Of course a mill makes this easy to do but you can accomplish the same result with a chisel. It needs to be very well honed (most newly purchased chisels are not) and the proper width for the mortise. Score stop cuts on the sides and bottom first then remove the wood in between with light passes. {practice on some scrap first!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Instead of using chisel, it might be easier and safer to cut rough slots using scroll/band saw and finish them with a file. 

P.S.: yes, my chiseling skills are really bad (so far), but just pointing that there are other easy options too.

• 2 weeks later...

I use this technique.  I cut the sides of the mortise with a razor saw, holding the keel in a vise.  Make sure to cut equally on both sides and just up to the depth you want (mark it).  Then I put the point of an exacto blade (in the holder) in between the two cuts and a sharp tap with a mini hammer knocks the mortise out.  I don't know how well this will work with plywood.  It works best with solid wood and you must be cross cutting with the saw and knocking out the mortise with the grain.

I used a variation of Mike's idea. I cut the slots on the model table saw with a dado washer.  Once the slots are cut (undersize them a bit), I final size and shape with a file.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Where did you find a dado washer? I have something like that for my 10' table saw (I eventually switched to stacked carbide). I looked for a dado washer for my Dremel 580 and never found anything. Do you think it could be something you grind yourself? My guess it would take a huge amount of "trial and error" to cut a washer which would cut an exact width.

Best,

John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

John,

I have the MM table saw and they sold some for that saw.  I don't know if they sell them for the new model they just brought out.  Also, you have to use the "original" 80 tooth blade.

As for the 10" saw,  I know they make dado blades and I've also heard of folks stacking blades to make a dado.  I suppose one could make their own dado washers... a bit of Googling might be in order to see if there's a safety problem.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Daniel,

I use chisels and now I have the mini table saw that will help me in recesses. A milling machine is nice but not necessary. This is not the only way as you have read here.

Dave Stevens of lumberyard has some pretty slick ways on how he does recesses of all sorts. You can get some ideas from a couple of his build logs here....

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9809-general-hunter-1809-by-dave-stevens/

http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?186

I hope this helps.

Mario

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER