Spanish galleon by Chrome - scale 1:1500 - Bottle

So, I've been having a couple really small craft store bottles lying around the hobby area for quite some time not knowing what to do with them. The body of the bottles are roughly 25mm high and I bought the bottles on a whim because I found them adorable.

A couple days ago I got an idea; why not make a ship in a bottle from one of them?

I haven't gotten far on the build but I did manage to do a bunch before I realised I wanted to log it so there aren't many pictures on the prep work nor on the initial stages, but the hull is simply ice cream sticks held together by two tooth pick plugs. 

post-20200-0-18015300-1439984688.jpg

I made the rudder and the balcony by sanding a piece of wood and then dousing it in super glue to make it able to withstand the force of filing and cutting the pieces to shape.

post-20200-0-89592900-1439984688.jpg

I tried fitting the tip od a needle as a front mast but I'm still not convinced it feels ok scale-wise.

post-20200-0-11295700-1439984505_thumb.jpg

Today I gave her railings and some hull details made from brass etch sprues(or whatever it is actually called when it has nothing to do with injection moulding) that I had lying about.

post-20200-0-12804300-1439984506_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-67962200-1439984506_thumb.jpg

I might have to dye the wood if I'm going to keep working with brass, it definitely doesn't combine well on camera.

Also, I've started contemplating not making it a bottled ship but instead just go crazy on details. I'm feeling a little torn there.

Edited by Chrome

Hi Chrome!

Start of construction impresses me!

I hasten to take a seat next to Patrick!

Will you let me say a few of my thoughts about some of the details?

Best Regards!

Igor.

Please do!

Input is what I'm here for, and I've been peeping on your logs a bit, input from you would be highly valued! :)

Hi Chrome

Now that's one very sweet looking hull you're building!!! I'm going to be looking forward to following along.

Mind if I pull up a front row seat?

Cheers

Patrick

Just finished looking through some of your logs as well now. I'm in awe of both of you!

There has been a slight build up of performance anxiety now, I'm not worthy. :D

Just finished looking through some of your logs as well now. I'm in awe of both of you!

There has been a slight build up of performance anxiety now, I'm not worthy. :D

Hi Chrome

Performance anxiety??? Nah. As long as you're enjoying your build, so are we all. I'm looking forward to seeing how you pull it all together! I must admit that the use of photo etched brass on the hull is also a stroke of genius.

If ever you need help, there's a whole bunch of us on the Forum who'd be willing to assist.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

OK, Chrome!

I usually try to use for small models solid wood species such as pear, hornbeams etc or you can glue the planks of hard wood on the hull of model. In addition, if you use the planks of wood in different colors you do not need to paint the model. For me, the problem is always good to paint small model.

Masts and yards... I like to use bamboo to make them. It is easily processed and I can do the holes of 0.3-0.5 mm in them if necessary.

What yarns you are going to use for rigging?

Are uou going to make the guns?

Best Regards!

Igor.

P.S. Chrome, I think that the scale of 1/15000 is not quite correct. Perhaps the scale of 1/1500 would be more correct.

Hi Chrome

Performance anxiety??? Nah. As long as you're enjoying your build, so are we all. I'm looking forward to seeing how you pull it all together! I must admit that the use of photo etched brass on the hull is also a stroke of genius.

If ever you need help, there's a whole bunch of us on the Forum who'd be willing to assist.

All the best

Patrick

Oh, I'm certainly enjoying it! And with this being the first build I've ever done in this scale or from scratch for that matter it's a whole new learning experience for me. It's safe to say that I'll be drawing a lot of inspiration and ideas from wherever I can find it. :)

OK, Chrome!

I usually try to use for small models solid wood species such as pear, hornbeams etc or you can glue the planks of hard wood on the hull of model. In addition, if you use the planks of wood in different colors you do not need to paint the model. For me, the problem is always good to paint small model.

Masts and yards... I like to use bamboo to make them. It is easily processed and I can do the holes of 0.3-0.5 mm in them if necessary.

What yarns you are going to use for rigging?

Are uou going to make the guns?

Best Regards!

Igor.

P.S. Chrome, I think that the scale of 1/15000 is not quite correct. Perhaps the scale of 1/1500 would be more correct.

I'm not sure what type of thread to use for rigging, I've been contemplating straight up using hairs or strands from copper wire, but if you have any suggestions I'm all open for them!

I do want to try to build the cannons, I have some 0.3 wire that I think might be just enough to simulate the body, and I think I could use the brass to make the carriage. Not sure if there's any point in making wheels though.

And you're absolutely right about the scale! I seem to have slipped an extra zero in there, getting right on correcting that. :D

Thank you guys!

Tony

I see another fine SIB coming along.  Leave a chair for me.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice work on the galleon...  I'm going to follow also as this miniature stuff fascinates me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Today I made a cannon, pretty pleased with it but I do wonder if I might be able to give them wheels. Pin for size reference.

attachicon.gif11903829_1177721678910828_8042543739681504987_n.jpg

Hi Tony,

Yesterday, I also have tried to make small guns using needles.

Ø 0.6 mm

post-17539-0-37589200-1440141472_thumb.jpg

Ø 0.4 mm

post-17539-0-30411700-1440141485_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-97518000-1440141499_thumb.jpg

post-17539-0-49351600-1440141512_thumb.jpg

I think that the wheels can be simulated if done at the base of the gun transverse grooves and glue the rods of the desired diameter.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Tony

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Igor has a giant matchstick.  You, on the other hand, have a giant matchstick, as well as a giant dowel to rest your ship on!!!! You two must be competing against each other  :P  :D  ;)

On a more serious note, your cannons look good and Igor's idea about the carriages also looks like it's a real goer.  Regardless of whether you put the carriages on or not, I reckon she's gonna turn out brilliantly.

Nice!  Look forward to your next update.  

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I have decided not to go with any carriage this time, but I was curious whether I was able to actually make one so small...

Well, I think I did alright. But I seriously need to get myself a magnifying glass of some kind... And a camera that can give better details on pics like this one.

post-20200-0-43061200-1440252681_thumb.jpg

This morning was spent making the decorative shields that go on the aft of the ship.

They were made out of a 0.2mm aluminium sheet that used to be a soda can.

I also started milling the masts out of bamboo toothpicks. Thanks for that tip, Igor! Never thought bamboo would be that resilient even at that scale, it's a dream to work with!

post-20200-0-63078500-1440275020_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-06917000-1440275020_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-08242900-1440275021_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-98317300-1440275018_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Oh, and thank you for the birthday wishes Patrick!

She's looking good.  Yes, bamboo is nice to work with.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Masts have been milled, bad words have been spoken, often and loudly, but in the end I believe I came out on top.

They're a bit uneven now that I look at the photos, but they do say that the camera adds a few pounds and why shouldn't that apply to scale models, hmm? 

What do you guys think?

post-20200-0-72024300-1440356933_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-78414300-1440356932_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-24815600-1440356934_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Tony

Hi Chrome. Just came across your build. Looking good so far. Saw your first picture and thought Igor was lending out some of his giant matches. Hard to believe something so small can have that much detail. Keep it up

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale