Spiling - Probably a Quick Answer

I'm not planking the hull yet, but have begun to plan for it. I came across some articles and pix about spiling. 

My Niagara build calls for 1/16"x3/32" sticks for hull planking. In some of the pix I saw, someone was really having to put a curve in the plank. Not bending but cutting an actual curve - spiling.

So if/when I have to do that does it mean I may start out with material that is wider than 3/32" ???  If yes, is it better to get some slightly wider sticks? Cut from a sheet?

I just ordered boxwood sticks for the hull, so if I need some additional material for spiling I want to get that ordered so it is on hand.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Good morning Mike

Yes you will need wider planks, I don't know enough yet myself to help you with what you need to do.

But this topic was going earlier

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12582-to-spile-or-not-to-spile/

I think in the past they looked for the trees with right bend in them.

Cheers Chris

I realize that the answer to my next question would depend on the hull, but on average what percentage of planks start out with wider material? Niagara has a narrow bow.

And again, assuming one must start wider, is it more economical to use wider planks? Use a sheet? I'm thinking sheet as anything you trim from a plank ends up waste.

I apologize if these are "duh" questions but I'm getting a little nervous over this.   AHmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ^_^

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike, I can't help you with the number of spiled planks you would need but would hazard it would be very limited. I think most people try to do a bit of edge bending to avoid all but the most obvious spiles - but that may not be a universally held view. The trouble with going to wider planks than those called for, except for those needed for spiling, is that they pose additional challenges because of the vertical hull curvature and they will severly limit edge bending (which is a moot point if you're prepared to spile everything anyway). I hope that may be of some use. Good luck,

Ian

Hi Mike, have a look at my Endeavour build, at a guess

I have used no more than 20 wider planks. the widest would have

been 8mm. A lot were 5 to 6mm wide

You need to mark out the planks on your hull to see what is needed.

Hooroo Chris

Mike,

You can make wider planks by edge gluing narrow planks.  It may look strange if you're not painting or coppering.  

If you use steam or hot water for making the planks pliable for bending, check whether the glue will hold up.  I use heat from a modified soldering iron for bending.  Fish glue stands the heat well.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

I don't mind doing the spiling. If that's how it was done then that's how I want to do it.

My concern was really to make sure I had the proper materials on hand.  It's a pet peeve of mine, getting motivated to work on something and then either running out of or not having the parts I need.

I have another timber order to make. so I'll add a few wider planks and maybe a sheet as well.

OK - I am going to order a few wider planks.  Would twice the usual width be sufficient?  Hull planks are 1/16"x3/32"  so maybe I order 1/16"x3/16" ?

Good call Dave. That's what I ended up doing.

• 3 weeks later...

My 'duh' of the day is what is 'sheet material'?  Got a picture of this?  Why is it easier to spile?

I am the last person to get concerned about authenticity (I just hope to finish a project) but wouldn't the builders use the same material in the shipyard, same length/width/deepth for this effort?

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

achuck40 - I was speaking of wood sheets. They might have been helpful in my situation because they come in all widths and thicknesses. Some are solid wood and some a mini ply-wood.  They can be had at most hobby places where you buy wood str