Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

This would be a big help Bob, thank you for sharing the links. I'll create an account for DelftShip thanks also for this idea too.

best regards,

Victor 

Edited by NavalArchAngel

I would also suggest SketchUp for your projects!

It's very accurate too.

This program has become very powerful and is also being used in the movie industry.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I would also suggest SketchUp for your projects!

It's very accurate too.

This program has become very powerful and is also being used in the movie industry.

Thank you Dr. Per. I'd like to learn SketchUp too. I wanted to learn Delft Ship for its hydrostatic calculation. Thank for the suggestion Dr. Per.

Best regards,

Victor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Victor,

Here is an old tutorial for Delftship. It's for old versions but you can find some important tips.

For up to date info you refer to the Delftship site. But as far as I know there is no tutorial any more for the newer versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/csib9v2n3aspwf5/AAB3YhlclxuvSCZvHPWVzYxla?dl=0

Hey Victor,

Here is an old tutorial for Delftship. It's for old versions but you can find some important tips.

For up to date info you refer to the Delftship site. But as far as I know there is no tutorial any more for the newer versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/csib9v2n3aspwf5/AAB3YhlclxuvSCZvHPWVzYxla?dl=0

Thanks for this information Ilhan. 

best regards,

Victor

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard good things from DelftShip but never tried it myself. I might just download it and give it a try at some point. I look forward to your comments on it. How have you found the program? 

Cheers

/Iain 

• 2 months later...

I have recently started messing about with Delftship and have a question.  In the offset table it asks for aft and forward contour lines.  Not really sure what this is supposed to be.  Can anyone illuminate this for me?

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Contour lines as I know them are a way to show 3 D surfaces on a sheet of paper using X, Y and Z coordinates. You will find them on USGS Quad maps and some other mapping depictions. I am moving toward that for my LST hull, converting flat plans to contours using X, Y  and Z coordinates

jud

Edited by jud

grsjax,

Have look here in the article database:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php There's an article on the lines drawings and articles on CAD work.  I"m not sure how much the CAD articles will help but there is one at the bottom of the page that might be some help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark

I did finally find an explanation of the terms aft and fore contours.  These are the line of the stem and transom in the x-y plane.  Not sure if that is correct.

I will check out the article.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

In Marks link, the last unlabeled piece by Kempson explains waterlines, those waterlines are contour lines. They are parallel to each other in vertical spacing and each line follows one elevation around the hull. That is what I have been aiming for on my LST efforts, my primary waterline is the main deck and it's projection under the rise on the bow.  Creating them from the frame shapes I obtained from photos and best guess from dimensionless plans. I have been been obtaining X, Y and Z coordinates at one foot or less intervals to draw my Waterlines, "contours". With ample contour lines, "water lines", I will be able to visually pick out any blunders I may have made in my frames before building. I chose contours because I have software that is designed to create contours from X, Y and Z coordinates then use those contours to draw cross sections, "outside frame shape",  to scale.

jud :pirate41:

Edited by jud

Here is a post I made a while back on getting started in DelfShip Free. These instructions were based on the program several versions ago, so some of them may be out of date.

My biggest complaint to the company was that they don't clearly define the terms they used in their manual.

An abbreviated DelftShip Offset Table glossary:

• X-coordinate—[Edited] distance forward from aft perpendicular. 0.0000 is the AP. Negative values are aft of the AP. [sorry about that. It's been over a year since I used the program. See the image from the DS manual below.]
  • Y-coordinate—distance athwartships from the model centerline. 0.0000 is the centerline. Negative values appear on opposite side of the centerline from "face" of the hull.
  • Z-coordinate—distance above the model baseline. For practical purposes, this should be at the height of the rabbet line for wooden ships. Making the baseline at the bottom of the keel really gets ugly unless you have a smooth, round-bottomed vessel. The "Draft" value should take this position into account.
  • Waterline—self explanatory. Defined by a common Z-coordinate above the baseline at all stations.
  • Station—self explanatory. Defined by a common X-coordinate at all waterlines or other longitudinal feature.
  • Deck Line—defined by the highest X-coordinate at each station or other longitudinal feature. You can't have the "Deck Line" lower than the tops of the stations for this feature to work. Basically the moulded rail line in conventional drawings.
  • Aft contour—the line defined by all the waterline/station points with a Y-coordinate of 0.0000 from the centerline at the aft end of the model. (It may also work for non-zero values if they define the distance of the rabbet line from the centerline. Never tried that.)
  • Forward contour—the line defined by all the waterline points with a Y-coordinate of 0.0000 above the baseline at the forward end of the model. (Ditto as for "Aft Contour".)
  • Flat of bottom—for flat-bottomed vessels like tankers, I think this tells the program to extend the bottom station Y-coordinate in the offset table to the centerline.
  • Length—must agree with the Project Settings length (between perpendiculars) value.
  • Beam—must agree with the Project Settings beam value.
  • Draft—this is the setting that determines where the waterline is drawn on the hull above the baseline. It must agree with the Project Settings draft value.

These are my best guesses, based on limited experience using the program. I recommend building the entire table in a spreadsheet, then exporting it as a plain ASCII text (.txt) file. Be aware that I had the best results by adding zeros in each column where there was no data. And you can't stick additional data between established waterlines to better define a sharp curve!

Page 35 of the current manual (manual_809_296_mc0.pdf) shows the file architecture. Waterline data are arranged horizontally; station data are arranged vertically.

Cheers!

post-17233-0-88138400-1472675833_thumb.jpg

Edited by CDR_Ret

X, Y and Z Coordinates define a point within a Rectangular Coordinate System, sometimes those points are located using a Polar System, direction and distance for the X, Y and adding the vertical angle and slope distance to get the Z, easier to reduce the slope into horizontal and vertical differences. Those who work with Rectangular Coordinate, except for Mathematicians, do so using the NE quadrant so there are no negative numbers or zeros floating around. I have set my LST Rectangular Coordinates up in the NE quadrant. My plans have the profile view from the Starboard side, the plan view in relation to the profile view with the bow to the right, the end views are standard with the bow rearward on the right and the transom forward on the left. Frames are numbered from the bow rearward. These plans use a horizontal base line under what would normal be the keel, being a LST, no keel but a Center line on the skid plate, not a big deal for plans, does effect steering, drift and ride, The decks are parallel to that Base line and the Frames are perpendicular, the bottom is on a slope for beaching.

My X coordinates begin with zero being about 108 feet aft of the transom and increase as they move forward, My Y coordinates are along the Center line and the center line coordinates are 100 with offsets based on that, the Y component is not seen from the profile view. The Z coordinates are based on the noted base line and the base line is at 100, that makes a Z component of 114.0000', 14 feet above the base line.

Using 2 D software forces me to sometimes use the Y coordinate as an X coordinate and the Z coordinate as a Y coordinate when working from an end view of a frame. Not a problem, easy to deal with and just an inconvenience to properly arrange the numbers for the final 3 D coordinate.

The Frames are numbered from the bow  but the frame numbers will be shown in the descriptors for each X, Y and Z Coordinate.

All set up so each 3 D coordinate will show where along the hull, how far left or right of center line and how far above the Baseline the point is as well as the frame it is an outboard part of. those points will be the control points for contour lines,'waterlines', from which I can extract adjusted and corrected cross sections.

jud

Edited by jud

Jud,

Setting your vessel's length to the overall dimensions is a good way to avoid negative axial coordinates. My drawings of Galilee were all dimensioned starting with the aft perpendicular, so, to avoid remeasuring all the stations, I just went with negative X values at the transom. The program can handle them. It's a computer after all.

Terry.