Charon Boatman of the River Styx by bensid54

• 4 weeks later...

Shaping mainly done, I then cut and separated the forearm and hand. The forearm and hand are threaded to allow the insertion of the "wrist" stud that is actually a pivot point between the forearm and wrist. The stud threads will hold the two pieces together and have the threads to rotate on.

post-12226-0-01940600-1466873688_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-23306500-1466873691_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-81261700-1466873693_thumb.jpg

Great to see this update Ben, coming along nicely.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...

Been a while since my last posting and I've elected to scrap all previous Charon's to start on the final one. The final Charon is going to be smaller than originally planned due to my lack of storage space. He is also going to look something like Terminator until I cover him with his clock. I have started making him out of brass as his main structure, the first pictures are the progress of his waist. 

Unmachined Charon waist 3.jpg

Unmachined Charon waist 2.jpg

The rising of the dead :)  I look forward to the revived build Ben

cheers

Pat

Can't have that mate; the dead would never get to their resting place ;)  Look forward to seeing it come alive )so to speak).

cheers

Pat

Coming on nicely Ben, seems like you have the 'paws' of approval

cheers

Pat

Did you get written consent before the demise of the donor? :D

Lawyer Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ahhh! Midnight requisition!

I doubt he will be missed anyway. He doesn't look all that fresh.

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I need your input here people. The picture below is the incomplete right arm so I have a question, should I make the elbow from nylon and make it an attachment on the upper arm or go with the material in the picture? Keep in mind the material in the picture will likely wear out much sooner than a nylon elbow. Now based on my last project that took me two years I've only used it four times and once I build something and get the bugs out of it I lose interest. I think the nylon will function better and longer but the metal finished parts will have a classier look. What do you think?

Right shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist and hand resized.jpg

Hi Ben,

If you think the boatman won't be operated that often after building, then make life easy for yourself and use the current elbow.  The decision is one of aesthetic over function; normally I would choose function - but your statement about limited use sort of sways me the other way.  From what you say it seems it will be more of a static display than an RC/powered model so the aesthetics may be slightly more important in this case?

Good luck

Pat

Because the arms will be covered by the arms of his cloak they won't be seen unless I lift the sleeve. I agree with you Banyan regarding the look but that will only be seen during the build. The right forearm will actually be free moving between the wrist and elbow and will operate on the same principal as a piston, rod and crankshaft. The only powered part of both arms will be at the shoulders. The left arm will be static from the shoulder to the hand except for the shoulder, it's job is to be the fulcrum of the oar and to raise and lower the oar. The right arm will be powered to move the oar fore and aft and to allow the forearm and oar to float up or down depending on the movement of the left arm. The arms of the cloak will cover the mechanics, plus I intend to put putty or something of that nature to help with his physical shape. I was going to make a nylon sleeve of a sort to slide onto the upper arm then use the tube with a drilled flattened end to insert the skeleton forearm into. So far the vote has been 75% in favour or using nylon.

The right arm and it's rowing motion. The arm is not finished yet, it is still too long at the upper arm and rather crude looking at the forearm. I had to heat the plastic skeleton arm and twist it 90 degrees to get the proper bend of the wrist while in motion. I squeezed the copper tubing tight onto the forearm drilled through the tubing and skeleton arm. I tapped one side of the tubing then passed a screw through the untapped side and into the tapped side then I was able to clamp the skeleton arm securely in the tube. The nylon part was turned on my lathe and drilled in the centre up to where the elbow joint is. I milled the area where the forearm would swing during the rowing motion then drilled the nylon tube and forearm to create the elbow.  

Rear of rowing position.jpg

Starting forward motion.jpg

Fully extended forward.jpg

That looks good Ben, he will uup and rowing (or is it paddling) before we know it :)

cheers

Pat