How I make Clue (Clew) Blocks by Dan Vadas

Hi all,

Here's a small "tutorial" on how I make the rather tricky Clue (aka Clew) Blocks. The ones here are scale 9" blocks and are just 4.5mm long in 1:48 scale. I'm also making 8" and 6" blocks using the same techniques.

I start by cutting the stock for as many as I need from English Box. I find this the best wood to use for these as it has no grain and is very dense, important features on something this small that requires a number of holes.

Next I set the 0.020" kerf blade on the table saw to cut a shallow groove for the sheaves.

Then I drill the sheave holes using my mill - saves a lot of time and ensures accuracy, but it can be done using a Dremel or Pin Vise. Here's a pic up to this stage :

Clue Blocks 010.jpg

Back to the table saw again, and I cut the various steps required :

Clue Blocks 001.jpg

Clue Blocks 002.jpg

Using a very narrow chisel made from an Xacto blade I clean up the holes and round off the shoulders of the "sheaves". This not only improves the look of them but makes the line pass through them more realistically. The two blocks on the right in this pic have been shaped :

Clue Blocks.jpg

Next I drill the two holes for the strop through the head of the block using a Pin Vise :

Clue Blocks 003.jpg

A sanding stick fitted with 240 grit paper is used to shape the head of the block in both planes, and I cut the **** of the block with a sharp Xacto. The sides of the block are rounded with a small flat needle file :

Clue Blocks 004.jpg

Clue Blocks 005.jpg

Once detached from the stock I tidy the rest of the block up with the sanding stick, and also cut a notch for the strop (that stops it from slipping off the block later on). Here's the finished article, the coin measures about 19mm in diameter :

Clue Blocks 006.jpg

Clue Blocks 009.jpg

I use most of the above techniques for making all my blocks, the only real variation to these is the shaping of the head of the block and the drilling of the two strop holes. On normal blocks I use the table saw to cut a 2nd shallow groove in the stock for the strop.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

This is how I tie the strops to the clue blocks. Below is a pic from TFFM on the configuration of the Clue block, Sheet block and Tack at the foot of the sail.  Note that the clue block strop has a large eye to enable it to turn around the eye in the boltrope :

Clue Block Strop 001.jpg

First step is to tie the seizing for the eye. Here's the setup I use. The wire hook gives me more room to work the seizing around the strop :

Clue Block Strop 005.jpg

I start by tying the seizing with a single knot around the strop :

Clue Block Strop 006.jpg

Then I apply some dilute PVA and tie 2 half-hitches around the strop. This gives the effect of a siezing and won't come undone later on :

Clue Block Strop 007.jpg

Next I turn the block/strop assembly around in the vise and tie a single knot around the **** of the block :

Clue Block Strop 009.jpg

Clue Block Strop 003.jpg

More PVA is applied to the knot and I pull it tight :

Clue Block Strop 010.jpg

Clue Block Strop 004.jpg

Continued in next post ........

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

....... continued

Once the glue has dried I trim off the tails of the seizings with sharp sidecutters. The tails of the "splice" in the strop are cut with an Xacto knife :

Clue Block Strop 011.jpg

Clue Block Strop 012.jpg

Clue Block Strop 013.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nicely shown, as always a big thank you!!!

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html