Deck planking plan feedback please

Hi all

I have spent a couple of days messing with deck planking plans for my brig supply. I decided to look at the primer tutorial in here and went for the 13524 plan at planks 100mm, I have attached my drawing plan and would also like to ask if deck plans are done from the tip of the bow to the back of the stern as this ship has three decks at different heights, or can each deck be planned individually. Will be a while before my deck is laid but I can use any spare time to prepare wood ect. Would a larger plank size be better, I want a staggered deck and will be caulking using grey pencil with a light oak varnish. Thank you.

post-23963-0-49224900-1458776373_thumb.jpeg

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

I'm thinking your planking plan is good to go.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes. It looks good!  ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

For the change of shift it is ok :-)

Just realize, that the scarfs follow the real beams underneath!!! Those are usually situated fore and aft the gratings, companionways, masts etc. and are not as regular as you show, thus resulting in different lengths of planks! Also no scarfs on the short pieces as in-between the gratings or near the head or stern.

Here some sketches I did for our german forum some time ago to show the approx position of the deck beams, I think based on Alert. Also added the planking pattern and the waterway.

Deck-beams.jpg

640_triton-0901.jpg

800_fischung.gif

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Realizing that it reflects North American practice rather than English, but in the Appendix of HASN, Chapelle includes a contract for two 600 ton Sloops of War for 1828.  The interesting factor for the deck is that for both the decking and the waterways it calls for planks averaging 40 feet in length.  It means that if you wish, your deck need not be so "busy" as far as the number of butt joints.

.I will repeat what I posted in Jan.  from the rules of the organization that was essentially the American version of Lloyds and probably used the rules from London as a basis for their own:

Record of American and Foreign Shipping

of

American Shipmasters' Association

1870  &  1885

Deck Plank

section 25.

The upper or main deck planking should be of the greatest obtainable length,

and free from defects, close-jointed and fastened with two spikes in each beam,

and one in each carling.  No butts of adjoining plank should be nearer each other

than the space of two beams ( when a strake intervenes the distance of one beam

will be allowed).  No butts should meet on the same beam, unless there be three

strakes between them.

Although this is from 1870, the properties of wood did not change, so these rules probably fit from 1650 on.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers