Domanoff serving machine 2.0 or 2.5

I'm going to order the Domanoff serving machine and I'm not sure if I should go with the powered or non-powered unit.

I know lots of people have these machines and I would really like to know if the power is needed or not.  Also if you have the non-powered version; do you wish you got the powered one (and vice versa)?

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

I agree with Brian, although I did make an addition to mine. Check it out on the link below.

Modification to Serving Machine

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have the Domanoff Prozak and am very happy with the workmanship and the functioning. The limitation is how high can you hang it.  I'm able to make 6' strands and that has worked out OK for me.  I've also seen the Domanoff serving machine and it's a quality piece of equipment.  I think you'll be happy with what you get.

Is it only 6 foot or is that a limit set by the door height?  I'm just curious if one hung it say out of a second floor window?   On the other hand, I have his planetary and the only limit is the spool sizes. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Brian. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have a home-built serving machine that is powered by a sewing machine motor with a foot-pedal control. No question in my mind that powered is better for me. I typically want both hands close to the point of serving. It would seem very awkward to have to turn a crank with one hand while guiding the serving thread with the other. That said, I do, from time to time, have to back up and "un-serve" a bit because I screwed up somehow and in that instance, I have to turn the thing by hand since the motor doesn't reverse. But that's only for a short distance. I can serve about 18 inches at a time and with that amount of length, it's nice to have the motor power. Of course, this doesn't mean that a hand-powered unit won't work. It's like the difference between drilling a hole with a pin vise versus a Dremel. They'll both get the job done eventually.

Cheers -

John

I've got the powered version, and totally agree with John above regarding having two hands to guide the serving thread. The Domanov machine has a reverse for "unseizing" when you inevitably screw up (or want to use it backwards if you find that easier), but I found it better to undo any stuff-ups by turning it by hand. It also has a variable speed control - most of the time I use a setting just above the slowest.

The modification by Hornet for the spool holder is a good one - I WAS going to do the same to mine but still haven't got around to it :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Another modification I made  to the powered version was to replace the perspex brackets holding the spools with ones I bent up from some scrap aluminium. I found that the perspex ones flexed too much for my liking and I had difficulty getting them to hold the spool firmly enough. The aluminium ones fixed the problem.

post-1505-0-60996600-1439602300_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina