HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

got a coat of high build primer attatched- beware of mixing primers as they reacted with each other! Not a real problem as most will be sanded back to give a smoother base for the copper plates. Also glued the three pieces for the rudder together- the poor admirals clothes pegs get violated once more :P

post-12326-0-17446800-1410097303_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-72901200-1410097322_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-22564500-1410097340_thumb.jpg

Keith

Thanks to Cornwall Model Boats and £50 of her majesties sterling i have taken delivery of the sergal 1/78 HMS Victory castings set- pricey but worth it as the billings scrolls etc for the stern were just plain with no relief- some of the castings are way oversize for 1/78 scale by my reckoning though as they are the same size or bigger than the billings laser cut ply.

post-12326-0-71533800-1410200479_thumb.jpg

Laser cut billings decoration towards bottom of pic.

Keith

Edited by clearway

Ty for the likes everyone, Hi Lawrence- since that photo the primer has been sanded back and the bottoms had a final coat of grey primer. I will be using copper plates cut from self adhesive copper tape (dolls house tape). Took another shot to show the castings compared to to billings laser cut ply ones- either billings are under scale or sergal are over scale!

post-12326-0-60661800-1410464707_thumb.jpg

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying out the wooden scrolls,etc for the stern and i have to agree they are very disappointing  Not sure yet what solution will be ,either try carving my own ,or vinering over the supplied ones ,both options mean a considerable amount of carving which is new to me but then most things are !! look forward to seeing yours fitted may give me some other ideas . 

Boyd

Great looking build, Keith.  My Vic is in it's infancy;  when I try to focus for awhile on one build, I try not to look at other build posts.  However, as a confirmed shipaholic, I couldn't help myself;  so I dropped in on your fine build log once again.  Will I be tempted to work on the Victory and abandon the CS for awhile?  We'll see what tomorrow brings.... :D

Cheers!

~Bob

Greetings Keith

Yep the castings look excellentl , and your build has been outstanding from the very beginning. Ok there is a slight difference in the casting sizes, but will be no problem to you, and if you had not said anything , bet none of us would know. Keep enjoying it Keith , cracking work .DAVID

Thanks everyone, been doing some 1/35 scale armour for the last week or so- needed a break from ships for a while! Boyd i was thinking about building up the wooden supplied scroll work but as i am painting mine decided to buy the castings- wood the brass castings not look ok left au natural on your wood finish(i love the look of polished brass)? and Bob i left my cutty because of no workshop facilities and other projects and it was 12 years before i finished her off :P

Keith

Now there,s an idea i hadn,t thought of , and would save possibly disasterous carving experiment ,and as you say brass with natural wood looks well  Thanks Keith i think i,ll give it a try , have to order a few more pieces from cornwall shortly anyway 

Boyd

• 1 month later...

Looks great , you have to admit the germans knew how to design good lookin tanks , i always prefered them to the allied .You seem to have it down to a fine art , congrats . What do you do with all the finished models , i put mine in plastic bags ,boxes and stored in the attic

Edited by shihawk

• 2 months later...

Sorry Boyd didn't see the reply till now! they go on a shelf in the workshop. Back to Victory after a 4 month break with the german kitties! Was nice enough outside on Saturday to get the decks sanded back a little after opening out the holes for masts, hatches etc. Also added a little more timber between the windows.

must admit it has been nice getting back to my baby

post-12326-0-91008600-1423420310_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-40966400-1423420331_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-50918400-1423420366_thumb.jpg

Edited by clearway

Very nice work Keith. Very well done. I am going to have to keep dabs on this one. I just subscribed to this forum not long ago. Nice King Tiger too BTW... I am also a big fan of German Armor... Kitties especially. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith  .I seem to remember you mentioned replacing the chainplates and wondered if you had any simple solutions . I have just spent a couple of days trying to figure the best method and to be honest ,although i have just posted my attempt , i,m not convinced it,s the best way . Just wondered if you had any tricks up your sleave before i go much further .    Good to see we have another Billings Vic builder joining us !!

Hi Boyd, yes another billings victory builder on the forum. To make my chainplates i have designed a jig using three pieces rod- two fit in the deadeye the other is for the strop. I will wrap the wire around the deadeye and strop former then solder the join- i will be using tin coated copper wire, For the other links i will use a piece of dowel shaped into a former and wrap the wire a few turns around that as mentioned in your log. Best use the hull to take the strain of the rigging as opposed to the chainplates- you shouldn't have your shrouds so tight you pull the links apart.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Ty all for the positive comments and likes. Done a little demo of the jig and a deadeye "stropped" in it for Boyd. Also applied a couple of coats of black to parts of the stern and quarter galleries and applied a thinned down coat of humbrol matt no.74 "linen"mixed 70/30 as a priming coat. Have decided to use this colour for the yellow on the hull.

post-12326-0-77287400-1424804496_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-75226500-1424804547_thumb.jpg

Hope these help explain what i mentioned earlier  Boyd

Below is a shot of the paint so far. When the paint has hardened enough will lightly file back any wood grain that is "furring" the paint.

post-12326-0-35248200-1424804667_thumb.jpg

As an aside i haven't touched a cigarette for over 4 months now, but still get an urge after a session modelling, but for now i have beaten the evil weed- hopefully for good :P.

Keith

Thanks for the demo of the jig ,Im still not happy with the way the links etc are turning out and to make matters worse i have taken it into my head that i want to keep the chainplates brass !! .My soldering is useless to say the least ,have spent a lot of time learning about tinning and several other methods but none seem to work so i may resort to a variation with the Billings parts.   I need to think about it for a while so sorry to have wasted your time . Your galleries look great ,seems a long time ago since i was at mine .

Funny you should mention the smokes ,as a 40  aday man i.m trying e-lights and am down to 20 ,but patience and concentration are suffering . Well done for stoping ,i have been trying for years !!!

Ty  Frank all support appreciated on the ciggy front :D Boyd, if you are using brass wire you may not need to solder the joins as the brass is fairly stiff and will stand up to slight tension- i never solder any brass rings i have made to hold pulleys and rigging in place- though being an electronics technician and having studied engineering at least my soldering skills are O.K. if not always used. Best advise is make sure the surfaces to be soldered are spotless and if not using cored solder dont scrimp on the flux. As to quitting the cigs i was on 40 roll ups a day, but got myself out of the habit of sparking up as soon as i woke up and wouldn.t have a cig for a couple of hours and weaned back from then. The e-cigs helped but after a while just went cold turkey.

Keith

Edited by clearway

Things moving slowly- need to finish stern before i can really get to work on the rest of the hull as i hold her amidships between my legs as i am working on the stern! Second coat of yellow on and some more decoration- still need to tidy up some of the edges.

post-12326-0-24313700-1425143532_thumb.jpg

also need some nice weather so i can sand the lining for the un-lidded gunports back which deffo is not going to be this weekend by the looks of things outside!

Keith