulwarks on the blandford...I had the suspicion some time ago that the quarter galleries and forecastle were too high by about 2-3mm...but I didn't do anything about it, since I wasn't really sure and making the adjustments would have involved me cutting new bulkhead frames - for which I do not have the appropriate tools. Anyway, you'll see what I mean in a future post.

In the meantime, I still have to figure out the decorative details on the transom and at the bottom of the quarter galleries, so technically this part of the build is not quite over....

Thanks again all for the comments and support - much appreciated!

hamilton

What are you thinking of for carvings? I see on the old lump a lion and unicorn from the British coat of arms, and the Prince Of Wales feathers from the present day HMS Victory.... Does the AOS book have any ideas, or are you left on your own?

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy:

To tell you the truth I'm not sure....BE also pointed out that Corel seems to have lifted the transom decoration from the Victory. Goodwin shows a few options - some with figure carvings, some with just decorative patterns similar to those on your Pegasus bulwarks....

I've said before that my carving skills are non-existent, so I don't think I'm going to be making anything.....not at this stage of my modelling career anyway. This means I'll have to try and find something....this could prove an endless search. I do have some brass bare tree frames purchased from a model train store a while ago. I had thought of using clippings from the tree branches to render the decorations on the transom and bulwarks, but maybe I'll post a picture of these brass parts to see what the consensus is first....However, I don't really have a backup....

hamilton